GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 GTI v. 2021 Supra

joshgreensauce

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Met up to race a 2021 Supra. Did several pulls from a 40 roll. I 'won' on the first one by maybe a car but it was shorter road and we only hit maybe 100-120 and I probably got the hit slightly. We went to a longer stretch of road and did a couple more 40 rolls to about 130 or so and I lost consistently by 1-1.5 car lengths. In each race I'd take a 0.5 to 1 car length lead to around 90 or so then the supra would leap ahead by 1 car and then we'd stay that way until I'd let off around 130. Pretty sure though above 130 it'd then continue to pull. Better results than I expected considering what's done to both cars! Those supras are beast on e50.

Mods as follows:

Supra:
-Catless Downpipe
-Custom e50 tune (3rd or 4th Revision)
-peak 36 PSI, steady 32 PSI (a lot higher than the 340i stock turbos go??)
-1 passenger

GTI (DSG, 6-spd):
-RX550, peak 29 PSI (stratified custom e40 tune)
-unitronic TBE
-unitronic intake
-ebay fmic
-DV+
-walbro450 lpfp, autotech hpfp
-weight reduction (no rear seats, no spare, no passengers present)
-still skinny tires (225) with balding all-seasons lol

Last edited:
Reactions: MSH

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Met up to race a 2021 Supra. Did several pulls from a 40 roll. I 'won' on the first one by maybe a car but it was shorter road and we only hit maybe 100-120 and I probably got the hit slightly. We went to a longer stretch of road and did a couple more 40 rolls to about 130 or so and I lost consistently by 1-1.5 car lengths. In each race I'd take a 0.5 to 1 car length lead to around 90 or so then the supra would leap ahead by 1 car and then we'd stay that way until I'd let off around 130. Pretty sure though above 130 it'd then continue to pull. Better results than I expected considering what's done to both cars! Those supras are beast on e50.

Mods as follows:

Supra:
-Catless Downpipe
-Custom e50 tune (3rd or 4th Revision)
-peak 36 PSI, steady 32 PSI (a lot higher than the 340i stock turbos go??)
-1 passenger

GTI (DSG, 6-spd):
-RX550, peak 29 PSI (stratified custom e40 tune)
-unitronic TBE
-unitronic intake
-ebay fmic
-DV+
-walbro450 lpfp, autotech hpfp
-weight reduction (no rear seats, no spare, no passengers present)
-still skinny tires (225) with balding all-seasons lol

So are you a DSG or 6MT? Because you listed both. Get the supporting mods to take your car past 29psi along with better tires and then race the Supra.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Sounds fun. Any 60-130 times and/or dyno?

joshgreensauce

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So are you a DSG or 6MT? Because you listed both. Get the supporting mods to take your car past 29psi along with better tires and then race the Supra.

It's DSG. I think you misread - it's a 6-spd DSG I didn't say 6mt.

(+@Diggs) As for adding sensors and increasing boost I don't think so. I am limited by stock DI and so it'd only make sense to get MPI at this point and also increase boost and E content. I'm satisfied with the car as it stands now - it's FWD so I'm not going to build it any more than this haha. Next car, if I stay MQB, will be AWD and then I'll shoot for over 500 obviously just doesn't seem to make sense to me in this car.

joshgreensauce

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Sounds fun. Any 60-130 times and/or dyno?

Nope! I don't really think i'll ever spend money on a dyno just so I have a sheet that has some numbers on it to be honest. As for 60-130 times that is something more valuable to me - I don't have a dragy and I don't want to buy one really lol. I have no idea what my 60-130 times are but probably below the average numbers you'll see posted (of similar setups) because I'm in 4k+ ft elevation and DA is typically 10k+.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
It's DSG. I think you misread - it's a 6-spd DSG I didn't say 6mt.

(+@Diggs) As for adding sensors and increasing boost I don't think so. I am limited by stock DI and so it'd only make sense to get MPI at this point and also increase boost and E content. I'm satisfied with the car as it stands now - it's FWD so I'm not going to build it any more than this haha. Next car, if I stay MQB, will be AWD and then I'll shoot for over 500 obviously just doesn't seem to make sense to me in this car.

Ok, well nobody says 6-spd DSG, they just say DSG.

Also, you are not limited to 29 psi with the stock injectors. If you upgrade the two sensors, you can go up to 30 - 32 psi without MPI. There have been plenty of forum members that have already done that, myself included.

joshgreensauce

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Ok, well nobody says 6-spd DSG, they just say DSG.

Also, you are not limited to 29 psi with the stock injectors. If you upgrade the two sensors, you can go up to 30 - 32 psi without MPI. There have been plenty of forum members that have already done that, myself included.

Ehh I've seen it. the 7spd and 6spd DSG isn't the same so I distinguished. Doesn't really matter though as I clearly did not say 6MT.

I'm well aware you can get more boost. On my setup, however, to run more peak boost something would have to give as I'm literally at the fueling limits of the DI on e40. I'd have to drop to e30, or do boost by gear, or taper down the boost in 4th above 6k RPM, etc. If there was headroom to add the extra 2 PSI I'd obviously do it as it's a cheap upgrade to add the sensor/s but there is not and that's fine with me.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I'm well aware you can get more boost. On my setup, however, to run more peak boost something would have to give as I'm literally at the fueling limits of the DI on e40. I'd have to drop to e30, or do boost by gear, or taper down the boost in 4th above 6k RPM, etc. If there was headroom to add the extra 2 PSI I'd obviously do it as it's a cheap upgrade to add the sensor/s but there is not and that's fine with me.

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 10.34.33 PM.png

I'm running a bit less E than you at E35 in Denver on this map. Vortex Std on Stock DI as well and no issues running the 4 bar PUT for extra boost. Just a hair under 31psi peak tapering to a bit under 30 at redline. With that said I'm a bit higher elevation (6k vs you at 4k so can run slightly higher E blends safely)/535 LPFP/PM4. Not entirely sure but maybe all those things combined are helping my cause.

https://datazap.me/u/msh/e35-rev104-4th-pull-12-26?log=0&data=1-7-9-17

joshgreensauce

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
View attachment 199116

I'm running a bit less E than you at E35 in Denver on this map. Vortex Std on Stock DI as well and no issues running the 4 bar PUT for extra boost. Just a hair under 31psi peak tapering to a bit under 30 at redline. With that said I'm a bit higher elevation (6k vs you at 4k so can run slightly higher E blends safely)/535 LPFP/PM4. Not entirely sure but maybe all those things combined are helping my cause.

https://datazap.me/u/msh/e35-rev104-4th-pull-12-26?log=0&data=1-7-9-17

Nice! To me, idk if it's worth the hassle and cost to get another custom tune to get 2 more peak psi just for 10-20 ish more hp but had I known from the getgo that would have been a good route! Although, the vortex std is def smaller than the rx550. Pretty sure the xl is smaller too by a hair so not 100% sure I could get away with e35 +31psi with the same timing and everything I have now but yeah.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Nice! To me, idk if it's worth the hassle and cost to get another custom tune to get 2 more peak psi just for 10-20 ish more hp but had I known from the getgo that would have been a good route!....

Oh definitely...I get it. Splitting hairs really. Was just throwing out it out that in my case it ended up being doable and most importantly doable in a safe manner. All logs have been stellar thus far. Nice work on yours. Good to hear you are happy with where things are at on yours.