GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
The 17950 is not an option for Rs due to the driveshaft and that need clearance it seems -so I really don’t know what else to do

Jake was able to make it work - might be tight but seems like he’s able to do it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The 17950 is not an option for Rs due to the driveshaft and that need clearance it seems -so I really don’t know what else to do
I’m the guy who introduced this platform to the 17950, wrote this thread, and offers bolt on parts for AWD MQB using the even larger 3.5” inlet/outlet version of the 17950.

It’s not cheap, because it’s not quick or easy (nor is it possible without modifying both the DP & CBE).

Jake was able to make it work - might be tight but seems like he’s able to do it.
It’s tight for sure, takes every trick of the trade to make it happen.

where there's a welder, there's a way

Not necessarily. 485, FFE & others have shot their shot with building similar parts and come up short (rattles & lost ground clearance).

Not being a snob, but nobody else is doing it because it’s incredibly difficult even for professional fabricators.

Each of my Golf R DP & MP combos takes 26 hours of labor to build (even using production weld fixtures, which took 15 hours of labor to build).

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Not necessarily. 485, FFE & others have shot their shot with building similar parts and come up short (rattles & lost ground clearance).

Not being a snob, but nobody else is doing it because it’s incredibly difficult even for professional fabricators.

Each of my Golf R DP & MP combos takes 26 hours of labor to build (even using production weld fixtures, which took 15 hours of labor to build).
Modest ass :p

I still think my point stands, though it's intended to also imply (in jest) that one would go as far as to cut and fabricate things like the floor pan in order to make it fit. I don't have firsthand knowledge (yet) of what your craftsmanship is like, but based on the videos and feedback from other forum members, I don't think there's anybody else I'd buy a downpipe from.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Modest ass :p

I still think my point stands, though it's intended to also imply (in jest) that one would go as far as to cut and fabricate things like the floor pan in order to make it fit. I don't have firsthand knowledge (yet) of what your craftsmanship is like, but based on the videos and feedback from other forum members, I don't think there's anybody else I'd buy a downpipe from.

I believe the term goes “with enough sawzall blades, anything is possible”.

They hate it when I use that joke at my day job haha

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I’m the guy who introduced this platform to the 17950, wrote this thread, and offers bolt on parts for AWD MQB using the even larger 3.5” inlet/outlet version of the 17950.

It’s not cheap, because it’s not quick or easy (nor is it possible without modifying both the DP & CBE).

It’s tight for sure, takes every trick of the trade to make it happen.

I applaud your efforts and appreciate everything you’ve done for the community. 26 hours of labor is a multiple thousand dollar exhaust on a 4 banger is a very niche market. I think I’ll end up trading the car because I can’t stand it anymore for highway commutes- it’s an almost perfect vehicle aside from the exhaust note.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I applaud your efforts and appreciate everything you’ve done for the community. 26 hours of labor is a multiple thousand dollar exhaust on a 4 banger is a very niche market. I think I’ll end up trading the car because I can’t stand it anymore for highway commutes- it’s an almost perfect vehicle aside from the exhaust note.

Correct not cheap, especially compared to the Chinese e commerce that’s flooded this space.

I’d seriously consider putting a stock exhaust back on it vs trading it in on something else, but that’s just my $0.02

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Correct not cheap, especially compared to the Chinese e commerce that’s flooded this space.

I’d seriously consider putting a stock exhaust back on it vs trading it in on something else, but that’s just my $0.02
Stock exhaust is back on. Still drones from 2-3000 rpm on the highway.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R

I have it on my R and so does @MSH in addition to a handful of others sprinkled around these forums and VWVortex. I paired it with the Nameless catback. It didn’t seem that difficult for my exhaust shop to weld on/tuck after I showed them @MSH’s photos. No clearance issues (I’m stock height on 18’s with 245/40 tires though). It’s been great and no issues for over a year now.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Just wanted to chime in- I just realized the previous owner of my car had the exhaust flaps permanently open. This was the root cause of all my highway drone. With the exhaust flaps back in normal operations with the stock downpipe and catback it is now tolerable. What an idiot I am!

Mk7casey

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 Cornflower GTI
I'd buy the DP with just a cat and add the 17950 in the straight part of the magnaflow. I talked a few guys into that already and they love it
I am currently running cts dp with high flow cat, no res just a magnaflow muffler and I get tons of drone, if I added the Vibrant 17950 will it only help with drone or will it make it quieter because it sounds amazing just lots of drone.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Should reduce the drone, this engine sounds like garage there’s really no way around it. It is a great engine though!

Mk7casey

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 Cornflower GTI
His stock muffler is killing the pops and crackles. I have a 17950 and straight through Borla muffler and still get them on deceleration

I've been wondering what a DP and Vibrant without a muffler at all would be like. Loud I'm sure, but as far as I know nobody's tried it. It would for sure have pops and crackles with no muffler to absorb them
do you have any sound clips with this setup?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I am currently running cts dp with high flow cat, no res just a magnaflow muffler and I get tons of drone, if I added the Vibrant 17950 will it only help with drone or will it make it quieter because it sounds amazing just lots of drone.
Kind of... I have a catted CTS dp w/ a Beluga Racing catback and it was pretty deep (low frequency) initially, changing the resonator to the 17950 raised the frequency which means the higher frequency sound waves don't travel as far (including reflecting off buildings/walls/etc and back into the car) so it sounds quieter in that sense, and of course less vibrations. Still sounds good though

quick sound clip

Last edited: