GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI Retrofit ideas

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I would suggest Webasto parking heater, I would kill for that lol. I can barely find any info about it though. It’s probably really expensive too.
Did a little research, The heater can be had for around 250 on ebay germany, the harness is about 100 for kufatec, and the heater hoses are 80. i think i gonna try this one. I currently am parking in a garage, but by next winter i wont have one anymore

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
🤩 That’s awesome! That sounds much more doable than I thought. Definitely post some details of the process if you’re up to it. I’ll be looking around also.

250 for the heater is for a used one, I’m assuming?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
🤩 That’s awesome! That sounds much more doable than I thought. Definitely post some details of the process if you’re up to it. I’ll be looking around also.

250 for the heater is for a used one, I’m assuming?
Yes. Sucks its all coming from Europe. Shipping from europe during these trying times is so slow.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Yeah, for sure. It would be challenging even in normal circumstances.

I’ve been reading/translating German Google and eBay the whole morning trying to get some information. I think we may need a new climate control panel too with the wavy lines button instead of the Off button. And there’s a fuel pump (dosage pump?) involved. Trying to see if a kit would be worth it..

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Yeah, for sure. It would be challenging even in normal circumstances.

I’ve been reading/translating German Google and eBay the whole morning trying to get some information. I think we may need a new climate control panel too with the wavy lines button instead of the Off button. And there’s a fuel pump (dosage pump?) involved. Trying to see if a kit would be worth it..
A webasto dp42 pump is 50-120. The pickup is 10, bulk fuel line isn't expensive. Configuration for the heater is done in the mib2. I'm not sure if a panel is needed. I've seen older cars had panels in the kit. Whole mk7 kits are 1200 euros on eacca. Sourcing used parts it should be less than half that

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
You're clearly better at researching than me, lmao. Have you found a complete list of part #'s? Or just piecing together stuff.

I think you're right about the climate panel, it doesn't seem strictly necessary. The auxiliary heater isn't even on the same CAN bus as the climate control - like you said it's mostly tied into the infotainment.

Edit: found a good picture that lays out everything related to the heater. (link: https://www.gute-fahrt.de/bauanleit...ndheizung-steckfertig/a13365.html#prettyPhoto It looks like there's a remote control and some kind of antenna. I read that the purpose of the 'wavy lines' button is only if you want to engage the heater on demand when you're in the car. If you had the manual climate it would still work, apparently it just won't automatically engage based on temperature (possibly).
a2b5f1648077ea6bfff252a759405daab0b699d9.jpeg

Last edited:

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
As far as i know the harness is the same. I cant imagine it being different as the amp is the same. The only harness differences i know of are for cars with that amp that have front center speakers.

I'm assuming you don't need VW to remove component protection when just swapping the speakers to Dynaudio?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I'm assuming you don't need VW to remove component protection when just swapping the speakers to Dynaudio?
I would go aftermarket for the speakers. Better speakers can be had cheaper. Just gotta make sure impedance matches.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
You're clearly better at researching than me, lmao. Have you found a complete list of part #'s? Or just piecing together stuff.

I think you're right about the climate panel, it doesn't seem strictly necessary. The auxiliary heater isn't even on the same CAN bus as the climate control - like you said it's mostly tied into the infotainment.

Edit: found a good picture that lays out everything related to the heater. (link: https://www.gute-fahrt.de/bauanleit...ndheizung-steckfertig/a13365.html#prettyPhoto It looks like there's a remote control and some kind of antenna. I read that the purpose of the 'wavy lines' button is only if you want to engage the heater on demand when you're in the car. If you had the manual climate it would still work, apparently it just won't automatically engage based on temperature (possibly).
View attachment 203117
Was using etka for part numbers. Only thing I can't find is the part number for the bracket that holds the fuel pump

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Ohh cool. I’ve never used etka. Looks like I’d just have to download a cracked version or something?

Some of the fuel pumps on ebay have a bracket attached, is that the one you’re looking for?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Yes. The forums on mhhauto are a good place to find etka Elsa odis

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
According to Kufatec you need to have climatronic for the heater to work, i ordered parts. All of them coming from europe so it may be awhile, but i will keep updating this post some pics of install.

7N0963513 - Telestart Receiver T91R
1K9971502C - Telestart Receiver Bracket
7N0963511 - Telestart Remote
5G0907044S - Climate Control Panel
5Q0201449E - Fuel Line Clip
5Q0200059GA - Fuel Lines From Gas Tank to Front of Car
5Q0201607L - Webasto DP42 Fuel Pump
5Q0815005 - Webasto Heater
5Q0819350B - Coolant Lines
Some rubber fuel line
Some crimp fuel hose clamps

221000201600 - Webasto 300mm Stand Pipe (Not sure about this one though, didnt know the diameter of the VW fuel pipes. Probably will change)

Kufatec Harness

Last edited:

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Is this just a stand alone heater so you don't have to run the car?? how long can the blower go on the battery before it's drained to low?
Yup, it’s a gas (or diesel) powered little furnace that circulates hot coolant while the car is off. I’m sure if you keep using it without turning the car on it’d run out of juice eventually. But I’ve read that it won’t engage if the battery is too low.