GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 owners in the S.C. upstate ?

wizmk7gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Got rear ended today [emoji24]. Prob gonna need a new rear bumper....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vintage Auto is a place where I deliver parts all the time, great shop and folks. The shop is super clean. They really know their stuff and do superb work, especially with older cars. Donald runs the show and is the Beetle expert. Dave Martin does air-cooled as well and is really well versed in all modern water-cooled cars too. You'd be in good hands there.
Does Vintage Auto , or anybody else in the area for that matter do walnut valve cleaning?

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Does Vintage Auto , or anybody else in the area for that matter do walnut valve cleaning?
Give them a call, very good indy shop and an APR vendor too.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Planning to do some indoor Karting in Charlotte Wednesday 22 January 2020 at 5:00

PM if you want in, we’ll all be signing up as a group. Best part is week days it’s buy one get one for the races, and they don’t expire!

We have six in the group right now, shooting for a dozen.

https://www.victorylanekarting.com/

Mhamstead19

Ready to race!
So I installed the VWR springs this past weekend, everything went well for the most, car feels great and rides great. BUT the driver side front strut has a creak, like metal on rubber. IT's driving me crazy. I'm thinking its either the strut nut isn't tight enough or the spring isn't seated correctly. Any ideas? Definitely would love the input or help!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So I installed the VWR springs this past weekend, everything went well for the most, car feels great and rides great. BUT the driver side front strut has a creak, like metal on rubber. IT's driving me crazy. I'm thinking its either the strut nut isn't tight enough or the spring isn't seated correctly. Any ideas? Definitely would love the input or help!

Nailed it. If you torqued it without spring compressors on or used an impact your odds of this happening are about 100x worse

Only way to fix it is to buy a new strut mount and bearing and redo that corner

Mhamstead19

Ready to race!
Nailed it. If you torqued it without spring compressors on or used an impact your odds of this happening are about 100x worse

Only way to fix it is to buy a new strut mount and bearing and redo that corner
So what exactly went wrong? I have done this job a few times before (not on a VW) and watched the DAP guys video. He uses an impact on that nut....of course mine is a little dewalt battery and he had air tools. I guess I'm just trying to figure out what broke.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So what exactly went wrong? I have done this job a few times before (not on a VW) and watched the DAP guys video. He uses an impact on that nut....of course mine is a little dewalt battery and he had air tools. I guess I'm just trying to figure out what broke.

DAP literally gives the worst advice in the industry.

Dealer techs cut corners and zing those nuts off and on to save 2 minutes.

In doing so the strut shaft spins and you literally have no clue how much, if any torque was applied.

So now you’re driving around with a loose strut top nut and the mount is moving where it shouldn’t be, causing noise. Eventually it’ll go from a squeak to a rattle as the mount beats itself to death

Mhamstead19

Ready to race!
I wrote this thread back in 2016 to help people avoid the dap induced damage.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...pring-install-diy-tips-tools-and-pics.337350/
Well that's a bummer, bc my buddy who can help me live in raleigh and came down last weekend to help, of course didn't make any noise before he left. Should I trust a shop to repair that side? Or attempt to do it myself? I'm obviously late to the mk7 game, didn't realize DAP wasn't a good source to follow.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
What Jake is saying is that if you used an impact to tighten the strut nut, and did not hold the strut piston in place, the piston can rotate (spin) and the nut will not tighten all the way. The spring seat can rotate out of place with an impact as well. Also, did you replace the strut bearings? those can make noise if they have a few miles. I have a proper strut nut tool with 21mm/22mm sockets and a hole in the middle to get a hex socket down to the strut piston to hold it in place. It also has a 3/8 square to allow attachment of a torque wrench. Let me know if you need it or some help with your noise issue. I've done a few MK7 spring installs.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
No reason to pay a shop, although it stinks to pull it all apart it’s not that big of a deal.

Fresh mount and bearing and you’ll be all set, if you’re not able to meet up with Shortyb a spark plug socket, box wrench and Allen key can be substituted if you don’t have the special tools (pictures in the thread a posted).