GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 high miles

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
Folks its halfway through 2020. With the next gen mk8 on the horizon, I’m curious who has the highest miles? I’m new to the vw family With my new 2019 gti SE. My last car was a 2012 forester that was plague with issues including the dreadful oil consumption.
please provide your input:

1) year/trim/miles racked
2) how has your car treated you?
3) what was the Last car you drove before your mk7/7.5?

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
65K miles on my 2015 GTI SE. Only issue was a bad coil at 40K miles. My wife drives my 325i BMW. I still drive my 97 Civic HX that I purchased new as I am trying to get 1/2 million miles; currently at 418K and it runs like new as I am not bad with a wrench.

Another similar, but dated thread. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/whos-go-the-most-miles-on-their-mkvii.345316/
I saw that but was curious on how everyone else is doing since then. 2020 has been really shitty so far.

vwGTILife

Go Kart Newbie
Awesome! Can I ask how you able to locate those threads? I used the search function but was able to locate the last one. My results were mostly dated comments. Sorry I’m new to this forum.
Most people do a google search and put golfmk7.com in the search along with fhe keywords you are searching for. It seems to work better than the websites built in search function.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Awesome! Can I ask how you able to locate those threads? I used the search function but was able to locate the last one. My results were mostly dated comments. Sorry I’m new to this forum.

Search function is a little picky. You should be able to get the relevant threads if you drop in the right key words.

Another option is to use google search in this format - “Golfmk7.com followed by search subject”.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
2015 GTI dsg s, 71k. Only thing that broke was fuel cap lock mechanism and minor coolant loss.

VW_Fast

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI Autobahn
2015 VW GTI DSG Autobahn 2001K miles
charcoal canister & front wheel bearing
replaced under warranty, just replaced water pump and thermostat, thinking should have replaced heating core, heat takes long time and not very hot. decarb at 110K and and just did another decarb while intake manifold was off at 200K.

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
replaced under warranty, just replaced water pump and thermostat, thinking should have replaced heating core, heat takes long time and not very hot. decarb at 110K and and just did another decarb while intake manifold was off at 200K.
Holy cow! That’s impressive. Can I ask how religious we’re you with maintenance?

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
How bad was the carbon build up? Do you have any pictures at 100k? Humble mechanic posted his at 10k with a good bit of build up. Not sure if it could be caused by his own modifications as he added a lot more variables.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Folks its halfway through 2020. With the next gen mk8 on the horizon, I’m curious who has the highest miles? I’m new to the vw family With my new 2019 gti SE. My last car was a 2012 forester that was plague with issues including the dreadful oil consumption.
please provide your input:

1) year/trim/miles racked
2) how has your car treated you?
3) what was the Last car you drove before your mk7/7.5?
1) 17'/Sport/69k

2) The only part I've had to replace that wasn't a mod is a strut bearing about 1000 miles ago.

3) MK6 Golf TDI, VW bought it back after I put 101k miles on it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I've found on any modern vehicle the main issue is deteriorating rubber and plastic hoses. The rubber gets soft and the plastic gets brittle. Of course most of these parts are custom formed and only available from a VW dealer at obscenely inflated prices. Weather and the engine and underhood heat are the culprits. If it's your only vehicle and you need to rely on it daily I would be wary of keeping it over 10 years unless you're prepared to deal with it.

VW_Fast

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI Autobahn
Holy cow! That’s impressive. Can I ask how religious we’re you with maintenance?
Only serviced at VW Dealer. Oil changes every 5K, replace air filter and cabin filter every 20K, replaced plugs every 50K, DSG service every 30K, replaced coils at 100K, replaced serpentine belt at 100K and 200K. Rotate Michelin Pilots AS3+ every 5K. All suspension is original. The is the highest mileage car I have ever owned….going to see if I can 300K miles. Love this car!