GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 GTI vs. Stg. 1 WRX

aedwin191

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all,

So a buddy of mine just installed cobb stage 1 on his '17 subaru wrx and now he is antsy to race me. As of now I have a cattless dp with an 034 dogbone and some sticky federal rs-rr's, but am otherwise stock. Not sure how the race will turn out and was wondering if anyone would have any idea how it would go down?

Mak_Attack

Passed Driver's Ed
i think you could get him from a roll. I had a fbo protuned stage 2 15 wrx and it wasn't that fast. To be honest I think my dsg r is as fast stock. Cobb ots maps are very conservative.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
2017 wrx stage 1 is 300 hp according to the guy I talked to. Stage 1 gti takes it all day. Stock with dp might be interesting from a roll.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
It will be close and probably you loose, good news is you are $400 away (Jb4) from smoking him big time. Let us know how it went!

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
a buddy of mine has fbo protuned stage 2 16' wrx making 287whp. took me for a couple of pulls, wasnt all that impressive, maybe as fast as a stock STi. from a roll it should be a close race but i might have to give it to the wrx. maybe run him from 3rd? cause i know wrx/sti 100-200 times are not that impressive. (also depends if youre dsg or not and how fast your friend is at shifting)

Snitt

Ready to race!
Apparently this is a stock turbo record for the FA20DIT. 11.5 @ 121mph seems rather quick, but the WRX had a lot done to it. Your friend's Stage 1 is nowhere near close to being that fast, but if he has anything other than the stock Cobb tune, you may be in for an interesting race.

aedwin191

Passed Driver's Ed
Apparently this is a stock turbo record for the FA20DIT. 11.5 @ 121mph seems rather quick, but the WRX had a lot done to it. Your friend's Stage 1 is nowhere near close to being that fast, but if he has anything other than the stock Cobb tune, you may be in for an interesting race.

The only thing done other than the tune is an axle-back which I can't imagine would make a drastic difference.

aedwin191

Passed Driver's Ed
a buddy of mine has fbo protuned stage 2 16' wrx making 287whp. took me for a couple of pulls, wasnt all that impressive, maybe as fast as a stock STi. from a roll it should be a close race but i might have to give it to the wrx. maybe run him from 3rd? cause i know wrx/sti 100-200 times are not that impressive. (also depends if youre dsg or not and how fast your friend is at shifting)

I am dsg and I know he's not very professional at shifting, which leads me to think this'll be a close one from a roll.

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I am dsg and I know he's not very professional at shifting, which leads me to think this'll be a close one from a roll.

if the only thing he has is a tune then id say youd take it, not by much tho id imagine. your dp prob added somewhat the same amount of power as his tune. plus youre dsg (able to hold boost)

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Last edited:

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
BUMP to ask how the GOLF/GTI fare against the WRX STI? golf bloodbath? I see the 2015 model made 305 WHP for car and driver.

Edit: wow actually 247 WHP. 305 was crank. That's a big loss. http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/reviews/a6306/2015-subaru-wrx-vs-sti/

Edit 2: also look at the powerband! Our cars are making double the torque at 3k rpm!!

yea the STI actual whp numbers are quite low, wrx is even lower but still plenty of pull. TBH the STI i think is the most fun ive had in a car, to be fair it was my first time in an actual quick car so the STI took my performance car virginity lol, so that couldve attributed to my reaction. it was a real contender when i was car shopping vs GTI and ultimately i opted for refinement and aftermarket potential (i saw vagtech's video lol)