GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 meet up minnesota June 6th 2020

Chris_Bob

Ready to race!
Hey All,

Sorry, I've been crazy busy at work 🚲 and now protecting my home in S. Mpls 5th precinct...😖😰👿

I hope you all are safe and now enjoying more freedoms.

So, here is a plan, sound off and let me know if I'll be driving alone or hanging with VW pals. This is just an idea and totally malleable. I've got the day off work and would love to meet up with y'all, scope each other's rides, and go for a cruise.

Plan: Meet at MN Interstate State Park near Taylor's Falls at 10 AM Sat 6/6. Hang out, meet & greet, scope rides. Depart on cruise at 11:30 AM and follow route into WI around and about and then back through Osceola to Interstate Park. Route is about 44 miles. I have no idea if all of these roads are open or good but it seems pretty scenic. We are all in daily drivers, yes? I didn't check but there may be gravel on this route. We can always alter route if the road is uncool (gravel, road construction.) I wanted a bit more elevation change but this is what I came up with. I figure Interstate Park is better as a meet point (for a single day event) for the more northern folk than a Red Wing or more southern route.

Can someone figure out food? Maybe we could order ahead and stop somewhere for takeout and then take to a picnicking area? Maybe we could do a potluck at Interstate Park post cruise if we have enough people?

Attached is the route as a PDF. I made it with Map My Ride. If you sign up for Under Armour's Map My Fitness I can send you a link that has a .GPX download option.

Attachments

• MK7 Cruise - MapMyRide.pdf
    613.6 KB · Views: 139

Chris_Bob

Ready to race!
BTW, reply with what you will be driving, who you will be with, and food ideas.

I will be driving my Midnight Blue 2018 GSW4MO 6MT. I may bring 1 or 2 of my kids and possibly my spouse, Rachel depending...

If we have a full turnout I think grilling burgers and dogs at Interstate as a potluck would be cool. We could also find pizza on route and try to get back fast enough that it is still warm. :unsure::cool:

Static337

Passed Driver's Ed
Here's a photo of there parking layout at cars and coffee. Any thought as to meeting up at spectator parking or actually in the show? If everyone is game for june 6th.
This all sounds cool to me. But I wont be able to make it. Seems like alot of craziness going on in mpls right now might wait for that to die down a bit before heading that way.

Chris_Bob

Ready to race!
I checked out Interstate Park and ran the route today. It's all good. Really fun roads. No gravel or construction. Feels kinda Euro. There is a chance that Interstate Park might be busy though. Not quite sure how that will play out with parking or getting a picnic table.

Saw this white GTI at Interstate.
20200603_163449.jpg

20200603_163419.jpg

Chris_Bob

Ready to race!
This all sounds cool to me. But I wont be able to make it. Seems like alot of craziness going on in mpls right now might wait for that to die down a bit before heading that way.

I get it.

In case I can change your mind, we will be at least an hour away from the craziness. Also, I encountered almost no traffic on the route, especially from Taylor's Falls to Lake Wapogasset on the east end of the route. The biggest town we go through is Osceola, WI at about 3K people and all the other towns were almost unnoticeable they are so small. I personally felt very safe around there.

Anyway, if you aren't comfortable, I get it. No sweat, no pressure.

Chris_Bob

Ready to race!
For food, I think Pizza from Pizza Cellar in Osceola. Time is running short for organizing a potluck and I don't really want to deal with the prep and cleanup of grilling. There is a canoe landing on the MN side of the river from Osceola where we could eat the pizza. Not as nice as Interstate Park but will be a higher likelihood of not being too busy.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I checked out Interstate Park and ran the route today. It's all good. Really fun roads. No gravel or construction. Feels kinda Euro. There is a chance that Interstate Park might be busy though. Not quite sure how that will play out with parking or getting a picnic table.

Saw this white GTI at Interstate.
View attachment 175646
View attachment 175647

Dude. You redacted his plate and not yours. While you don’t find it important you respected he might. +1 civility.

Chris_Bob

Ready to race!
Here's a better map and route notes.

Pizza stop in Osceola. Eat at Interstate Park. Photo ops at Interstate Park are good. If it's too busy/nowhere to park we can head back to mile marker 35.5 to the boat ramp to eat and hang out.

Meet at Interstate Park starting at 10 AM. Depart on cruise at 11:30 AM. Return to Interstate Park 1-1:30 PM.

Hope to see you there!

MK7 Cruise Updated.JPG
MK7 Cruise - Notes-1.jpg

databurst

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks like a nice outing and good weather for it. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it as doing the Kannonball Rally. Hopefully I'll be able to make a future gathering. Have fun!

IMG_8784.png

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Can someone explain to me what these “blah blah rally’s” are?

My only knowledge of cannonball type events is people risking others to get to point b the fastest. I see cars, mostly enthusiast types adorned in garish vinyl, and driving like asshats through traffic.

are these event just that, or are the a rally set out like the road rallies of SCCA’s fame? That is, with timed stages where the goal is to reach the end at the prescribed time, not earlier or later.

Last edited:

Chris_Bob

Ready to race!
Can someone explain to me what these “blah blah rally’s” are?

My only knowledge of cannonball type events is people risking others to get to point b the fastest. I see cars, mostly enthusiast types adorned in garish vinyl, and driving like asshats through traffic.

are these event just that, or are the a rally set out like the road rallies of SCCA’s fame? That is, with timed stages where the goal is to reach the end at the prescribed time, not earlier or later.

I've never been on one. I saw one in Indianapolis a couple of years ago. It was unexpected and pretty cool. There is usually a charity involved. The attraction is lots of really nice cars and car people. Plus the organizers kinda set everything up for you. I like my car but I don't think it's rally material. I've never seen a price but given 6 figure cars show up, I figure, if ya gotta ask, ya can't afford it.

I think there are a lot of dumbass you tube videos out there. I also think the MN Kannonball is a bit more tame as far as aggressive driving.

And no, I don't think they are like the old SCCA rallys. More of a cruise and show.

https://www.kannonballfun.com/

Last edited:

Chris_Bob

Ready to race!
I've never been on one. I saw one in Indianapolis a couple of years ago. It was unexpected and pretty cool. There is usually a charity involved. The attraction is lots of really nice cars and car people. Plus the organizers kinda set everything up for you. I like my car but I don't think it's rally material. I've never seen a price but given 6 figure cars show up, I figure, if ya gotta ask, ya can't afford it.

I think there are a lot of dumbass you tube videos out there. I also think the MN Kannonball is a bit more tame as far as aggressive driving.

And no, I don't think they are like the old SCCA rallys. More of a cruise and show.

https://www.kannonballfun.com/

I read a bit more and there are checkpoints but only known by clues as opposed to exact location. They described it like Amazing Race.