GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GOLF 2.0 TDI FUEL PUMP ISSUES

Togoodaman2

Car(s)
Mk7 GOLF 2.0 GT
Recently the power was not there when trying to accelerate floor flat down which started off as a one off but became very intermittent very quickly within a week

The coil light started flashing and engine management light came on and limp mode

The car then struggled to start and when it did ran very rough lots of white smoke from exhaust wouldn't accelerate above 25mph and Jolts along going uphill and would stall at random timing if just left there to idle

There is a gushing sound coming from behind the dashboard if this has anything to do with the fuel and a ticking noise from rear

Using vcds the error came back as P0087 low fuel rail pressure intermittent

After changing the LPFP and filter the same problems occurred hard starting, stalling during idle , white smoke

Could this issue be down to the Fuel module chip or something else

Mk7 GT tech bluemotion
Engine - 2.0 TDI 150 CRBC 6MT

Last edited:

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
You have a newer model of TDI than I did, I had an early revision with the fuel pump known to disintegrate. Did you look in your filter housing to see if there were any metallic bits in there?

When my HP fuel pump went, the coil light flashed, then the CEL, then I finally got a message "Engine Malfunction, shutdown" on the display as the engine turned off. I had a P0087 code and when I opened the fuel filter you could see lots of fine metal particles.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Around this time last year I had failure of the low-pressure fuel pump control module, on top of the tank under the rear seat. That presented itself as the engine misfiring and complete lack of power, with DTC's for low fuel rail pressure. Then when I tried to restart the engine I got 'failure of pump electronics'.

As C31561 says, you can check the filter housing for metal particles but it's also possible to remove the valve on the top of the fuel pump, just a couple of torx bolts, and have a look for anything sitting in there.

Togoodaman2

Car(s)
Mk7 GOLF 2.0 GT
Turned out to be the fuel pump module chip all issues gone went straight after
The gushing noise from dashboard area Is the main indication apparently for fuel module