GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
For what it’s worth I installed a Trackslag catted downpipe and a CTS catback over the weekend and the cabin drone is unreal under any acceleration. Especially around 3k. Feeling pretty defeated. Hopefully adding the vibrant resonator will help. Otherwise I’ll toss the stock rear section back on.
Do you feel a vibration form the "boomyness"

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Well that’s the first I heard that. But right now my concern is the drone.

Correct, which is why I recommended putting the OEM catback back on.

The absolutely massive suitcase muffler makes drone much easier to manage as the overall volume across the entire spectrum is much lower.
CTS sucks

eBay quality, with quadruple the price. Literally 2000% mark up on the most Chinesium of the e-commerce world.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
CTS sucks

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
CTS sucks
I’ve never purchased any of their products before this but it certainly looks to be good quality.
I’m trying to figure how tf guys tolerate these cars with muffler deletes

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I’ve never purchased any of their products before this but it certainly looks to be good quality.
I’m trying to figure how tf guys tolerate these cars with muffler deletes
I gave up trying to understand, but to each's own. I learned the hard way...aftermarket dp and borla type s catback is not for me. Thought I would be able to withstand it since it gave me that extra stage 2 oomph, but once it it some load, that boom is too much for me.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
https://kilmat.com/

Your trunk and back seat.

OR

Stock exhaust goes back on.
I did my entire rear end and under the rear seat. Seamed to work for a while, but I must be developing an exhaust leak over time because it would gradually sound worse over time. It was unbearable at times. Now that I put on the full stock exhaust back, all I hear is wind noise and the road...sucks ass. Might throw on the dp after inspections to see how that sounds like with stock catback.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
I gave up trying to understand, but to each's own. I learned the hard way...aftermarket dp and borla type s catback is not for me. Thought I would be able to withstand it since it gave me that extra stage 2 oomph, but once it it some load, that boom is too much for me.
Who tf is buying these cat backs and actually leaving them on how they are. I don’t know how you could stand it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Who tf is buying these cat backs and actually leaving them on how they are. I don’t know how you could stand it.

People feel invested so they never follow up on their giddy pre installation review and think it “looks nice” because it’s shiny, then the next guy buys one and the process continues. Aside from the lack of development, poor sound quality, leaks and fitment issues the welds are all destined for failure. Buying something that “needs fixed” makes no sense.

If you look you’ll find honest reviews from after the honeymoon. I’ve personally removed broken CTS parts and had a free downpipe from them way back I had to fix before installing (which started the snow ball effect of developing my products out of disgust for how bad the stuff out there for these cars was

Stainless steel is a exotic metal, and it’s reactive to oxygen while welding. These cheap Chinese parts aren’t back purged (shielding gas inside the tube to keep the reaction with oxygen from happening) so even IF they could properly weld it’s a ruined part by default because it’s porous like a sponge on the back side. Add heat, vibration, and exhaust soot and that paper thin sponge corrodes from the inside out till it fails completely.

Because of these reactions the base metal is so compromised re welding it properly will still result in a second failure. The damage is already done.
E6537FF1-CE39-44A4-8B23-98872E155FB4.png
C76560D1-702C-4A15-AE9A-76F985EE0960.png
2D12FA66-775E-4E2A-8350-A55FC6BB7A56.png

I’m sure anyone this could save from themselves is punching air by now, but for those still interested this video shows both the correct and incorrect ways to weld stainless.

Not recommending everyone go out and buy race quality parts, but I absolutely recommend NOT buying junk if you don’t want to buy something quality and leave those parts stock to avoid all the hassle. There’s no such thing as a cheap quality exhaust, the proper materials alone to do it correctly cost more than 90% of what’s offered for MQB cars.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
The only DP I'dd ever buy is the Depo Racing one, but even then I plan to keep it on the stock downpipe this time around. MBRP's exhaust is expected tomorrow so we will see how it goes!