GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Golf mirror caps with side assist (Arteon style)

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
My wife has this type of BSM LED in her A3 e-tron side mirrors. At first they were fairly anemic, but I found a setting in the MMI where I could adjust the brightness - maxed it out and now, they definitely do "pop" in peripheral vision.

Here's just the lights (albeit for Passat B8, but it's a MQB car, too, so should work(?)) for anyone who wants to take a dremel to their existing mirror caps. :)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32859645884.html

Last edited:

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I'm bumping this to keep it relevant. I know there are some really talented people on here that can figure this out so MK7's with BSM can have a better option than the often unnoticed pos stock BSM light. Really we just need mirror caps, the light and a wire harness.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Very similar to my thoughts. To that end, I bought some simple round amber LED "marker" lights (shipping from China); gonna see if I can hack a reasonable-looking cut-out in a spare mirror cap i have. I would think/hope that I could then just tap the "hot" and ground wire that blinks the BSM glass.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
So an update:

The VAGBase AliExpress account is offline again.

There is a website that claims to be VAGBase and they show in stock for $95+shipping

http://www.vagbase.com/lane-assist-...r-with-indicator-light-for-vw-golf-7-mk7.html

A company called VAGExpress has a similar kit in 4 colors (white, black, chrome, carbon) ranging from $120-170

https://www.vagexpress.com/products...-led-side-assist-light-for-vw-golf-7-golf-mk7

Guang zhou Xinjingyu Trading still shows them as available but at $160 plus shipping:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001027525071.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.17c92e0emvpFyx

A new vendor, Shop5597458, appeared selling a very similar kit for under $100 but be warned, it does NOT include wiring (I messaged them on Ali).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000718279828.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.6dd62e0eM9J3vf

So for me, the wait for an affordable and complete retrofit solution from a reputable vendor continues..

If anyone does pull the trigger, please report back with your findings.

Last edited:

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion

Sn00ky

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 variant DSG
Hi, have been reading for quite some hours now and the deadline is closing in as tomorrow we are starting on 3 DIY...

can someone point out to me where i can find the TTVL and RTVL please...
to connect the 2 wires for the BSA led?

secondly can someone confirm: for placing the bsa modules:

driver side (LHD) slave module and passenger side main module?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hi, have been reading for quite some hours now and the deadline is closing in as tomorrow we are starting on 3 DIY...

can someone point out to me where i can find the TTVL and RTVL please...
to connect the 2 wires for the BSA led?

secondly can someone confirm: for placing the bsa modules:

driver side (LHD) slave module and passenger side main module?
TTVL is the black plug where the door meets the chassis.

Sn00ky

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 variant DSG
TTVL is the black plug where the door meets the chassis.
I’ve been reading for 7 hours now...
Just to see that i’ve been over reading...

6C36C1C2-2BCA-4E56-BA79-B09D36618616.png7AD97A09-E75B-411E-958B-E6F3FD1A6D54.jpeg

is there is a connector on the inside i need pins 1 and 2?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yes there is a connector inside. If memory serves the connector on the inside has the male pins. It can be pushed into the car once you detach the door side connector shown in your pictures. And yes, pins 1 and 2 for the indicators. if you are buying one of the retrofit kits to install into your existing mirrors you will have long set of wires that goes from TTVL and TTVR through the door and into the mirror glass (with a little white square plug).

If you bought BSM equipped mirrors they will already have that wire with the white mirror plug in them, and the other side will be a 2 pin connector. You will have to buy the mating connectors (T2Jm and T2jx) or splice to make the connection.

snipp.JPG

mattchat

Anyone done this yet? I was thinking of doing this on the Tiguan first since I cracked the drivers side cap (2019 model, the new 2020 has this style of BMS like the Audi's so it should just be a matter of buying parts). The Tig and my R both have this older style so I would guess you could just buy the caps and BSM lights, and tap the new BSM lights into the wiring for the existing in mirror connectors. Since the sensors are at the rear of the car and both cars have BMS's this should work right? Only difference is the light will be on or off rather than dimmable like the factory setup on the new BSM lights. I'm okay with that.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I don't know that I would "tap" the existing BSM light wiring, probably safer to just repurpose. Meaning I would not try to have both the factory indicator and your new housing indicator connected at the same time.

With knowing nothing about the power supply (which is in the rear mounted sensor) for those indicators I don't know how you would choose whether to wire them in parallel or in series. On the other hand, the module does have error detection for the indicator and will likely just throw a fault if it doesn't like what it sees.

mattchat

I don't know that I would "tap" the existing BSM light wiring, probably safer to just repurpose. Meaning I would not try to have both the factory indicator and your new housing indicator connected at the same time.

With knowing nothing about the power supply (which is in the rear mounted sensor) for those indicators I don't know how you would choose whether to wire them in parallel or in series. On the other hand, the module does have error detection for the indicator and will likely just throw a fault if it doesn't like what it sees.
Yeah I should have been clearer as that is what I had done. I used the existing wiring to try and tap into the new BSM. I took the connectors apart down to bare wires and temporarily connected them so I could go back to factory. I was getting an error code when I had the new BSM's connected. The errors went away when I went back to the stock setup so thats good for now. I wonder if I could replace the sensors and get the extra power I need without having to replace the wiring loom in the door. I would think they all lead to the same place and either the BCM or the sensors are controlling the voltage, etc. If its the BCM then it might be a VAGCOM or OBD11 modification (assuming the same pins are used - I can't see VW making different BCMs for euro and NA give the NA cars have had this newer style since the beginning of this model).

This is easy to test by the way, because you don't need to drive the vehicle. Just go into the drive assist options and check off the lane assist - in my case with the new BSM it wouldn't stay selected (error pops up). And by the way, the rear cross traffic is disabled as well when the side assist is not working. All went back to normal and could be checked off when I plugged the OE setup back up. Those rear sensors are obviously dual purposed for cross traffic when backing up and for the blind spots.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I attached the drawing for the BSM/Lane Change Assist system. You are correct, the same sensors (J1086 and J1087) are responsible for Rear Cross Traffic alert. Per the drawing, this system is not connected to the BCM. I retrofitted BSM and it's a relatively isolated system, as compared to others on the car. Power and ground of course, and connection the gateway (extended CAN, J533).

As I mentioned, power to both indicators (VX66 and VX67), is provided by (one of) the monitors/modules itself, J1087. You have proven that it monitors the indicators, probably looking for the specific resistance provided by the factory LED indicators. You could (maybe) tap into the voltage line going to each indicator and use it to switch a relay that separately powers your housing mounted indicators. You would need to keep the factory ones connected though, and probably protect the existing system with a cheap diode. That way the modules see what they want so the system can be activated. And you get what you want (no fading of the housing indicators though).
Page 1.PNG
Page 2.PNG