GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Golf R is a rare breed in USA.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I've seen very few 7.5s (GTI or R), but lots of 7s. Which is actually weird, because the 7.5 models have officially been on sale longer than the 7s were (2015-17 vs. 2018-21 in North America).

Edit: This only applies to GTI, as the 7.5 R was only on sale 2018-19.
I'll honk next time.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
If you got those numbers out of the VW sales reports the model years and sales years don't align neatly. The overall numbers are correct, but year by year varies because you had 2016 model year cars start showing up in 2015 etc. The last production year for the R was 2019 so all the 2020 sales are actually 2019 model year vehicles. Don't remember if the 2018s showed up early in 2017 of if there was still 2017 inventory available in early 2018 but that would also skew the 7 vs 7.5 numbers a bit.

The 2018's were really late to arrive for some reason, I recall pics on the forums of them sitting in port.

I don't think they're that rare. There was--prior to working from home--2 other Rs in my work parking lot 🤷‍♂️

Cloudstryder

Car(s)
2016 Golf R
It makes sense that areas in the US with more snow and inclement weather have more R’s (east) for sure. Also makes sense that the Bay Area has a lot too, probably the most in California I’d imagine you guys see a bit more rain up there, and there’s more of a car scene. I’m fine being one of the lone ones out here. I’ve heard from a few people that they wanted the MK7R really bad originally but for the cost they bought four rings on their grill instead.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
The 2018's were really late to arrive for some reason, I recall pics on the forums of them sitting in port.

I don't think they're that rare. There was--prior to working from home--2 other Rs in my work parking lot 🤷‍♂️

That's right. The facelift cars were super late and once the last few 2017s were sold early in the year there was 0 inventory for months.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
My two best friends both have R’s and I know a handful of other owners in my area.
I know they exist around here, but I never see them lol

A few years ago I'd pass by a mk6 R almost every day and we'd give each other a wave. I think his bro had a white mk7 gti too, we'd be on metro at the same time after work some days. I barely even see GTIs around here. At least compared to civics, chargers, corvettes, and mustangs...Hell I see more focus st/rs and they quit making those a few years ago.

The only time I've seen an identical version of my car in person was at Eurotripper and there was 3 others, but 2 of them were DSG.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
It makes sense that areas in the US with more snow and inclement weather have more R’s (east) for sure. ...

This^^^ Here in Denver area I see them fairly regularly. Still see more GTIs I guess but in my experience pretty close.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
That's right. The facelift cars were super late and once the last few 2017s were sold early in the year there was 0 inventory for months.

Yeah, and shortly after the '18s arrived, they announced the optional colors and pretoria wheels. DSGs got snatched up, but there was a surplus of manuals that summer. When I got mine in August, something like 2/3 of the Rs left were manuals--at least there were deals to be had.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Any model R is pretty scarce in Phoenix. And I know because I'm hunting them. 😂

The few I see don't seem to be very interested in racing.