GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Like I said, it was a mistake! (Trying to fix a mistake with another mistake reallyšŸ˜†) The mid section wasn't quite long enough and so they had to use a small piece to fill the gap to the dp, and that piece is welded directly to it.

The og mufflers in the Y, like you see in the picture, are gone, it's just the resonator in the midpipe and the Borla in the bend now. There isn't any contact I can see. The question is, is the drone between 2k-3k caused by my janky setup or normal? I also have a feeling these engines just don't sound good, which is why inside it just sounds very monotone, without much "thrrrum."
Oh, sorry I missed reading the part about the rear mufflers being deleted, now knowing that, you need to refer to the first post of this thread and replace the smaller first resonator with the one recommended.

When I first built my exhaust I ignored the original recommendation and used and super small $40 dollar resonator and still had lots of drone, switched it out to the larger vibrant. And it curbed a lot of it. Mind you this was with a aftermarket DP, when I was running the stock DP and my custom catback with 2 borla xr1 mufflers in the rear section I was fully resonator -less and donā€™t recall have drone issues.

This was with stock DP -

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU9b0WgLjkF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Only did a short cold start but working on getting some interior/exterior videos.

Throwing some numbers out there too with the setup.
https://datazap.me/u/nokisme/eqt-stage-2-0?log=0&data=5-8&mark=77-106-163-90-124-150-211-261-292
That turbo is too small
1654338754133.png

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Oh, sorry I missed reading the part about the rear mufflers being deleted, now knowing that, you need to refer to the first post of this thread and replace the smaller first resonator with the one recommended.

When I first built my exhaust I ignored the original recommendation and used and super small $40 dollar resonator and still had lots of drone, switched it out to the larger vibrant. And it curbed a lot of it. Mind you this was with a aftermarket DP, when I was running the stock DP and my custom catback with 2 borla xr1 mufflers in the rear section I was fully resonator -less and donā€™t recall have drone issues.

This was with stock DP -

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU9b0WgLjkF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Adding the vibrant res would probably help, I'm just surprised it is even needed with a stock dp. Your car sounds pretty good btw. I think I actually saw it in person at the VW dealership in Centennial Hills when I lived there.

Jake is local to me now, so I could see if he'd be willing to build me a custom midpipe with a 17950. That might be enough, because the connection to the DP is a pretty janky booger weld. OR I just stop messing with this frankenstein thing I have and buy a new, higher quality catback.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Adding the vibrant res would probably help, I'm just surprised it is even needed with a stock dp. Your car sounds pretty good btw. I think I actually saw it in person at the VW dealership in Centennial Hills when I lived there.

Jake is local to me now, so I could see if he'd be willing to build me a custom midpipe with a 17950. That might be enough, because the connection to the DP is a pretty janky booger weld. OR I just stop messing with this frankenstein thing I have and buy a new, higher quality catback.
If Jake is close to you, why bother with anything else?

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
If Jake is close to you, why bother with anything else?
If I decide to modify my existing setup, yes, I'd definitely want him to do the work. I just have a hard time justifying the costs for his full catbacks though. I know they're one of the highest quality options out there, but they're also around double the price of most other exhausts. I feel like I can get a good enough quality catback for $1000-1200. I don't plan on ever getting a DP.

Last edited:

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
If I decide to modify my existing setup, yes, I'd definitely want him to do the work. I just have a hard time justifying the costs for his full catbacks though. I know they're one of the highest quality options out there, but they're also around double the price of most other exhausts. I feel like I can get a good enough quality catback for $1000-1200. I don't plan on ever getting a DP.
I hear that, it is a tough pill to swallow. I felt the same way at first, but I have to say there is a difference. Borla is a huge name, which is why I went with them originally, but Jake's stuff surpasses their S-Type. You can only justify the cost and I'm not trying to steer you wrong, but take his stuff into consideration and save yourself the headache down the road if you can.

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Has anyone used the Miltek resonated midpipe before? Preferably with an IE downpipe and stock axle back?

Personally I have not. I've had the quad Milltek cat-back on Milltek downpipe with the 3" Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator.

I prefer the APR resonator CBK0005.

My current setup: APR DTR6054 Turbo, ARM catted DP, APR resonator CBK0005, AWE Track sounds super nice!!!

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I was able to find an APR resonator. So now I got to figure out the rear muffler. Thereā€™s an RS7 akrapovic on eBay that appears tempting.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Iā€™d recommend a CSS muffler with the OEM exhaust if youā€™re not interested in doing a downpipe.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Iā€™d recommend a CSS muffler with the OEM exhaust if youā€™re not interested in doing a downpipe.
This is what I should have done from the beginning instead. I no longer have my stock catback, but it looks like used ones online are ~$350. Add a clubsport muffler for $450 and that's $800 total. Do you think that's a better quality system than, for example, an APR or MAP catback?

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
This is what I should have done from the beginning instead. I no longer have my stock catback, but it looks like used ones online are ~$350. Add a clubsport muffler for $450 and that's $800 total. Do you think that's a better quality system than, for example, an APR or MAP catback?

Both MAP & APR are 304 stainless, but very poorly built. Improperly welded stainless isnā€™t ā€œstainlessā€ anymore.

CSS is 409 thatā€™ll still rust just like what came on the car. Good news is it fits correctly as youā€™d expect from a OEM part.

At the end of the day the stock downpipe chokes up so much sound & cabin drone itā€™s kinda hard to screw up that aspect. So Iā€™d post what youā€™ve got up for trade for a stock CBE locally & wait on a used CSS

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
I absolutely love my CSS rear section with mid-res delete on the factory downpipe. It's truly a great OEM+ option that looks like factory and doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME!!!!". There's more sound for sure, but doesn't have any of the "shouty" sound quality to it. Extremely civilized when just driving around, but barks a bit when you open the throttle as you'd expect.