GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Golf R vs MK6 GTI Stage 1

GolfGTI2014

Passed Driver's Ed
OK...

I assure you that I am not trying to start a big debate here but I would appreciate some insight from the knowledgeable folks on this forum.

I own a 2014 MK6 GTI with a Stage 1 Unitronic flash. Earlier this year, I purchased a 2015 Golf R. I still own the GTI, but my daughter is the its regular driver so I rarely use it at all.

I have been racing and tracking cars for more than 20 years and am also a BMWCCA instructor.

This morning, I spent about an hour driving the GTI. My honest observation is that the GTI is a much more spirited, nimble and hate to say it but ...fun, car to throw around. I have no data to support it but I would say that it is quicker in many ways.

I will be on track with the Golf R next weekend...so I will have more data.

Anyone out there have similar observations or insight? Does the Golf R need a flash to give it more of an edge?

Thanks

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
I think the GTI is just lighter and has more low end power, that's all you're feeling. Stg 1 MK6 GTI and MK7R are equally as fast from a roll and the MK7 is a better chassis all around. I would encourage you to take a MK7 PP GTI for a spin if you think your MK6 is fun... its even lighter than your MK6, has more low end power and the VAQ diff makes it that much more nimble, reactive and fun :)

GolfGTI2014

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks... I appreciate your assessment. Makes me seriously question the extra 20K I paid over the GTI (used). [Maybe a rainy track weekend will change my mind]

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
I think the GTI is just lighter and has more low end power, that's all you're feeling. Stg 1 MK6 GTI and MK7R are equally as fast from a roll and the MK7 is a better chassis all around. I would encourage you to take a MK7 PP GTI for a spin if you think your MK6 is fun... its even lighter than your MK6, has more low end power and the VAQ diff makes it that much more nimble, reactive and fun :)

How does it have more low end power? Smaller turbo? Legit question, i'm learning a lot on this forum. I have a MK6 gti and love it, and i have an R on the way but sometimes I question this future purchase if the gti is "faster".

pbrunts

08 Rabbit
Car(s)
mk7 Golf R
How does it have more low end power? Smaller turbo? Legit question, i'm learning a lot on this forum. I have a MK6 gti and love it, and i have an R on the way but sometimes I question this future purchase if the gti is "faster".

Yes, the smaller turbo has a lot to do with it.

The R is going to be faster. It's gonna pounce off the line better, it's gonna hit 60 faster, it's gonna track faster. It might not be a LOT faster, depending on what testing is done.

But power and speed doesn't really measure fun-ness. The mk6 GTI probably will feel more raw, more connected to the engine, and thus more fun. Plus, the emphasis on tq over hp makes the car pull really nicely.

But here's the other deal: the mk6 is an older engine. It's not necessarily age that makes it so, but the updated engine is going to take to mods better. It's gonna have a higher power cap. You're gonna see more out of a stage 1 tune on a mk7 than you will would out of a stage 1 tune on a mk6 or even a stage 2 tune on a mk5.

Take with a grain of salt comparisons between mkX with a stage 1/2 tune vs a stock mk7. The tunes are going to add a lot to the quality of the drive that car can produce. You will see the same out of a mk7 (plus more power behind it).

And, if you're upgrading to a mk7 from a mk5 or 6 you're not only getting a new engine. You also see all the goodies that come in the new mk7s. Personally, I was ecstatic to see leather become a more obtainable option. And the headunit, potential for upgraded speakers, and any options you might wish you had on your current car (sunroof, 4 doors, stick/paddles).

catdog1

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got a mk7 GTI PP/DCC with stage 1 apr low-output and a mk7 R stock dsg and the gti is more compliant but more fun and more agile... the R is more brutish and stiffer and louder...which is one is better depends on your mood, traction on R is unbeatable and the tick diff on the PP is awesomer than the initial understeer you get in the R...

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion

Are you asking about the MK6 making more low end power than the R or the MK7 GTI making more low end power than the MK6?

If you're asking about how it makes more low end power than the R, its because the K03 in the MK6 spools faster and the cams are tuned to make more midrange power. The MK7's IS38 turbo spools a bit slower, but after ~4Krpms it pulls much harder all the way to redline. Also remember the R has to spin the extra drivetrain for the headless system, this can make the engine feel like it's not as free-revving.

If you're asking how the MK7 GTI spools faster than the MK6 GTI, its because the IS20 turbo is a slightly shrunken version MK7 R's turbo that slightly smaller turbine wheels and housings allowing it to gain momentum faster. The GTI cams are also tuned to make power faster and have more midrange (like the MK6 GTI too). All MK7 EA888 ten 3 engines use an exhaust manifold that integrated into the head and have variable valve timing on the exhaust cam side now, this also increases spool up and flow rates over the MK6 engines. The K03 uses dinosaur tech throughout its makeup, its reliable but most turbo's (OE and aftermarket) made today are much more capable in all regards.

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
.....and THIS is why its a good idea to ask questions. Thank you to all for the education. My take away from the info I've gained? I MUST mod the R once I have had my fun with it in stock form. My wallet is crying....

pbrunts

08 Rabbit
Car(s)
mk7 Golf R
.....and THIS is why its a good idea to ask questions. Thank you to all for the education. My take away from the info I've gained? I MUST mod the R once I have had my fun with it in stock form. My wallet is crying....

FWIW, you probably wouldn't be on this forum asking these questions if your statement didn't apply to ALL of your cars, VW or otherwise.

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
FWIW, you probably wouldn't be on this forum asking these questions if your statement didn't apply to ALL of your cars, VW or otherwise.

Thanks. There is a lot of knowledge here. And a lot of helpful people.