GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI Air Conditioning Bad Smell!!

Ahmoodys

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Fellow Golfers,

Now my 2014 GTI, started making a bad smell as soon as I start my AC (Usually fades away after 1 min of operation), that's after six months of ownership, I don't know how to describe the smell, but for me it smells like mmmm... KETCHUP :D that's the closest I can describe it to, anyways I had a coolant problem (which resulted in changing of my thermostat under warranty btw costs 2500 Dirhams), so while fixing my car I asked the service guy there to check for this bad smell, then after checking it he said it's normal and it's an anti-bacterial agent in the AC filter that causes that smell, and blah blah and he said he cleaned it and in case it returns just get the car back to service. Guess WHAT?? it's still rockin some heinz up in my cabin!!! :( Is anyone experiencing the same thing if so any suggestions. Peace

Kilo

Passed Driver's Ed
Had the same problem, brought it in and didn't want to hear what the dealer had to say. I just asked them to change the AC filter. I think this is a known issue since the mkV GTIs...

No more bad smell.

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
I didn't have this on the golf yet but my Mom's audi had it. They changed the air filter and nothing happened. They then added a chemical cleaning agent and for now the smell has stopped.

First step would be to change the Air fliter as Kilo said!

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
I'm in a US spec 2015 GTI. I've had mine for only a few months and i'm smelling the same thing as well. In my 2012 golf r it had the same problem but usually after a long summer of use. Probably time to change the cabin filter. I'm shocked that the smell is there only after driving the car 6k! it usually last longer than that.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I'm in a US spec 2015 GTI. I've had mine for only a few months and i'm smelling the same thing as well. In my 2012 golf r it had the same problem but usually after a long summer of use. Probably time to change the cabin filter. I'm shocked that the smell is there only after driving the car 6k! it usually last longer than that.

I would have thought in Arizona your humidity would be to low for this to not be as much of an issue. Is humidity higher in winter?

In the Southeast this is a common issue more in summer due to humidity.

Cabin filter change yes.
I have head of some spraying product like Febreez in to cowling intake.

Best advise I have heard is to turn AC off 2-3min before you shut car off (like a half mile from your house) and if you can turn heat up for a minute and this is to help dry the system out before you shut down car. If coil area is dry then less change of mildew.

This is a pain at times to do. I have heard but not done, that my wife's Chevy Malibu Maxx can and has been programmed at dealer to keep blower running for 2-3 min (ac off) after the car is turned off. Is a draing on battery but help the blower dry out coil and then it cut off without you having to wait.

Maybe run this by VW dealer and see if they can change program timer. I would think original build woul dnot do this for fear of battery drain. Then just monitor how it does on your battery.

My two cents!;)

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
I would have thought in Arizona your humidity would be to low for this to not be as much of an issue. Is humidity higher in winter?

Cabin filter change yes.

Best advise I have heard is to turn AC off 2-3min before you shut car off (like a half mile from your house) and if you can turn heat up for a minute and this is to help dry the system out before you shut down car. If coil area is dry then less change of mildew.

This is a pain at times to do. I have heard but not done, that my wife's Chevy Malibu Maxx can and has been programmed at dealer to keep blower running for 2-3 min (ac off) after the car is turned off. Is a draing on battery but help the blower dry out coil and then it cut off without you having to wait.

Maybe run this by VW dealer and see if they can change program timer. I would think original build woul dnot do this for fear of battery drain. Then just monitor how it does on your battery.

My two cents!;)

There is this stuff you can buy to spray inside your cabin and let the AC run for several minutes. My brother in law did it in his 06 A4 and it worked like a charm.

The other method is to take advantage of the cold winter by running the AC at full blast in winter for several minutes which will also get rid of the bad smell. Much like when a coat stinks of smoke, you can leave it outside for a few hours in the chilly weather and it'll remove the odor.

I haven't changed the incabin filter yet. Does anyone know the model of it ? I ordered the mk6 one off amazon for 12 bucks in the past. TY!

Elchinophil

Ready to race!

Cabin filter change yes.

My two cents!;)

I thought the same that our Arizona weather has such low humidity it would just dry right up. We don't get rust here unless there's alot of rain and the rain doesn't properly get evaporated quick enough. The roads and sidewalk dry within minutes after a storm it's unbelievable; i'm from NYC where it's always wet for days so it was pretty amazing lol.

golfgti_tr

Ready to race!
stop your AC before you turn off your car about 1 min and run the vent on max. this operation allows the humidity in the AC pipe discharged and no mold to forming... I had the same problem with my MK6 and problem sorted out this way.

buzz944

Ready to race!
Hey Ahmed I had the dame issue here in KSA in my 13' CC

Just cleaned the AC system at the dealers and changed the cabine filter
Its kind of common on VW's
Also had a minor smell on my 12' Scirocco

Ahmoodys

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Ahmed I had the dame issue here in KSA in my 13' CC

Just cleaned the AC system at the dealers and changed the cabine filter
Its kind of common on VW's
Also had a minor smell on my 12' Scirocco

I'm about to have my first service at the dealer, I'll tell them to change it, I tried the trick of turning the heat up, somehow worked but for one day. Let's see how the filter change does with smell.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I'm about to have my first service at the dealer, I'll tell them to change it, I tried the trick of turning the heat up, somehow worked but for one day. Let's see how the filter change does with smell.

To help prevent in future, you will need to cut off AC and heat on each time you use AC when driving. You are trying to prevent dampness and mold growth. Guess one has to develop a habit. When you go for service, ask if they can program blower to run for 2 min after car is turned off to help dry out. I am wondering if this is an automatic option one can set up. I can not try as my car is not here yet. Thanks. Let us know how it goes.