GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI vs. Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
I was driving exiting into another freeway and I noticed a white tesla trailing behind me. I slowly caught up to him and then we both punched it, I was in 4th around 90mph when I stepped on it. I instantly started passing him and cut in front of him to avoid oncoming traffic. I'm not sure how fast these things are, I know it was dual motor though.

MK7 GTI vs. Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Not fast once they're rolling. Anything over 70mph and they really start to show that they only have one gear. Most of their owners don't seem to realize this though and seem bewildered when a VW dusts them.

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
No really sure he tried. The basic one does 112mph and low 12s. If you buy the $2000 software option, they do 116mph and high 11's. They are awfully close to the Model 3 Performance from a roll.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No really sure he tried. The basic one does 112mph and low 12s. If you buy the $2000 software option, they do 116mph and high 11's. They are awfully close to the Model 3 Performance from a roll.

I agree. I dont think the Tesla tried.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Pulled up to a white 3 (not sure which model 3) at a traffic light the other day. Wasn’t sure if he was going to hit it so I didn’t do launch control but was ready to punch it if he went. Sure enough he goes. My front end was at his door but I never gained ground up to about 70ish(we came up to traffic so had to kill the run) . This was on my 91 EQT Staged Tune instead of e40 tune I typically run on my R. Any thoughts on which model it may have been? I’m currently FBO w hpfp

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
Pulled up to a white 3 (not sure which model 3) at a traffic light the other day. Wasn’t sure if he was going to hit it so I didn’t do launch control but was ready to punch it if he went. Sure enough he goes. My front end was at his door but I never gained ground up to about 70ish(we came up to traffic so had to kill the run) . This was on my 91 EQT Staged Tune instead of e40 tune I typically run on my R. Any thoughts on which model it may have been? I’m currently FBO w hpfp

Did you see the badging on the rear? No lettering on the trunk is usually single motor, otherwise dual motors have the latter as a badge, and performance models have a red line under the badge. Also, the aero wheels aren't an oem option on the performance models, so unless you see the big 20"s it's either a single or dual.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, the latest software update on the Dual Motor took a full two seconds off of their time to 120 mph, and put them much closer to the Performance model once they're over 60. Neither is anywhere near as fast as their 1/4 times would lead you to believe over 70 or 80 mph though. Not really their goal, but most of their owners seem to think they should be faster than most cars at speed.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Did you see the badging on the rear? No lettering on the trunk is usually single motor, otherwise dual motors have the latter as a badge, and performance models have a red line under the badge. Also, the aero wheels aren't an oem option on the performance models, so unless you see the big 20"s it's either a single or dual.
I didn’t see badging but I do think the silver 19” style wheels were on it, which looks to be the single motor rwd or the long range dual? The only reason I would think it would be the lr dual is it’s awd it looks like (vs the rwd only single??) which most people tend to get here in CO when it comes to rwd vs awd in any car, but who knows

Hoon

Autocross Champion
They're not fast above 70. Even by 50 you can feel it start falling off.

I haven't driven the Performance (I'm afraid I'll buy one) but the dual motor was fun...not fast enough that I wouldn't get bored with it in a week though.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Did you let off at the end of that? Looked like you hung pretty good.

That's what you saw? Looked more like the Tesla didn't realize he was racing him and when he did the Tesla pulled away handily. If the Tesla was racing from the green light it would have shot off the line.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Did you let off at the end of that? Looked like you hung pretty good.
Let off right when the other car started to switch lanes, same time you see the tesla's brake lights

That's what you saw? Looked more like the Tesla didn't realize he was racing him and when he did the Tesla pulled away handily. If the Tesla was racing from the green light it would have shot off the line.
Neither one of us realized there was gonna be a race until about 8 seconds into the video after I shift into 2nd and we both start to go WOT. Tesla started pulling away when I was at the top of 2nd where the is20 starts to die off

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Let off right when the other car started to switch lanes, same time you see the tesla's brake lights

Neither one of us realized there was gonna be a race until about 8 seconds into the video after I shift into 2nd and we both start to go WOT. Tesla started pulling away when I was at the top of 2nd where the is20 starts to die off

I didn't mean what I said as an insult. Those Tesla 3 dual motor are no slouch.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I didn't mean what I said as an insult. Those Tesla 3 dual motor are no slouch.
No worries. I just meant I floored it because I saw him starting to take off. Definitely wouldn't have bothered trying to race from a dig lmao