GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 owners in the S.C. upstate ?

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
That's a great picture GTI Jake -- two fine machines. My wife drives a Golf and me the GTI. I'll have to gather them for a similar fun shot.

Yes, the R's blue is gorgeous and unmistakable. I saw it from afar and thought that it MUST be an R. I sent the picture to my wife, noting that I'm not the only one who parks at the far end of parking lots away from everyone else. :giggle:
That R would have been YELLOW if you saw it the day before! Pollen is going full tilt down here. The rain was nice for a free wash today.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Took the new GTI for a spin this morning and it was soon covered in pollen. Posed it for a picture before it turned yellow. :confused: At 950 Miles, I am so in love with this car.

2021-03-28 001 Columbia SC DRK GTI - for upload.jpg

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Stopped by Columbia's Cars and Coffee this morning and took these snapshots. It's been many years since I last visited and the event has grown considerably since. Cars begin to disperse at about 10:30. I need to get there a little earlier next time.

2021-04-10 001 Cars and Coffee - for upload.jpg

2021-04-10 002 Cars and Coffee - for upload.jpg

2021-04-10 003 Cars and Coffee - for upload.jpg

2021-04-10 004 Cars and Coffee - for upload.jpg

2021-04-10 005 Cars and Coffee - for upload.jpg

2021-04-10 006 Cars and Coffee - for upload.jpg

2021-04-10 007 Cars and Coffee - for upload.jpg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Mk2 Synchro (AWD)?!

You're right I think -- it's definitely an MK2 and it's from Europe. The owner has just brought it to the U.S.. It suffered some bumper damage in transit that he wants to tend to first. He also wants to fabricate a mount so that he can hang his U.S. license plate from the European bracket.

The Audi is an A4. I saw that the engine is mounted with the cylinders aligned with the car's length, like a rear-wheel drive car. An interesting arrangement with this front wheel drive car, where I'm used to seeing the engine transversely mounted. I wonder if this is a result of some A4s being AWD with a drive shaft to the rear? The owner's done a nice job with various engine and interior details.

The pickup is a diesel, non-turbocharged, but with some engine enhancements like larger injectors to produce more power than stock.

I didn't park my new GTI amongst the cars, thinking that it's bone stock and not of much interest. However, I saw a number of new cars there of several brands and learned there's no stigma driving in with one.

Last edited:

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone going to Alpine Volks Fair in Helen, GA? May 20-23.
https://www.alpinevolksfair.com

I'm so happy to see that VW events are again underway in Helen, GA. My wife and I attended and enjoyed SOWO in May 2012, but we decided to not return after seeing (and hearing) the drunken lunacy that prevailed evenings. I'll have to see if we have that weekend open -- thanks for posting the link! :giggle:

Agray

Go Kart Champion
I'm so happy to see that VW events are again underway in Helen, GA. My wife and I attended and enjoyed SOWO in May 2012, but we decided to not return after seeing (and hearing) the drunken lunacy that prevailed evenings. I'll have to see if we have that weekend open -- thanks for posting the link! :giggle:
Ughhh is that the theme of the Helen, GA event?

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Not usually.

Won't be attending, will be in NoVa for interment ceremony at Arlington National.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion

It became that at the time and soon thereafter the town of Helen gave the event the boot and it disappeared for a number of years. From what I've heard, AlpineVolksFair is family friendly and draws a much more civilized crowd.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Short notice, but tomorrow on Sunday, 05/23/21 in Lexington, SC from 11 AM to 3 PM at 109 Old Chapin Road adjacent to the Flight Deck Restaurant is the first Lexington Imports Car Show. I don't know much about it, but thought it might be of interest. My wife and I might cruise out there and see what's up.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
A sizable crowd showed up in Lexington, SC today and the whole spectrum of import brands was well covered. I hope it incents the sponsors to try another show. I didn't take pictures of all of the V-dubs there, but here are a few. The Audi TT RS in Turbo Blue is a beautiful car! Next is a Jetta R-Line and last a vintage wagon.

2021-05-23 001 Audi TT Lexington SC - for upload.jpg

2021-05-23 002 VW Jetta R Lexington SC - for upload.jpg

2021-05-23 003 VW Wagon Lexington SC - for upload.jpg

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
My wife and I were in her Golf driving south on I-77 yesterday around Ft. Mill, SC and an Audi A4 driven by a young man pulled up next to us and with a few hand signals, invited us to run with him I think. We were coming home from Charlotte after a long flight, and had no interest in motorsports. He hit the gas and was gone in an instant. Gotta say that his A4 was impressively quick! I don't think I'd want to drive that fast -- too much at risk.