GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI Retrofit ideas

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
It shows when you hit the menu button on the climate control. at the time i got the climatronic panel was under the impression they didnt make a gloss black trim for the regular climate control panel. turns out they do. starting to think that changing panels was a mistake.

even if kufatec harness isnt right, they did 90 percent of the hard work. i tried making my harnesses at first. never again.
Oh yeah for sure, I made a harness for the tail lights and it was painful. Can't imagine doing it for this project.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Got the parking heater climate control today. worked with the stand alone button. coolant temp went up like 10 Celcius in the minute i ran it. gonna do the remote receiver tomorrow. still cant get the infotainment part of it working. i may despite, despite hating having something not work 100% just forget about the infotainment part of it. as long as the button and remote work i think i can live with that.

but how fast the coolant temp rose, almost wishing it was winter right now.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Got the infotainment part working now. I activated anything in the MIB adaptations that had CLIMATE in it. Tested the timer and working 100%

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Ya, or I think it is. Is the fan supposed to come on when the heater is running? There isn't much if any info on people retrofitting these.

I just don't know if it was the adaptation changes or because I got a newer mib.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Not sure tbh. The videos I’ve seen it looks like the fan (HVAC) does come on. Maybe the fan has to be on before you turn the car off?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
That was it. Gotta set heat to high and have the fan on.

OryxRob

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI PP Oryx
I have a similar webasto fitted in my Range Rover, as you say you need to have the fans on & heat set. Also need to have sufficient fuel, I think it’s minimum 1/4 of a tank. Assuming it’s a similar setup.

rob.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
A dumb question to ask after i already did the retrofit, how well does it work? do you use it often?

OryxRob

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI PP Oryx
A dumb question to ask after i already did the retrofit, how well does it work? do you use it often?
Me?
Yeah its great, I use it all winter when it works. It’s a Range Rover so often needs filling up!!
I set it to come one once the temperature drops in winter & leave it set until spring, although you can just leave it set all of the time but this can be a battery drain as its module is then never fully asleep. Just comes on automatically at 5* or lower, I keep meaning to get the remote also though as I tend to forget until its freezing & I wake to a frozen car sometimes.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
In case anyone was wondering, Kufatec will not acknowledge that they made their harness wrong, so you will have to extend the wires yourself if you do this retrofit.

They first told me I was installing it wrong and said not to follow the manufacturer harnesses, then finally said I should just extend them myself. No accountability lol. Unfortunately they’re the only ones making them and it’s better than putting it together from scratch. 🤷‍♂️

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
@xabhax, you wouldn’t happen to remember which model of fuel dosing pump you used, would you? Finally getting around to installing all this and realizing that the pump I have (revision E) is apparently for the golf GTE and the bracket isn’t gonna attach to my GTI gas tank.

I just ordered a 5Q0-201-607J because that was in the parts diagram 🤞

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
The bracket won't work, there is some evap part where the pump would go. And you gotta drop the tank a little to get it.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
@xabhax, you wouldn’t happen to remember which model of fuel dosing pump you used, would you? Finally getting around to installing all this and realizing that the pump I have (revision E) is apparently for the golf GTE and the bracket isn’t gonna attach to my GTI gas tank.

I just ordered a 5Q0-201-607J because that was in the parts diagram 🤞
But I looked in the listing and it didn't have a vw part number.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
But I looked in the listing and it didn't have a vw part number.
Dang.. thank you for checking though. It should be the right one but we’ll see lol.

The bracket won't work, there is some evap part where the pump would go. And you gotta drop the tank a little to get it.
Oh yeah the leak detection module, right? How did you end up mounting the pump, btw? I was thinking just to move that little module somewhere else, maybe in the wheel well, and clip the pump in using the bracket. But that’s when I saw my pump has the wrong bracket and it looked too wide also. The J version is more square.
38696D1A-0FE2-4593-8590-E10E1EE94C2E.jpeg