GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 GTI Brake Pad/Rotor replacement squeal - Help?

Stoffels88

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE
Hello everyone!

I wish I had something fun to post about, but instead, it's a brake issue :(

I have a 2017 VW GTI SE with a DSG and 63,000 miles. It has come time to change the front brake pads and rotors and I did the job about 3 weeks ago now. Now I am getting a very bad squealing noise coming from both sides on the front end when I brake. It only happens after about 10 or 15 minutes of driving so it's only when the brakes are warmed up, but it doesn't take much. There is no grinding and no noise when I'm not braking. If I really stump on the pedal there seems to be no sound. I actually replaced the front pads and rotors (drilled) with Brembo components so not true OEM, I'll post below.

Today I took everything apart and checked everything and cleaned it. out as well as applied CRC Disc brake quiet to the back of the pads ( This stuff ). It didn't seem to do anything. I have attached a video of the squealing sound. Any idea on what I should try next? I was thinking of different pads?

Link to Sound (5-second clip): https://photos.app.goo.gl/sPC6yQuVdEmKdHYU7

- Front Rotors I Used: Brembo Rotor ( Click Here )
- Front Pads I Used: Brembo Low Met Pad (Click Here)
- I've been following DAP auto parts for the how to: How to Video (Click Here)

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
did you bed the pads into the new rotors?

do a couple hard braking events from 50 mph, consistent brake pressure to distribute some material from the pad to the rotors. repeat x3

is the noise only at a certain point, will it stop if you increase pedal pressure, or they squeal throughout the stop?

Stoffels88

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE
I can't say I went aggressively at first, So How fast from 50mph should I decelerate (full pressure)?

- They are worst when I'm only applying light pressure. If I push harder it starts to go away.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Most pad manufacturers recommend near full pressure. Some say to do that up to 10 times. From 50-60 MPH to near full stop.

DUSlider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16' GTI SE/PP
This is from Hawk for street pads.

1. To break in the new components, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30 to 35 MPH applying moderate pressure.
2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 MPH.
3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.
5. Your brakes are now ready for use and can be driven normally.

Stoffels88

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE
So,

I've done the bedding process twice now,

The sequel has definatly been reduced but is still present every time I brake from a low speed to a stop. Any other thoughts? I was going to try to swap out brake pads next, hopefully, it isn't the rotors.

DUSlider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16' GTI SE/PP
So,

I've done the bedding process twice now,

The sequel has definatly been reduced but is still present every time I brake from a low speed to a stop. Any other thoughts? I was going to try to swap out brake pads next, hopefully, it isn't the rotors.
May just need some more brake pad grease applied to the back/sides of the pads where the caliper and clips rub up against.