GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI Webasto Parking Heater

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
What’s the parking heater?
It's a gas powered heater that warms up your coolant and runs the blower motor to warm up your car in the winter. Best option volkswagen put in a car

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
The remote won't work until you pair it. There are instructions on how to do it online. I had the same problem with the infotainment part of the install. I switched to European climate control and changed my mib2 to a later one at the same time so I'm not sure which one fixed it. I was leaning toward the mib2 being the problem. The one i had was a very early revision.

There is alot of coding for the heater. Alot of modules have to know about it. And the mib2 has some adaptations as well. I focused on the remote first, getting that working.
Cool cool, thanks. I will try pairing it again, maybe it didn't work the first time. I pulled the fuse for the receiver and plugged it back in then pressed OFF on the remote. But that was before I had anything installed. Will try to get the remote working first.

Hope I don't need a new MIB lol. I would think by 2018 they'd have the right software. I ordered a climatronic + aux heater panel, if that doesn't fix it maybe I can try a software update on the MIB.

Just for reference, this is the coding I've done so far (work in progress). Just piecing together different posts online.

01 - Engine
  • Long coding
    • byte 03, bit 2 activated (Auxiliary heater - installed)
08 - Air Conditioning
  • Long coding
    • byte 05, bit 7 activated (I think this enables the "Automatic supplementary heating" checkbox in the climate settings)
    • byte 06, bit 0 activated (Parking heater - installed. There's an option in obdeleven for this called "Parking ventilation" that I haven't tried)
18 - Parking Heater
  • Fuel line filling process
    • Check Adaptations -> Initial fuel filling. If it's Yes, set it to No. The login code for me was 20103.
    • Go to Basic Settings -> Fuel line filling. Set the time in seconds to something over 60 at least and run it. It took around 1.5 to 2 minutes for gas to start coming out the line.
    • If it didn't run for long enough, set the Initial fuel filling adaptation back to No (again) and run the basic setting again til you get gas dripping out. (You'll get an error saying marginal conditions haven't been met if you don't reset the adaptation every time)
19 - Gateway
  • Edit the Installation List (the red pencil icon in OBDeleven) and check off (18) auxiliary heater.
5F - Multimedia
  • Adaptations
    • Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2
      • auxiliary_heating_0x03: activated
      • auxiliary_heating_0x03_msg_bus: Comfort databus
    • Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2
      • menu_display_auxiliary_heating: activated
      • menu_display_auxiliary_heating_over_threshold_high: activated

Last edited:

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
18 mib2 shouldn't be a problem, I think that's the year gti mine came out of. I used odis to program the remote and it was a pain. Took like 5 tries before it programmed.

I could have sworn there were more adaptations and coding for the 5f module. I'll copy my adaptations after work for the 5f and post em. Maybe that will help

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Thanks man if you have the time it would be much appreciated.

I also found some coding that probably needs to be changed in the heater. After I switched OBDeleven into German mode, I can now see more bit descriptions. Start/stop is enabled and also hybrid drive. Makes sense because the pump that came with the heater was for a hybrid/GTE. My heater's long code right now is D3 09. Do you remember having to change anything there?

Last edited:

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Thanks man if you have the time it would be much appreciated.

I also found some coding that probably needs to be changed in the heater. After I switched OBDeleven into German mode, I can now see more bit descriptions. Start/stop is enabled and also hybrid drive. Makes sense because the pump that came with the heater was for a hybrid/GTE. My heater's long code right now is D3 09. Do you remember having to change anything there?
I had to change a whole bunch in the heater. My coding for the heater is 9308

There is coding for heater in bcm too. I copied my adaptations for my 5f. When I get home I will post.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Here is my admap for 5F. I activated anything that had auxiliary in the name.

Attachments

• admap.txt
    81.7 KB · Views: 86

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Much appreciated, thank you. I took a quick look and there’s some I didn’t do like auxiliary_climatization and auxiliary_ventilation.

And I think I found the BCM one, it’s in Anti-theft device or something like that.

If it still doesn’t work I’ll just wait for the new panel 🤷‍♂️

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
After trying many things and it still not working, I found this page (https://www.drive2.com/l/567892534139814039/) which translated, says if you don't change the climate panel, it won't work as a parking heater and you'll get the "function not available" message. So just have to wait and freeze in the meantime 💀 lol oh well. I did use ODIS-E to pair the remote and that worked.

While going down this rabbit hole I also found that there's a newer software that you can put on the Webasto, but couldn't find what it changes. https://www.drive2.com/l/527977788150382629/ Have the file but I don't know if I'm brave enough to risk messing it up though.

@xabhax are you still having problems with EVAP? I forgot to mention that the nipple on top of the pump is open to the tank. Just used a razor blade to cut off the cap on top.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Much appreciated, thank you. I took a quick look and there’s some I didn’t do like auxiliary_climatization and auxiliary_ventilation.

And I think I found the BCM one, it’s in Anti-theft device or something like that.

If it still doesn’t work I’ll just wait for the new panel

After trying many things and it still not working, I found this page (https://www.drive2.com/l/567892534139814039/) which translated, says if you don't change the climate panel, it won't work as a parking heater and you'll get the "function not available" message. So just have to wait and freeze in the meantime 💀 lol oh well. I did use ODIS-E to pair the remote and that worked.

While going down this rabbit hole I also found that there's a newer software that you can put on the Webasto, but couldn't find what it changes. https://www.drive2.com/l/527977788150382629/ Have the file but I don't know if I'm brave enough to risk messing it up though.

@xabhax are you still having problems with EVAP? I forgot to mention that the nipple on top of the pump is open to the tank. Just used a razor blade to cut off the cap on top.
No problems with evp. Just that one time.

Least you got It working. And just in time. I don't know about where you are but it's since digits in the morning. Most usefull retrofit I've done.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
No problems with evp. Just that one time.

Least you got It working. And just in time. I don't know about where you are but it's since digits in the morning. Most usefull retrofit I've done.
Oh ok that's good. Yeah the past couple days it's been like 10 degrees every morning in Boston 🥶

I should say, the remote pairing worked, but the heater still doesn't turn on haha. When I press the button I hear some pump or something start to come on but it turns off after a second. I neeeeed that new climate panel asap.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Oh ok that's good. Yeah the past couple days it's been like 10 degrees every morning in Boston 🥶

I should say, the remote pairing worked, but the heater still doesn't turn on haha. When I press the button I hear some pump or something start to come on but it turns off after a second. I neeeeed that new climate panel asap.
I have in the past messaged a seller asking if they would ship ups international priority. They all said yes. And the panel is small enough it shouldn't be that expensive

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I have in the past messaged a seller asking if they would ship ups international priority. They all said yes. And the panel is small enough it shouldn't be that expensive
Dang well I'll try that next time for sure. They shipped it with DHL from Germany so it shouldn't be too bad I hope.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I think I told you about my horror story with dhl. I always ask them not to ship dhl. Ups o fedex and I'll pay whatever the difference is. Haven't had a problem with ups or fedex yet

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I think I told you about my horror story with dhl. I always ask them not to ship dhl. Ups o fedex and I'll pay whatever the difference is. Haven't had a problem with ups or fedex yet
Hold on was that how you ended up getting 2 heaters? Aw shit.. I'm crossing my fingers man 😂

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI