GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI over 100k, what am I in for?

amsr

Ready to race!
I have a 2017 MK7 GTI SE DSG that has 95k miles on it. It’s a 5/2017 build that I bought new and I’m the only owner. I have stuck to the factory maintenance schedule at the dealer - 10k oil change interval and recommended DSG and brake fluid intervals. Over the years, I’ve replaced:

- thermostat (35k miles)
- sunroof foil tape was replaced because it peeled
- 2 window regulators
- 2 xenon headlight bulbs and one headlight module
- center console cubby lip (recall)
- 1 CV joint
- right front strut/mount, right wheel bearing, and control arm were replaced due to pothole damage. I had them do the left front strut and mount at the same time.
- Front pads and rotors done around 60k.
- Battery replaced at 5 years.
- plugs replaced at recommended interval.
- sunroof plastic trim cracked (twice) so it was replaced.

The car doesn’t seem to consume oil, the coolant level seems stable. The hvac blower motor started chirping recently, so I think it’s on its way out. The exterior and interior are in good shape. It’s been stock the entire time, no mods.

If I keep this car past 100k, what am I in for repair wise? Is there anything I should do/check now premptively to head off a major repair later?

Last edited:

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
You’re golden! you’ve probably checked the plugs and coils as well?

I’ve seen a bunch of these cars well over 100k, you shouldn’t have any issues really.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I replace my accessory/serpentine belt every 60k miles just because of a bad experience having one snap at an inopportune time on a different car. I then keep the old one (if it looks good) in the hatch with me. I don't think it's on the maintenance list, so it's probably just a me thing haha.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
The main thing I could see needing to be done is a carbon cleaning, or at least a check to see if it needs to be done. I've seen these cars be gummed up as early as 50k miles, and it happens so slowly that people never really notice until it gets bad enough to cause problems running. Aside from that, there's no reason this car can't go another 100k miles with regular maintenance.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Mine is a 2017 Sport 6MT bought in September of 2016. 128,000 miles. Thermostat housing replaced at about 48,000 miles. Regular oil changes. At 85,000 I had the plugs changed, coolant flushed and a few other services I can’t recall. New battery about the same time. New rotor and pads at 120,000 miles. I burn a quart evert 3000-4000 miles. Very reliable car.

amsr

Ready to race!
You may eventually need to replace the PCV valve. Pretty cheap and easy to DIY.

What is the rationale behind replacing the PCV? I have been told it might be good to do before it fails, but its unclear to me what kind of trouble I'd prevent if I did that?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Shit I feel lucky, I am at 110k and I have only had regular scheduled maintenance and a new battery last year. Not counting modifications of course.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
I've had to replace a rear main seal its not fun lol. This design PCV can cause pressurization of the crankcase when its not working correctly. It will happen over time and you wont realize it. Just one of the several ways it can fail. I say if you've hit 100k with an original PCV id prob change it.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
The main thing I could see needing to be done is a carbon cleaning, or at least a check to see if it needs to be done. I've seen these cars be gummed up as early as 50k miles, and it happens so slowly that people never really notice until it gets bad enough to cause problems running. Aside from that, there's no reason this car can't go another 100k miles with regular maintenance.
How many people around here have actually had issues from gummed up valves?

At 50k recently I pulled the manifold and most of the frontend bits to find my valves with a little bit of build up on the upper area, but nothing that looked worse than any other turbo car I've worked on. The bottom of the valves where they seat looked barely used. I am not a light driver... This car used to see 80 track sessions per year and since 2021 it sees one day per year of an open track where it's seeing about 4 hrs of track time total. I had a ton of blowby before adding a catch can. Recently my turbo has been leaking a touch of oil, so a new one is on the shortlist of upcoming maintenance items, and that certainly does not help the valves...

Honestly, until this community, and the vw crowd specifically, I've never really heard anyone getting upset over valves having build up. At least not on sohc and dohc cars.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I think the mk6 was worse about the carbon than the mk7, so I wonder how much former mk6 owners are just generalizing. But definitely have seen some nasty carboned up mk7 cases on here as well, just a question of how common that really is...
I can understand rough appearance, but I'm really wondering how many people at 100k mi are experiencing issues from build-up?

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
My 2015 gti started giving me issues around 50k. I was the original owner and always used 93 octane. I also lived in a city (Chicago) so lots of stop and go traffic. Some symptoms I experienced were misfires, harsh ride, low power, power surging when trying to accelerate. One of the flaps on the manifold was also getting stuck due to so much carbon build up. Ended up replacing the manifold as well. After the carbon clean, all these symptoms disappeared and the car drove like brand new again.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
My 2015 gti started giving me issues around 50k. I was the original owner and always used 93 octane. I also lived in a city (Chicago) so lots of stop and go traffic. Some symptoms I experienced were misfires, harsh ride, low power, power surging when trying to accelerate. One of the flaps on the manifold was also getting stuck due to so much carbon build up. Ended up replacing the manifold as well. After the carbon clean, all these symptoms disappeared and the car drove like brand new again.
You had build up in your manifold too? How was your turbo, any oil leaking? How was the pcv looking?

That seems pretty extreme to get into your manifold! My manifold at 50k was basically spotless, despite all the blowby on track.