GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 fuel tank flap not opening

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
This is evidently a widespread VW and Audi issue as well. My boss has a 2015 Audi A7 sedan which has the same kind of door release that the Golf has. He just had to leave his car with the dealer for several days to get the release issue resolved.

Widespread? It is an issue but I wouldn't say that it is widespread [emoji4] I have and early build GTI no issues in two years in the Northeast also on my 4th Audi since 2009 no issues either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N10S

Ready to race!
Widespread? It is an issue but I wouldn't say that it is widespread [emoji4] I have and early build GTI no issues in two years in the Northeast also on my 4th Audi since 2009 no issues either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok...bad use of the word "widespread". Based on comments on this forum it sounds like a recurring problem and I know someone personally that has had this kind of issue. Its concerning and I hope I don't run into the problem with an empty tank. Better?

Btw- I have had 15 VW's (Edit 16 just remembered I traded my 2015 GTI on a 2016) and 4 Audis (including 2 S4's) as well. My experience with VW is that they are better than they used to be but are well known for buggy issues like coil pack problems and cam follower issues to name a couple.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Yes, when the car is locked you can not open the flap.
On my MK6, there was a tab that could be removed from the locking mechanism, it will still allow the door to close but not lock. I had to do this one day after the fuel door refused to open.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Early on there were issues with new MK7 that the door flap would catch and not open. Word back from dealer is they would sand down and edge of the latch. Since then I have not heard about it happing. Let dealer look it over.

According to my Carfax the whole assembly (flap and black casing behind it) was replaced. I assume for this issue. Whoever did the paint job though it doesn't match and under fluorescent light at night it looks orange. :mad:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Well nice to see I'm not alone here! I had to pop my outer cover off a few times, breaking some of the tabs in the process but it still holds on. From there I'm able to fiddle-f*** around with the other piece to pop it open.

Two things i'm taking away from this: sand down the deal that pops in and rotates when you push on the cover a bit, and also maybe it only doesn't open when my car is locked which i did not even think to check!

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
According to my Carfax the whole assembly (flap and black casing behind it) was replaced. I assume for this issue. Whoever did the paint job though it doesn't match and under fluorescent light at night it looks orange. :mad:

Don't feel too bad, every single GTI (from new) has a gas door and door handles that are a different color (they get painted separately at the factory). Unfortunately my eye is good enough to see that and it bugs the crap out of me! It's not just with VW, I see it with most cars (bumpers as well).

Bruce1974

Car(s)
Golf GTE
Hi all, I have a Golf GTE with the filler cap issues you are all talking about, checked fuses, not the issue for me, tried the unlock, lock, push every part of the cap...found a safe solution! I had two plastic tyre levers in the my car for my bike, I ran these around the out side of the filler door ( like taking a tyre off a bike) and got them behind the door, I then returned to the car and pressed the button, it popped straight open!!! The plastic tyre levers have made no mark at all, they are staying in the car from now on
20200425_123954.jpg

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Hi all, I have a Golf GTE with the filler cap issues you are all talking about, checked fuses, not the issue for me, tried the unlock, lock, push every part of the cap...found a safe solution! I had two plastic tyre levers in the my car for my bike, I ran these around the out side of the filler door ( like taking a tyre off a bike) and got them behind the door, I then returned to the car and pressed the button, it popped straight open!!! The plastic tyre levers have made no mark at all, they are staying in the car from now on.

I’ve not read the whole thread, so the issues below may have been covered earlier in the thread. Common causes of the mk7 / mk7.5 fuel flap sticking (at least on UK Golfs) are;
  • The fuel flap locking pin getting stuck in the plastic loop on the reverse side of fuel flap door that it slides in / out of when the car is locked and unlocked. A number of UK owners had this issue and the warranty fix was to shave some of the plastic off the plastic loop so the locking pin could slide freely in and out of the loop.
  • Faulty fuel flap actuator, resulting in an intermittent issue of the flap sometimes staying locked when the car is unlocked. If this is the cause of your problem, then replacement of the actuator is necessary.
I’m assuming the uneven panel gap around your filler flap in the picture (large gap at the top and no gap at the bottom) is being caused by the plastic tyre levers and the angle the picture was taken at - presumably, when the levers are removed, the gap is even all the way around the flap. If the fuel flap was incorrectly fitted when the car was built, it could mean the locking pin can’t slide freely in and out of the plastic loop - if so, then refitting the flap correctly should solve the issue (assuming neither of the two possible causes above are also present).

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
My pevious Mk7 Golf fuel flap stuck in cold weather as did the one on my uncle's VW Polo (prev model). Both cured via the filing down of the plastic as shown on earlier post, by oursleves as we didn't bother reporting it to VW. 100% cured the problem, fuel flap on my current Mk7 Golf has never stuck....