GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Golf R Clutch Stuck To The Floor

davcohen

Ready to race!
Did some googling and it appears it could be the Clutch Master Cylinder.

My car is sitting at 38k miles, when it had 27k miles I had a DKM Stage 3 clutch and throw out bearing installed. Today was driving normally but all of a sudden when attempting to change from 2nd to 3rd the clutch pedal stuck to the floor.

I did open the bleed valve and fluid appears to be passing thru when depressing the clutch but it still just sticks to the floor. Should I just replace the Clutch Master Cylinder to rule that out?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
My dkm stage 3 TOB broke after 5-7k and was doing that. Pump the pedal (and pull it up) and see if the fluids Go down.

You can also see and hear if at the trans bell housing and weep hole if it’s broken and pissing it all about.

Master cylinders going bad is a much less likely situation than a fail DKM part.

davcohen

Ready to race!
I noticed some almost clear oily substance under my car that looks like it dripped out somewhere right around where the transmission connect to the engine...... is this the weep hole you mentioned above?

Does this mean my clutch has been contaminated with oil?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I noticed some almost clear oily substance under my car that looks like it dripped out somewhere right around where the transmission connect to the engine...... is this the weep hole you mentioned above?

Does this mean my clutch has been contaminated with oil?
Yup! The exact hole.

It’s possible the disc didn’t get contaminated if the leak just happened and didn’t spray the disc, only way to know is drop the transmission, sorry for the bad news.

davcohen

Ready to race!
As it was almost 2 years ago now I dont remember but I remember reading on the forums at the time to make sure to use an updated version of the throw out bearing that comes with the kit.

Seeming as its failed is there a specific one I should go for this time around so this does not occur again?

davcohen

Ready to race!
Yeah just get the oem replacement…

Mine was the “updated” all metal version that failed on mine was built in the kit from dkm
That had a September 2020 date.
So just a case of removing the transmission and replacing the TOB.

What is the recommended choice now in 2021 or are these TOB bound to fail regardless of which one you go for?

11k seems like a pretty short life span

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
DKM seems to never get the TOB right. All 3 revisions have had people reporting failures.

Because of this, I went with the Mk6 all metal TOB with my install, and I've had zero issues with the 15k miles the clutch has seen. I've had a couple people ask me if my engagement point is almost right off the floor with this combination, which it is. But I haven't operated a DKM with their provided TOB to compare, so I don't know if it's the TOB or the clutch.

https://www.emdauto.com/products/oe...1&_sid=41ab2e345&_ss=r&variant=32623248277592