GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 hood latch assembly replacement

tywemc

Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum; just got my Golf R 2016 two days ago. After I left the dealer, I noticed the hood lever was extended and there was no tension on it. Long story short, a friend and I got the hood open and found that the cable-spring-cable junction had failed.

I know this is common on Golfs and for now, we have our own mechanism in place that works and a backup if that doesn't work. I want to replace it with a proper mechanism/assembly though. I could order an OEM part but that seems foolish if the part fails often.

On to my question, Is there a higher quality aftermarket hood release assembly I can install so I won't have to worry about this in the future?

Thanks!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum. If you just got the car and after you left the dealer you noticed this why aren't you getting right back to the dealer to fix it for free? They obviously had the hood open and knew about the problem.

tywemc

Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Welcome to the forum. If you just got the car and after you left the dealer you noticed this why aren't you getting right back to the dealer to fix it for free? They obviously had the hood open and knew about the problem.
The salesman popped the hood like normal and it worked. We closed the hood, drove it, I ended up buying it. Halfway home, I stopped for gas and was looking for the gas door release and saw the hood release was fully extended but the hood was securely latched. I emailed them once I got back and technically I bought it "as is". They never got back to me. The dealership is about 3 hours away. I think the cable broke literally at that moment. Just bad luck..

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would ask them to fix it anyway. Can't hurt. Phone calls are better.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Welcome to the forum. The most common failure mode is not a broken cable, but rather the ball (attached to cable) slips out of its receptacle due to the plastic junction box which secures them together failing. Couple of zip ties will resolve.

The most difficult part is opening up the hood to repair. I ended up destroying my grill to gain access and with a long 10mm open ended wrench was able to remove the clasp on hood. Others have been able to access without destroying grill.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...our-bonnet-release-cable-junction-box.365541/

tywemc

Car(s)
2016 Golf R