GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Yeah, I bought this apr midpipe that had to be repaired as it split. It’s 304 but it’s very thin so the welder has to work fast or it will burn through it, and when it’s fast the welds are undercut, and don’t really penetrate so this will happen.

Attachments

• 4461AAB7-0235-4F14-ACA8-BFD93E64A69E.jpeg
    4461AAB7-0235-4F14-ACA8-BFD93E64A69E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 128

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Yeah, I bought this apr midpipe that had to be repaired as it split. It’s 304 but it’s very thin so the welder has to work fast or it will burn through it, and when it’s fast the welds are undercut, and don’t really penetrate so this will happen.
The welder had to work fast because he was probably running overpowered and used a larger than needed fill rod to prevent blow through. That's why there is excessive face reinforcement (high profile weld) on that weld. That is not actually undercut. This is the one reason I love my Everlast 200DV pulse settings for welding thin sheet metal.

Almost every other aftermarket exhaust sold mass produced uses the same 18ga ( I have seen some 20ga 304 used in some of the OBX Camaro exhausts). I think most of the individual builders use 16ga for anything up to 3", and for 3.5" and larger downpipes I use 14ga.

bradbusa

Car(s)
17 gti
Hey all, I'm looking for some advice. I will be installing an ARM catted downpipe soon onto an is38 gti. I have completely stock exhaust currently and will only be replacing turbo and downpipe. Will this set up leave me with a lot of drone? Or should I look into replacing the resonator with the recommended vibrant res?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Hey all, I'm looking for some advice. I will be installing an ARM catted downpipe soon onto an is38 gti. I have completely stock exhaust currently and will only be replacing turbo and downpipe. Will this set up leave me with a lot of drone? Or should I look into replacing the resonator with the recommended vibrant res?

With the stock catback only people on the sensitive end of the spectrum will be bothered by drone, but the 17950 (or my bolt on OEM Fitment Resonated Midpipe that features it) will make a massive improvement in overall sound quality regardless.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
Do it in stages. See how you like it/can tolerate it then decide on the 17950.

jaydenmk7

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Hello, looking for some help regarding the fitment of my future setup and what I am trying to do. Currently, I have a CTS turbo 3" catted downpipe to the stock res and then a muffler delete on the stock catback. Obviously, this is way too loud. I've been reading this forum and I think that I am going to go with either the 17930 or 17950 depending on fitment and a Borla XSPro muffler. My question is if I should get the 17930 or the 17950 if I have a 3" downpipe but am planning to continue onto the 2.5" stock catback piping after the res. My next question is regarding which Borla XSPro muffler I should get if I want to place it under my fuel tank in that bend. Offset or Inline? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Hello, looking for some help regarding the fitment of my future setup and what I am trying to do. Currently, I have a CTS turbo 3" catted downpipe to the stock res and then a muffler delete on the stock catback. Obviously, this is way too loud. I've been reading this forum and I think that I am going to go with either the 17930 or 17950 depending on fitment and a Borla XSPro muffler. My question is if I should get the 17930 or the 17950 if I have a 3" downpipe but am planning to continue onto the 2.5" stock catback piping after the res. My next question is regarding which Borla XSPro muffler I should get if I want to place it under my fuel tank in that bend. Offset or Inline? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Read the very first post in this thread.

rb7gti

Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Looking to get a little more sound out of my cts (catted w/ 200 cell) turboback exhaust. It’s one of the quietest full exhausts out there. Would replacing the cts resonator with a vibrant 17950 further up net me a small increase in volume? Or bring out more of the dsg “blip” that my dsg tune brought? (7spd) The cts resonator is a fairly large oval shape, no clue what it has for internals wondering how much sound it’s actually muffling

Attachments

• 850F1986-CBF8-43C6-B7B6-C954971E729F.jpeg
    850F1986-CBF8-43C6-B7B6-C954971E729F.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 44

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Looking to get a little more sound out of my cts (catted w/ 200 cell) turboback exhaust. It’s one of the quietest full exhausts out there. Would replacing the cts resonator with a vibrant 17950 further up net me a small increase in volume? Or bring out more of the dsg “blip” that my dsg tune brought? (7spd) The cts resonator is a fairly large oval shape, no clue what it has for internals wondering how much sound it’s actually muffling

You should see a slight bump in volume, and deeper tone with the resonator deleted & a 17950 in the traditional Midpipe location

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
You should see a slight bump in volume, and deeper tone with the resonator deleted & a 17950 in the traditional Midpipe location
DUMB question.

does moving the resonator farther back closer to the muffler increase volume? I have a bottle resonator right by the catalytic converter which is in the center of the car and wouldn't mind gaining slight increase in volume. High way drone at 90mph above is pretty loud.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
DUMB question.

does moving the resonator farther back closer to the muffler increase volume? I have a bottle resonator right by the catalytic converter which is in the center of the car and wouldn't mind gaining slight increase in volume. High way drone at 90mph above is pretty loud.

27E45EAF-2339-4A90-B50A-4DFC05510537.jpeg

This is the correct location.

Any closer and heat will shorten the life of the packing materials, further away you’re giving up sound quality.

Resonator doesn’t set volume, it’s addressing tone (eliminating harsh frequencies).

Before someone says PrOvE iT I’m not a engineer, this is my experience in building systems for several platforms.