GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

mk7 (orig. equip. - under bumper) front spoiler remove and replace problems

Stevelk

Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Hi. New poster, hope this is the best place.

My 2017 GTI front spoiler was hosed after my boys and I have driven it awhile.

I bought a new one (5GM807217HGRU), and am now trying to install it. part of the bumper cover is banged up, with some missing tabs.

My question is this: can I replace this part without removing the bumper cover? I think there's enough tabs, etc. left on the cover and I have all the screws. Can this be done? I'm not a mechanic by a long shot but I have tools and can jack up the car properly, etc.

But, removing the bumper cover (already banged up some) seems kinda above my pay grade..

I think maybe I have to remove it, based on trying to just push the cover into place.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Steve

Last edited:

galaxy

If you mean those two stock splitters on both sides under the front bumper, yes you have to remove the bumper to remove or install the splitters. The tabs/clips are insider the bumper to hold them in place.

Stevelk

Car(s)
2017 GTI S
If you mean those two stock splitters on both sides under the front bumper, yes you have to remove the bumper to remove or install the splitters. The tabs/clips are insider the bumper to hold them in place.
Thanks for the reply. No, actually I mean the larger plastic piece (called the front spoiler) I think I included the wrong # last post, sorry about that. It is 5GM805915A9B9, that goes across the entire front. It fits into the bumper cover, but looks as if you could push it into it. It is this piece:

1612236145997.png

So :) , again, my question is this: Can I remove and replace this VW part with a new VW part without having to also remove the bumper cover?

Last edited:

Stevelk

Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Bump. Anyone know anything about this (see above post)? I don't think I want to remove my bumper cover.

Thanks.

--
Steve

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
You need to remove the bumper cover AND the lower grill (which is clipped into the lower spoiler and is even more of a PITA). It can be done, there are videos on YouTube showing how to remove the bumper. Be careful with the clips, especially on the lower grill. I used a small screwdriver and taped over the tip but a plastic trim removal tool would be even better.

Stevelk

Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Thanks alot. I was afraid of that. where the lower bumper cover meets the spoiler has alot of tabs etc, and is beat up pretty good. I'm worried about that.. I'll look at the lower grill as well. thanks again.

--
Steve

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
Np Steve I recently did a bumper swap and if I remember correctly the lower spoiler clips into the bumper cover first and the lower grill in after with tabs interlocking on its lower edge. Just take your time being as careful as you can and it’s possible to remove them without breaking any tabs. Wear some sort of hand protection though, I beat up my hands pretty good.