GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI vs Focus ST

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Yeah, I don't think OP is ever coming back. He/she was probably an ST owner trying to stir up drama and was going to post about it on the ST forums.

His profile showed 2010 Accord... Perhaps as you said however, he owns an ST and was trying to dig up some information on the car. IDK, but I always did my own research without joining a forum to "learn about my enemy", lol. A quick google search can give you HP numbers for the models and if they have tunes, what power bumps those can give you.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
My brother owns an ST, stock for stock my GTI's ride quality alone is lightyears better. I personally would also hate tuning the ST, anything over 300whp and you better do some bottom end upgrades. I also don't trust the engine in the RS to hold power either...which is kinda a shame.

Sandbagger1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
^ This. Your spot on.

tmthysmmrs

Car(s)
‘19 VW GTI Rabbit ed
So my best friend has a ST1 and I have a ‘19 GTI. Performance wise, they are pretty similar. He has a pro tune through stratified, and exhaust. I am stage 3 ots through Cobb, exhaust, intake, and front mount. We’ve done a few 4 rolls and we are neck and neck. I very slowly pull away after 100 but that’s it.

Our interior is far superior though. The radio section on the focus is trash. It reminds me of early 2000s. My seats are more comfortable I think and the trunk seems larger.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
So my best friend has a ST1 and I have a ‘19 GTI. Performance wise, they are pretty similar. He has a pro tune through stratified, and exhaust. I am stage 3 ots through Cobb, exhaust, intake, and front mount. We’ve done a few 4 rolls and we are neck and neck. I very slowly pull away after 100 but that’s it.

Our interior is far superior though. The radio section on the focus is trash. It reminds me of early 2000s. My seats are more comfortable I think and the trunk seems larger.
What's stage 3?

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Hey guys can anyone tell me what the better choice is? MK7 GTI vs Daihatsu Charade w/ torpedo juice tune?

I think the power to weight ratio of the Charade gives it the edge. What if I strap a rocket booster to the back?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Hey guys can anyone tell me what the better choice is? MK7 GTI vs Daihatsu Charade w/ torpedo juice tune?

I think the power to weight ratio of the Charade gives it the edge. What if I strap a rocket booster to the back?
No no no. For power to weight, go with a Daihatsu Midget

PicositoGTi

Go Kart Champion
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah I know this is a MK7 Forum "What else were you expecting but for me to say that you should get a MK7 Golf GTI over a focus well I'm not so much looking for advice but a few more general performance and tuning answers that you all could give me which would give me reason to believe that the GTI is better than the ST in terms of tuning.

Forewarning: I know VERY little (which is unusual for vehicles) about this platform is almost anything it all, (I know it is a 4cylinder turbocharged) that being said I do actually know Quite a bit about vehicles I do all my own work on all the vehicles I have ever had as well as any performance modifications.

I really just wanna know a few things:

How do mods like a big turbo (Golf R turbo for example) and tuning and etc effect the reliability
I know this has dampers that can be set to different settings, so how do you go about changing suspension sway bars and will that affect the settings of the dampers.
You guys have all the experience so if you could all tell me WHY you chose the mk7 over different cars that would be great (specifically the ST if that was something that you were looking into)

And yeah, appreciate all the input.
I have a 2016 VW Golf GTI, IS38 Golf R Turbo and with 146k miles of hard driving, I mean HARD driving since new and I'm pushing E85 fuel and making around 404whp which is around 470-475hp at the crankshaft which is more than double from what it came from factory.

It has been nothing short of a "tank." I take very good care of it maintenance wise but you better believe I drive WAY harder than most. I've done road course, a lot of street racing, hill country spirited runs, etc......

If you don't mod these cars you are just being paranoid.

Attachments

• 6C5B4F33-C4D1-4487-B31C-3310DB207C68.jpeg
    6C5B4F33-C4D1-4487-B31C-3310DB207C68.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 64

swifty1

Ready to race!
MQB platform will make more power than the ford with less money, and be more reliable the entire time. They also look better and have nice interiors. Especially if you want an auto, then the answer is no question 200% MQB. The mk7 GTI is also like 100-200 lbs lighter than the focus.