GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 GTI coolant

ahmedGTI

Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTI
Hello guys,

I have a 2015 GTI since new and I haven't changed the coolant ever, I read somewhere that I don't need to change it until 160K Km or 100K miles and my car hasn't reached that yet. Now my mechanic is advising me to change it and put in BMW blue coolant. My car is originally purchased in the US but I shipped it to Saudi Arabia a few years back. The temperature never goes below freezing around here. Can someone please advice me in which coolant is best for my car?

ahmedGTI

Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTI
I forgot to mention, I never had any issues with heat, the car always on the right temperature even in the hot summer months with temperatures exceeding 50 C or 125 F. the only thing is that I had to top off coolant maybe 3 times in those 9 years.

My mechanic showed me that some coolant leaked out of the radiator but it wasn't an active leak and he said that BMW coolant has lubricant which help keeping the rubber seals from getting dry.

Jachas

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
A3 8V
Even if you don't have temps below freezing, you need antifreeze. Antifreeze have additives to protect from corrosion, and help dissipate heat better than distilled water alone) Doesn't mater too much if BMW or VW one. Different color, and maybe some minor difference in additives, as "base" of the antifreeze should be the same.

Can someone please advice me in which coolant is best for my car?

If you have "mit sillikat" on expansion tank is good to change it to revised one without silica bag (5Q0121407M is the newest in "original design", alternatively you can use 5WA121407F from golf 8 visual "matter" only or 3Q0121407D from BiTDI tiguan, this one i think would be some upgrade because is "beefier" in design and should hold higher temps even better than 5Q0/5WA ones. After changing expansion tank put a revised, G12evo coolant in it. IMO the best solution in therms of cooling in VAG cars.
Recommended by VW minimum amount of antifreeze is 40% of G12evo to 60% of distilled water (which should give at minimum -25°C). Lower amount of G12evo (or others antifreezes) does not guarantee adequate protecton

ahmedGTI

Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTI
Even if you don't have temps below freezing, you need antifreeze. Antifreeze have additives to protect from corrosion, and help dissipate heat better than distilled water alone) Doesn't mater too much if BMW or VW one. Different color, and maybe some minor difference in additives, as "base" of the antifreeze should be the same.

If you have "mit sillikat" on expansion tank is good to change it to revised one without silica bag (5Q0121407M is the newest in "original design", alternatively you can use 5WA121407F from golf 8 visual "matter" only or 3Q0121407D from BiTDI tiguan, this one i think would be some upgrade because is "beefier" in design and should hold higher temps even better than 5Q0/5WA ones. After changing expansion tank put a revised, G12evo coolant in it. IMO the best solution in therms of cooling in VAG cars.
Recommended by VW minimum amount of antifreeze is 40% of G12evo to 60% of distilled water (which should give at minimum -25°C). Lower amount of G12evo (or others antifreezes) does not guarantee adequate protecton
thank you for your comprehensive replay!
I understand that I need antifreeze, I just always heard that specially VW, they don't like it when you use other manufacturers instead of their own.

regarding the expansion tank, I'm not sure if mine is the old one with silica bag but for sure I'll be looking into changing it specially because of the added benefits. if I would upgrade to the MK8 or the Tiguan expansion tank, do I need to buy any more parts or do they fit with my original hoses and brackets? since my car is a US model, my VW dealer always tells me that the parts they have doesn't fit my car & I have to order most of them online. even spark plugs as they say doesn't fit.

Jachas

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
A3 8V
I just always heard that specially VW, they don't like it when you use other manufacturers instead of their own.
As I told. "Bases" for coolants are 3 types: IAT(Inorganic additives) , OAT (Organic acid additives), HOAT (Hybrid of IAT and OAT), The difference is in additives (anticorrosion, lubrication,etc.) between manufacturers, So if you use same of these 3 types, it won't hurt, but the additives makes the difference.
I remember TSB/TPI regarding BiTDI overheating and if no obvious problem was found, VW recommended to swap coolant from G13 to G12evo.

I'm not sure if mine is the old one with silica bag

"MIT SILLIKAT" written on the front of the expansion tank.

for sure I'll be looking into changing it specially because of the added benefits. if I would upgrade to the MK8 or the Tiguan expansion tank, do I need to buy any more parts or do they fit with my original hoses and brackets?
MK8 vs MK7 expansion tank difference is mostly cosmetic (maybe little more coolant capacity in MK8 one). Tiguan BiTDI is even bigger (so even more coolant) and maybe slightly heat resistant, as two turbos surely makes more heat than one.
Fitting is 99% plug and play (chassis fitting is 100% the same between all MQB cars, maybe return line will be at different angle, but should fit, same with lower main coolant hose)

MK7 and MK8 expansion tanks should be available worldwide, but BiTDI one, 3Q0121407D may be only available only on markets where this engine was available

ahmedGTI

Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTI
Thank you for your great help.

I just checked and yes my car has the "MIT SILLIKAT" so I'll be sure to order a new tank before changing the coolant. I'll check what kind of additives are in the BMW coolant before choosing to go with it because I checked with my VW dealer and they only carry G13.

Jachas

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
A3 8V
because I checked with my VW dealer and they only carry G13.

Strange because VW sopped making G13 around 2018 (6 years ago), and all new evo engines (EA211evo, EA288evo, EA888gen4) uses only G12evo. At least in NAR and EU regions. If OE G12evo is not available, search for coolant with norm TL-VW774L (is the norm which G12evo complies)

ahmedGTI

Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTI
Yeah I guess our VW dealer is kinda out of date. I stopped counting on them after they were not able to get me spark plugs and breaks. I get almost all of my spare parts from ECS.

thank you, I'll be sure to ask if they have anything with norm TL-VW774L.