GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

Mufasakoji

Ready to race!
Didn't see this answered in the thread but if it was, I apologize for repeating it.

I have a 2018 Golf R and I just recently bought a trackslag and vibrant 17950 resonator. The prices on valved catbacks have kinda dissuaded me especially, since the gain is minimal if at all, and the sound isn't that great either.

I was wondering if right where the suitcase muffler ends, I can have a muffler shop cut the piping, replace with a 3in pipe all the way through? That way it gets welded seamlessly to the vibrant and trackslag and I can retain the stock vavles.

Has anyone done something similar?

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
looking for some thoughts. I’m probably not going to get much better than it is now but just will throw out what I have done.

14k miles I’ve ran the IE downpipe only. I was fairly pleased with the sound. My wife was riding along and made a buzzing bee sound and that was it. I’m like ok it does kinda sound that way.

I found a deal on an APR catback non resonated and drone was as you could expect. The sound of the exhaust was great though. Very deep tone imo.

Baun performance sent me a custom made to fit 17950 to go between the APR catback and IE downpipe. This got rid of almost all the drone but still not completely gone. (this is probably not possible with my current catback).

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a Baun performance downpipe to just switch things up and ended up finding a deal on a trackslag catless downpipe. I was able to sell the IE to cover the cost of the trackslag. The sound is almost no different surprisingly (that says a lot for the trackslag for sure).

Sorry for the super long post but just wanted to throw everything out there since this is the best exhaust thread going. I am still getting drone just under 2k and as soon as it creeps over 2k it’s good to my ears. Is there any other options I have? Thanks for the tips

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
looking for some thoughts. I’m probably not going to get much better than it is now but just will throw out what I have done.

14k miles I’ve ran the IE downpipe only. I was fairly pleased with the sound. My wife was riding along and made a buzzing bee sound and that was it. I’m like ok it does kinda sound that way.

I found a deal on an APR catback non resonated and drone was as you could expect. The sound of the exhaust was great though. Very deep tone imo.

Baun performance sent me a custom made to fit 17950 to go between the APR catback and IE downpipe. This got rid of almost all the drone but still not completely gone. (this is probably not possible with my current catback).

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a Baun performance downpipe to just switch things up and ended up finding a deal on a trackslag catless downpipe. I was able to sell the IE to cover the cost of the trackslag. The sound is almost no different surprisingly (that says a lot for the trackslag for sure).

Sorry for the super long post but just wanted to throw everything out there since this is the best exhaust thread going. I am still getting drone just under 2k and as soon as it creeps over 2k it’s good to my ears. Is there any other options I have? Thanks for the tips
The only downpipe that will completely get rid of the drone is OEM. Your other option is to silence the exhaust more with a quieter muffler(s).

Or add lots of sound deadening, but it's better to fix the problem at the source

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
The only downpipe that will completely get rid of the drone is OEM. Your other option is to silence the exhaust more with a quieter muffler(s).

Or add lots of sound deadening, but it's better to fix the problem at the source
Yeah I’m FBO is38 so prefer never to put the stock dp back on lol. I might experiment with some sound deadening to see if I can cure the extra bit of drone left. I could always swap to a Baun performance catback but that would be an expensive trial.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
At that point you need an accurately calculated j/pipe frequency calculator.

You have to find the frequency that’s bothering you then you’ll know how long a custom shop will need to make the j pipe for your exhaust
Yes I’ve also been looking into that as well. Wondering if there is any negative to using that style drone elimination.

Bolivarjoy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
This doesn’t address the immediate questions listed above…but I am three weeks out from having a Baun 300 CEL downpipe installed and paired with a Baun mid-pipe resonator paired with the OEM catback on my 2019 GTI and I love it…just enough growl and very hard to discern any drone. A very nice combination.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Yes I’ve also been looking into that as well. Wondering if there is any negative to using that style drone elimination.
I looked into making one of these and even found a calculator. The required length ended up being almost 4 feet long, not impossible to fit but more effort then I felt like putting into it.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
This doesn’t address the immediate questions listed above…but I am three weeks out from having a Baun 300 CEL downpipe installed and paired with a Baun mid-pipe resonator paired with the OEM catback on my 2019 GTI and I love it…just enough growl and very hard to discern any drone. A very nice combination.
I’ve thought about this as well. My car is a 2019 also. However my midpipe will not work with that setup so I’d have to get another one made to work the stock catback. The sound I have now I’m really happy with just wish I could quiet down a little more drone.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
I looked into making one of these and even found a calculator. The required length ended up being almost 4 feet long, not impossible to fit but more effort then I felt like putting into it.
Oh wow 4’ 😮 I wouldnt have expected that length but also haven’t looking into the calculations yet.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
1/4 wave tube for 4 cyl cars are pretty long, double the length of an 8 cyl. For a 2000rpm drone, depending on the location you are the size can go from 48-52". I am going to work over the winter on a "expansion" chamber the same way the OEM resonator works. Same principle as the and the Gibson MWA works, and the Dynomax VT worked but without the flapper. VW uses the same technique on the R, GM uses it something similar on the Camaro SS and the NPP exhaust but in conjunction of a J tube. Basically, large holes that allow the gases to escape into a large chamber eliminating drone. The only problem is that done incorrectly it will also reduce low frequencies making the exhaust sound thin. There are other companies that have done expansion chambers in the 1/4 wave fashion like MBRP, but I don't have the calculations for those.

Jace

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 gti
Anyone tried making a single exit with this vibrant muffler paired to a 17950 plus a trackslag catless? Curious how it would end up sounding. If not that setup, anyone have experience with this muffler in general?

Screenshot_20211222-181929.png