GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI vs Focus ST

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah I know this is a MK7 Forum "What else were you expecting but for me to say that you should get a MK7 Golf GTI over a focus well I'm not so much looking for advice but a few more general performance and tuning answers that you all could give me which would give me reason to believe that the GTI is better than the ST in terms of tuning.

Forewarning: I know VERY little (which is unusual for vehicles) about this platform is almost anything it all, (I know it is a 4cylinder turbocharged) that being said I do actually know Quite a bit about vehicles I do all my own work on all the vehicles I have ever had as well as any performance modifications.

I really just wanna know a few things:

How do mods like a big turbo (Golf R turbo for example) and tuning and etc effect the reliability
I know this has dampers that can be set to different settings, so how do you go about changing suspension sway bars and will that affect the settings of the dampers.
You guys have all the experience so if you could all tell me WHY you chose the mk7 over different cars that would be great (specifically the ST if that was something that you were looking into)

And yeah, appreciate all the input.
My brother owns a 2018 Focus ST so I have driven and ridden in it a good number of times.

Exterior:
Honestly, I do like how the ST looks, more aggressive than a GTI. What I don't like is mostly a Ford thing, material quality...plastics on the front and rear could be better, paint can also be better. Exhaust tip finish is dull from factory, wth, polish that shit up!

Interior:
Like any Ford vs VW comparison with cars in this price range, the GTI just tramples the Focus ST in interior quality, better materials, better infotainment system, better sound system, better styling. Seats to me are more comfortable as well in the front and back.

Ride quality:
ST ride is rough, good enough for daily driving, but man...long trips are not fun. GTI handles just as well as the ST if not better, but is super comfortable...I have no problems taking my GTI on 9hr drives. The difference in ride quality is so stark between the two this reason alone might sway someone to buy a GTI over the Focus ST. This alone makes the GTI so much more livable.

Engine and drivetrain:
Ah, the engine...stock for stock both make VERY similar power on the dyno. Though admittedly the ST felt faster and kinda more playfull or "raw". But I think this was only because of the ST's open differential over my GTI's LSD. Get on the ST and the surge in torque would cause some torque steer, not scary but it was there and kinda added to the experience. Get on my GTI and it just goes, no drama. The LSD in the GTI also means lots more rubber to put the power down. Also, for those that want an automatic, can get one in the GTI, and the DSG is no joke.

Tuning:
This is where the GTI's ea888 gen 3 shines, sorry, the stock Focus ST bottom end can't hold a candle to the closed cast iron block of the ea888. Over 360-400whp open aluminum deck short blocks are on borrowed time. Plenty of stock block GTIs are running over 500whp. Without a turbo upgrade the Focus ST's K03 turbo can only manage to peak 300whp with fbo, often reaching 300whp only on ethonal mixes. A fully stock GTI can manage almost 300whp with just a tune. With fbo, Its not uncommon to see GTIs running 330+whp stock turbo on 93, more on e30 or e85.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Yes, junk cars are cheaper. My wife has an escape, it has the same interior. It’s cheap.
GF has a 2020 Escape, great car for an AWD suv, that little 1.5 easily manages 30+mpgs. Its perfect for her, we had a huge snowfall early Jan and it impressed me pushing through 7" of snow and ice like a champ! But yea, cheap interior, which is honestly fine since she works on a farm and it gets dirty. Though, I still try to keep up with it and try not to let it get to out of control!

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
GF has a 2020 Escape, great car for an AWD suv, that little 1.5 easily manages 30+mpgs. Its perfect for her, we had a huge snowfall early Jan and it impressed me pushing through 7" of snow and ice like a champ! But yea, cheap interior, which is honestly fine since she works on a farm and it gets dirty. Though, I still try to keep up with it and try not to let it get to out of control!
The escape is a huge piece of shit. I drove one last month.

I raced a clapped out ST before I left for Europe. He was bus lengths behind at the end of third.