GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Golf R Cobb vs APR or other OTS Tunes??

ZakTrackAttack

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Hello all! New to the forum and Golf R ownership so forgive me if my format is wrong or off.

If this question was already answered please let me know. I tried to look for it but I couldn't find it anywhere.

I am wanting to tune my Golf R now and I am trying to go with the best stage 1 tune and also want to consider the future for more mods. I am leaning more towards APR because thier R&D is top tier and their support is great but the Cobb tuner looks good because its cheaper and can hold custom tunes.

How do the Cobb OTS tunes stack up against APR? Considering everything from streetability, power numbers, price point, future modding compatibility and other considerations?

I would also love to hear opinions on other OTS tune options too if you don't like either.

Thanks!

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
You shouldn’t use a Cobb ots for long term. Just get a ots tune from the many cobb people like 5150,eqt, strat, sneeky, ect. Eqt runs sales where he either selling the Cobb with a free tune or get a discount. I’m not gonna go through all the other bs since it’s been covered enough times.
i use eqt btw

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would go with Cobb because as you add future mods adding a new tune will be less expensive than APR and you don't have to go to a dealer. Welcome to the forum also.

davcohen

Ready to race!
... This

Go to EQT and Cobb its the best bang for the buck I was literally in the same predicament with my 2016 and literally just got my tune a few days ago based on the fact there is only positive news out there for EQT

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Cobb hands down.

Per my sig, reason I’m not following my own advice is because I don’t intend to go beyond my planned mods and custom tune.

ZakTrackAttack

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Wow, overwhelming votes to Cobb! It must be the better choice then. Thank you for all of your replies. From the research I was doing over the past 2 days, I am definitely going with Cobb. Seems to be the better choice.