GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
Thanks, had no idea that was a brand. At that price, the mufflers better have some sort of baffling, but at that size, the effect will be minimal at anything above 2000rpm. I have done a few J pipes, mostly on V8's and the results is a high pitch exhaust note. The drone is caused by low frequencies, so cancelling those frequencies will leave you with a mid-range and above exhaust note. I think the only J pipe exhaust I heard that sounds half ass decent is the MBRP exhaust, and it sounds like utter garbage if you remove the cats. You can try, I think last time I did calculations for this car the length of the pipe was almost 52" long, while in a V8 most of the ones I have done are less than 30".

The thumbnail for the video you posted have a coiled pipe... the "engineers" that suggested J pipes for exhaust strongly suggest not doing that and advise the use of only one 90 degree bend at the most. The more bends you add the less effective the 1/4 wave resonator will be. I think the logic was that it messed with the calculations so you had to lengthen or shorten the pipe to find the right spot for the frequency you want to cancel.
Hmm, I'm not familiar with the bending causing an issue but I wasn't planning on that either way.

I also haven't heard anyone mention the results of putting a J-pipe on a 4 cylinder leading to a high-pitched exhaust note. Maybe that's a V8 specific thing?

I'll be planning something like this: https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/helmholtz-resonator-created.9278077/?id=9278077

Another member on VWVortex also had great results on his R: https://flic.kr/p/2jnCaf4

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Hmm, I'm not familiar with the bending causing an issue but I wasn't planning on that either way.

I also haven't heard anyone mention the results of putting a J-pipe on a 4 cylinder leading to a high-pitched exhaust note. Maybe that's a V8 specific thing?

I'll be planning something like this: https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/helmholtz-resonator-created.9278077/?id=9278077

Another member on VWVortex also had great results on his R: https://flic.kr/p/2jnCaf4
Curious what resonator that is and how he fit it under the driveshaft

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Curious what resonator that is and how he fit it under the driveshaft
Looks identical to the 17950, just that Jake does a clean job with TIG and I think he also shortens the necks a little bit, and that one was installed with a MIG.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Looks identical to the 17950, just that Jake does a clean job with TIG and I think he also shortens the necks a little bit, and that one was installed with a MIG.
the picture referenced with the J pipe and resonator I don’t think is one of Jakes designs. Do you have that actual post? @doctorGolfR I would like to contact that user directly.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
the picture referenced with the J pipe and resonator I don’t think is one of Jakes designs. Do you have that actual post? @doctorGolfR I would like to contact that user directly.
He’s saying the resonator itself in that image looks to be a vibrant 5” body unit.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
He’s saying the resonator itself in that image looks to be a vibrant 5” body unit.
Got it. Seeing if someone local can fab something.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I've been trying to chase down this noise (which is intermittent) along with what seems to be consistent rubbing which has increased cabin noise significantly. I have to assume it's all related but who knows. It does seem to get worse with aggressive driving (left hand turns) I found some spots where my custom 4' downpipe may have been rubbing. I just took it to my exhaust fabricator and they did a little realigning but it ended up solving nothing.
Can the attached sound possibly be anything else other than exhaust rubbing on heatshield or something else? I'm at a loss

https://youtube.com/shorts/AqqlSxiVIk8

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
I've been trying to chase down this noise (which is intermittent) along with what seems to be consistent rubbing which has increased cabin noise significantly. I have to assume it's all related but who knows. It does seem to get worse with aggressive driving (left hand turns) I found some spots where my custom 4' downpipe may have been rubbing. I just took it to my exhaust fabricator and they did a little realigning but it ended up solving nothing.
Can the attached sound possibly be anything else other than exhaust rubbing on heatshield or something else? I'm at a loss

hmm, I have no idea. Is that the noise getting worse when you rev the engine?

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S

Definitely sounds like it's hitting up against something or something is loose. Try popping the hood while it's running and have someone rev it up so you can hear it from outside. It could also be hitting against the braces along the exhaust tunnel.

Reactions: MSH

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Definitely sounds like it's hitting up against something or something is loose..,, It could also be hitting against the braces along the exhaust tunnel.

This appears to be the culprit….

1673206013107.jpeg

Attachments

• 1673205921868.jpeg
    1673205921868.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Just reporting, still experience drone with a stock everything exhaust. Thing it’s an inevitable feature of this high strung 4 banger. Next car will not be a 4 cylinder. Lol.

Reactions: MSH

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
..,.. Next car will not be a 4 cylinder. Lol.
Mine wont be either and I’m moving shortly with used market finally softening. Issue is the f8x s55 motor exhaust note is the Mqb 4 equivalent in a 6.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Just reporting, still experience drone with a stock everything exhaust. Thing it’s an inevitable feature of this high strung 4 banger. Next car will not be a 4 cylinder. Lol.
If you have drone with everything stock you have something "loose" somewhere in the drivetrain. I am getting some noise that seems like drone and I noticed that the engine mount is moving a little more than normal. BFI motor mount, insert, and Powerflex Hybrid puck are on the way.