GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 GTI high mileage - huge Oil consumption issue...

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
I changed my PCV today also, 61k miles, I've had a rough idle for a few couple months and a few days ago, after a hard pull through 3rd and 4th, I had enough smoke on decel to be clearly visible in my rearview. Similar symptoms to many other posts.

Idle was definitely smoother and on/off throttle response is much better. I did it at work while things were slow and it was raining pretty hard on the way home, but acceleration at light/mid throttle feels more smooth around 3k also. Should have a better idea in the next few days also

Wull777

Update- just done around 90 miles or so - dipstick is still showing at the top - so I’m hopeful that my oil consumption has improved- previously it used around 0,5 litres per 130 miles so I’m keeping my fingers crossed …

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Just for anyone in the future reading this thread, generally if your piston rings or turbo seals are bad you will get a big puff of smoke on startup as the oil has pooled into the engine/turbo. As mentioned, if the PCV has failed the oil will collect in the intercooler and piping as its the lowest point in the system.

@Wull777 if it was the PCV and that much oil was lost into the IC I highly recommend cleaning it all out. I wouldnt want that much oil hanging around my airways.

glloyd100

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Alltrack
My old PCV was leaking and when i removed it i noticed some oil in the turbo. So im guessing there is some in the intercooler. But i guess after changing the PCV, over time the oil will get sucked into the intake.

Attachments

• 20220715_102225.jpg
    20220715_102225.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 91

Wull777

Hi - will do - I’ll check out the IC pipe at some point in the near future- in the meantime- I’ve done over 500 miles and no oil light has come on - looking at the dipstick it is down a little - maybe using 0.5 Litres per 500 miles - which I think is fairly normal for the GTI engine - much better than before !

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
My old PCV was leaking and when i removed it i noticed some oil in the turbo. So im guessing there is some in the intercooler. But i guess after changing the PCV, over time the oil will get sucked into the intake.
I would consider that amount of oil completely normal....

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I would consider that amount of oil completely normal....
Yeah, I would also say that's pretty typical, at least based on my personal experience and seeing some other photos around the forum. When I changed out my inlet, I had basically the same exact thing.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Yeah, I would also say that's pretty typical, at least based on my personal experience and seeing some other photos around the forum. When I changed out my inlet, I had basically the same exact thing.

If your oil spot starts to get quarter size or bigger....a pcv plate replacement wouldn't hurt...dime to nickel size nothing to worry about...normal...

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Hi - will do - I’ll check out the IC pipe at some point in the near future- in the meantime- I’ve done over 500 miles and no oil light has come on - looking at the dipstick it is down a little - maybe using 0.5 Litres per 500 miles - which I think is fairly normal for the GTI engine - much better than before !
1/2 liter for 500 miles is too high. 5000 miles, yes.

I'd do a dry/wet compression test. If that doesn't show anything, a leakdown test would be next.