GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Golf R is a rare breed in USA.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
In Chicago, there were two other R's at the Jet Wash I was at a few weeks ago. See them quite often around this city.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I see GTI's all the time, in my area I have yet to see an R in the wild. On the eastern side of ky or the surrounding states metro areas I have seen a couple, but definitely rare.

MasterBlaster

Car(s)
Golf R MK VII
Here in SF I see them regularly. In fact there is another black one in my neighborhood with a vanity plate (ugh) and another white one nearby too. I also see to Spektrums in my area from time to time. The viper green one and the plum purple one.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
Rarely see Rs. Plenty of GTIs whose drivers usually wave/nod/signal back. (Sorry, I'm from the midwest and am friendly to strangers.) Lots of STIs and even more Model 3s around here.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Rarely see Rs. Plenty of GTIs whose drivers usually wave/nod/signal back. (Sorry, I'm from the midwest and am friendly to strangers.) Lots of STIs and even more Model 3s around here.
GTI and R guys don’t seem to wave here. Wrangler and Subaru folks do though

Dan337

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
IMG_0706.jpg

Apparently so rare that I found this waiting for me in the parking lot at the park today lol. We have just under 60k people in Corvallis. Made me think of this thread of course. I think I've counted 5 MK7 R's around town, an MK6 R, and I saw an R32 with fresh dealer plate placeholders on Sunday.

First post btw, hello all!

dc

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
View attachment 212529

Apparently so rare that I found this waiting for me in the parking lot at the park today lol. We have just under 60k people in Corvallis. Made me think of this thread of course. I think I've counted 5 MK7 R's around town, an MK6 R, and I saw an R32 with fresh dealer plate placeholders on Sunday.

dc
Welcome to the forum @Dan337

MasterBlaster

Car(s)
Golf R MK VII
View attachment 212529

dc
Welcome! And it's funny that you say that because here in San Francisco, there's a MKV R32 in gray right down the street from me. And I've seen a few MK4 R32's as well. I guess this city loves its R's. Same with any VW really. SF is a VW town apparently. There are a bajillion Westfalia Vanagon Syncros here. A bajillion. That's a lot of Syncros.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I've found the closer you live to a large VW dealer the more likely you'll see them, especially in larger metro dealers. Around me, only one dealer was able to get me the equipment and color I wanted. That was back when DAP was an option so I imagine it's easier when you only need to chose transmission and color