GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 GTI Stern Rear Brace review (and iSweep) - 8.5/10, great mod!

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
@billbadass

Did you use directions at all or is it obvious how it lines up?

Only info I can find on the install is for the MK5 but I imagine they can't be that different.

Edit: Sorry, talking about the Stern subframe brace
You could use the older instructions for reference, that's what I did. There is a slight difference, but once you test fit the brace, you'll be able to figure it out.

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Just intalled my stern brace tonight and it seemed a bit short in all directions. I used a couple washers on the rear bolt to take out the slack, but I'd assume that makes the whole thing a bit less rigid. Definitely wouldn't make full contact with the rear cross member just by tightening it down.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Just intalled my stern brace tonight and it seemed a bit short in all directions. I used a couple washers on the rear bolt to take out the slack, but I'd assume that makes the whole thing a bit less rigid. Definitely wouldn't make full contact with the rear cross member just by tightening it down.

That sucks, but I guess it also makes me feel better that I wasn't doing something stupid.

Mine fit nice and snug left to right but it did come short in the rear at the subframe. I was able to crank it down though. How much did yours come up short? I was at about 1/8" I'd say. I posted a picture somewhere, I can find it if need be.

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
That sucks, but I guess it also makes me feel better that I wasn't doing something stupid.

Mine fit nice and snug left to right but it did come short in the rear at the subframe. I was able to crank it down though. How much did yours come up short? I was at about 1/8" I'd say. I posted a picture somewhere, I can find it if need be.
I found your thread on the same issue. Mine looks about the same. No issue with sway bar clearence, just the gap to the subframe towards the back of the car. I'm a bit hesitant to just tighten everything down untill it closes the gap since the brace seems a lot stronger than the metal on the subframe.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I removed mine the other day. After checking my subframe bolts, rear wheel bolts, end links, and ran, everything seemed snug and tight. Greased up my mom's, but still got a clunk by the passenger side rear end. Took out the Stern brace and it looked like that was the culprit. After looking it over, I found where it was rubbing on the rsb. I have the 25mm Neuspeed rsb for reference. Don't plan on reinstalling.

Attachments

• PXL_20210529_172110852.jpg
    PXL_20210529_172110852.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 108

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I removed mine the other day. After checking my subframe bolts, rear wheel bolts, end links, and ran, everything seemed snug and tight. Greased up my mom's, but still got a clunk by the passenger side rear end. Took out the Stern brace and it looked like that was the culprit. After looking it over, I found where it was rubbing on the rsb. I have the 25mm Neuspeed rsb for reference. Don't plan on reinstalling.
Same RSB I have and it doesn't rub. 18 SE.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Ride height and endlink length variance would affect this regardless of cars year and trim package.
Mine's a 2020 S stock suspension. I noticed the tight fit on install but didn't seem to be hitting. Weird part is that it just started happening. Had it in for months with no issue. Turned into a gas station the other day and I heard it. Had my neighbor outside the car listen for it when I turned into my driveway and said he could hear it on the rear passenger side which makes sense cause that's where the mark was on the bar. The noise hasn't come back since I removed it.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I'm pretty sure mine is hitting the RSB too. I get weird rattles at times when I feel like I shouldn't be. Mostly engine braking at low speeds as I come to a stop.

Haven't put it in the air to check but I will next weekend probably.