GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

MK7 owners in the S.C. upstate ?

GTI Jake

Autocross Newbie
So what exactly went wrong? I have done this job a few times before (not on a VW) and watched the DAP guys video. He uses an impact on that nut....of course mine is a little dewalt battery and he had air tools. I guess I'm just trying to figure out what broke.
Nailed it. If you torqued it without spring compressors on or used an impact your odds of this happening are about 100x worse
DAP literally gives the worst advice in the industry.

Dealer techs cut corners and zing those nuts off and on to save 2 minutes.

In doing so the strut shaft spins and you literally have no clue how much, if any torque was applied.

So now you’re driving around with a loose strut top nut and the mount is moving where it shouldn’t be, causing noise. Eventually it’ll go from a squeak to a rattle as the mount beats itself to death

GTI Jake

Autocross Newbie
I wrote this thread back in 2016 to help people avoid the dap induced damage.

Mhamstead19

Ready to race!
I wrote this thread back in 2016 to help people avoid the dap induced damage.

Well that's a bummer, bc my buddy who can help me live in raleigh and came down last weekend to help, of course didn't make any noise before he left. Should I trust a shop to repair that side? Or attempt to do it myself? I'm obviously late to the mk7 game, didn't realize DAP wasn't a good source to follow.

shortyb

Ready to race!
Ride
The crazy train
What Jake is saying is that if you used an impact to tighten the strut nut, and did not hold the strut piston in place, the piston can rotate (spin) and the nut will not tighten all the way. The spring seat can rotate out of place with an impact as well. Also, did you replace the strut bearings? those can make noise if they have a few miles. I have a proper strut nut tool with 21mm/22mm sockets and a hole in the middle to get a hex socket down to the strut piston to hold it in place. It also has a 3/8 square to allow attachment of a torque wrench. Let me know if you need it or some help with your noise issue. I've done a few MK7 spring installs.

GTI Jake

Autocross Newbie
No reason to pay a shop, although it stinks to pull it all apart it’s not that big of a deal.

Fresh mount and bearing and you’ll be all set, if you’re not able to meet up with Shortyb a spark plug socket, box wrench and Allen key can be substituted if you don’t have the special tools (pictures in the thread a posted).

Mhamstead19

Ready to race!
Thanks guys, appreciate the help. Just saw this, as I’m heading back from dropping my car off at vintage auto. They seemed confident they knew what was going on and could fix it by lunch for not too much money. I told them what you guys told me...hopefully this evening I’ll be driving in peace and quiet.

Dysfunktional

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. Just saw this, as I’m heading back from dropping my car off at vintage auto. They seemed confident they knew what was going on and could fix it by lunch for not too much money. I told them what you guys told me...hopefully this evening I’ll be driving in peace and quiet.
Let us know how that goes... He did the downpipe on my R. No complaints and very reasonable price

seanmcd1

Drag Race Newbie
No but did just get an APR STAGE1 93 LOW TORQUE TUNE. After 66k and 5 years of vacillating. I feel like a grownup now.
What's the latest version of that tune? I got the same tune last June, it's version 2.0.1. It's been 10,000 miles so far and I think it's been great. It's even better now with a FMIC installed. First 90 degree day here today in the Midlands.

wizmk7gti

What's the latest version of that tune? I got the same tune last June, it's version 2.0.1. It's been 10,000 miles so far and I think it's been great. It's even better now with a FMIC installed. First 90 degree day here today in the Midlands.
Don't know version #. But I like it a lot. I'll see if I can find out.