GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Manual Transmission Oil change howto

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
My 2016 6MT Golf R has 29k on it. Seeing that OP changed his manual trans oil at 13k got me thinking that I should do mine or at least inspect the oil. Thank you for the detailed procedure.

No, you’re fine.

If you don’t do any track driving the manufactures recommendation should be just fine.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
No, you’re fine.

If you don’t do any track driving the manufactures recommendation should be just fine.
Except that VW thinks the gear oil is a lifetime fluid (doesn't need to be changed), especially since it is Fuel economy-minded 75w85 gear oil (Fuchs Titan sintopoid FE 75w85)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Audi Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
Some cars, like Astra Redline, spec a single MTF change at 6000mi, then no others.

Be aware, new VAG MTF is VERY thin at 6cSt, thinner than ATF. Tuner shops still dump in 75w-90 GL-5 GEAR OIL. Going up a little is not a bad idea, it's quieter and handles more power easier. With this said, Pennzoil Synchromesh is really the best of the bunch at 10cSt. Redline MTL, the thinnest blend, is also very good.

Guys in Canada used Dexron III Mobil 1 ATF for a long time for extreme cold. Dex 3 or 6 is correct as far as not being "friction modified", and will let the synchros grab. That's why GL-5 gear oil works poorly, it's too slick for synchro engagement. Same for ATFs like ATF+4 or Mercon V.

I'll look the thread over better and chime in again if I can help. PZ Synchromesh was like butter in every trans I used it.

Audi Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
I just changed my tranny fluid in my 2019 SE. I used Motul Gear 300 and am very pleased with this oil. Shifting is very easy and smooth (as it was before the oil change) and I think the power is more direct....I know that sounds dumb but I can feel a difference in the way power is sent to the wheels.
Motul is a quality product and well worth the money, especially considering that tranny oil is changed so infrequently.

That is a combo GL-4/5 which is less than ideal for either application, however I would use it in a diff.

It's also > 2x as thick as speced. If you have a winter climate, it will do very poorly esp short trip driving....soaking up power the whole time.

Synchromesh excels in cold.

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Shop DAP video on how to change MT oil

Notes Motul 300 may be notchy shifts in cold climate

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Sorry to bring this back to life.

I wanna know is it best to change your transmission oil?

I do tend to have sloppy shifts at times and my clutch rattles when Im in neutral(today was noticeably louder). Maybe VW dealers offer transmission oil changes?? I asked a service manager there once n he said VW recommends not to replace the oil bc it last a lifetime. Im new to this car thing so I dont have much experience with this. Especially when it comes to manuals and doing maintenance for the car to last.

If you guys recommend the oils mentioned in earlier post I’ll take that route! IF IT DOESNT VOID MY WARRANTY

Thanks

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Sorry to bring this back to life.

I wanna know is it best to change your transmission oil?

I do tend to have sloppy shifts at times and my clutch rattles when Im in neutral(today was noticeably louder). Maybe VW dealers offer transmission oil changes?? I asked a service manager there once n he said VW recommends not to replace the oil bc it last a lifetime. Im new to this car thing so I dont have much experience with this. Especially when it comes to manuals and doing maintenance for the car to last.

If you guys recommend the oils mentioned in earlier post I’ll take that route! IF IT DOESNT VOID MY WARRANTY

Thanks

It can last for ever but is recommended to be changed at 70k miles is a matter of preference and preventing maintenance.
It’s not going to void your warranty unless you mess up putting the wrong oil or something strange like that.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It can last for ever but is recommended to be changed at 70k miles is a matter of preference and preventing maintenance.
It’s not going to void your warranty unless you mess up putting the wrong oil or something strange like that.

Nothing can last forever. Just use high quality gear oil that meets the specs.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I would say that the tube you were using to fill was in to far and was being blocked not allowing fluid into the trans. Mine went in without trouble, maybe just pull the tube back a little.

OCT0PUSCRIME

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf TSI
I would say that the tube you were using to fill was in to far and was being blocked not allowing fluid into the trans. Mine went in without trouble, maybe just pull the tube back a little.

I drove it for a bit and it felt fine. I brought it back home and lifted the front up as high as my jack would allow and put a little more in there. I got maybe half a quart more in. This is still about 1 quart lower than called for. I did have the hose pulled out a bit more this time. I just find it very strange that it is so much less than called for.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I am assuming that the car was fairly level when you did this service? I put mine up on jack stands at all four points. Also, I assume that the fill plug was removed when you drained the trans.?