GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Noise from the front (hood/bonnet)

krssrj

Car(s)
Golf 7 1.2 TSi
Hello everyone,

I am facing a problem for the last few months.

My Golf 7 (1.2 TSi) makes loud constant noise when i drive above 50 kmph. It is much worse at around 70-80 kmph and then still slowly increases with the speed. It is very easy to get headache and/or irritation if I drive for more than an hour.

Here is my video snippet: https://www.veed.io/view/1c9a0b9e-f393-4017-b830-79853eef5ea3

Some observations/things to note:
1. The noise raises with the speed
2. The noise is there even when the engine is off (eg. switching of the ignition key while driving)
3. I believe the noise is not from the engine - e.g. while the car is parked when I give gas to get the rpm to 3-4k the noise I get is pure engine noise - and it is not the noise I get while driving
4. The noise is present at all gears and no direct link to RPM (apart from the regular noise that happens at a higher RPM)
5. Changed tires 2 months back to check whether the noise is coming from the enigne
6. Yearly service (in Jan) didn't fix the issue.
7. Noise is heard around the year summer/winter, with AC on/off.

Can anyone help me to understand the cause?

Thanks a lot and best regards,
RR

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
If the noise is not related to the engine or engine rpm, then it can only be everything after the gearbox...so driveshafts, hub bearing

What you need to do is when the noise is happening, can you place the gearbox in neutral??....this is to rule out the gearbox..

Michael gti07

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Rabbit Cornflowerblu
I hear tread noise.
What brand of tire? It really sounds like a offroad tire, or heavily treaded winter tire.
Did you replace tires for bad wear issues? Maybe alignment is off? Too much toe in or out!

(Weak possibility) -- Are all the screws in place in the undertray, and wheel wells?
Get the car up on jacks and spin all the wheels to see if you've a bad wheel bearing(s)!
Or a lift and put it in drive with all wheels in the air and walk around the car to see if the sound is replicated.

krssrj

Car(s)
Golf 7 1.2 TSi
If the noise is not related to the engine or engine rpm, then it can only be everything after the gearbox...so driveshafts, hub bearing

What you need to do is when the noise is happening, can you place the gearbox in neutral??....this is to rule out the gearbox..
Sorry for the silence. I am on a vacation trip.

thanks for the tip.

I tried that already... I did try it in neutral, and once the engine switched off - the noise was there.

krssrj

Car(s)
Golf 7 1.2 TSi
I hear tread noise.
What brand of tire? It really sounds like a offroad tire, or heavily treaded winter tire.
Did you replace tires for bad wear issues? Maybe alignment is off? Too much toe in or out!

(Weak possibility) -- Are all the screws in place in the undertray, and wheel wells?
Get the car up on jacks and spin all the wheels to see if you've a bad wheel bearing(s)!
Or a lift and put it in drive with all wheels in the air and walk around the car to see if the sound is replicated.
Sorry for the silence. I am on a vacation trip.

thanks for the tip.

I changed the tires with that same fear => the noise was there with my old tires and with the new ones as well. Earlier the car had Goodyear and now Michelin Cross Climate 2.

I will buy a jack to try it out or in early Sep I am going to the garage to check it. I will keep you posted.

Thanks!