GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Just did a muffler delete on my 2020 GTI S. I love the volume but the tone of it is a bit too far on the bass-y side. When around 2500-3000 RPM you can feel it in the back of your seat. From my understanding, and my skimming of as many pages of this thread as I reasonably could, the muffler is what primarily controls volume and the resonator is what controls the tone. I am happy with the volume but I want to change the tone so I am assuming I need to swap out the resonator, right? I see everybody recommend vibrant 17930s all the time but before I pull the trigger I'd like to get some advice. Car is running stock downpipe and cats the only exhaust modification is the removal of the muffler.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...to-get-the-sound-you-want.345407/post-7048788

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yea I read that part I was just hoping for some kind of first hand experience. I have been skimming through all the pages in this thread trying to see if anyone else has done the same and was happy with it. The 17930/17950 seems to be the "gold standard" as far as resonators got but before I dropped the cash I am just trying to do some more research.
First post was made off of multiple first hand experiences of the OP, the follow 100 pages are full of member with first hand experience, I know it’s a ton of pages, but within those pages the research is there.

Also the whole 17930/17950 question is Covered and shown in the 1st and second post.

Pretty much all of us who have done the vibrant resonator have posted in the thread and vouched for the first post. (It’s why it’s got so many pages now)

Short Answer - yes to fix the tone and drone order the 3” unit and have your exhaust shop that deleted the muffler and made you tail pipes weld it in with some reducers.

Or buy an OTS mid pipe with the resonator already installed.

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
First post was made off of multiple first hand experiences of the OP, the follow 100 pages are full of member with first hand experience, I know it’s a ton of pages, but within those pages the research is there.

Also the whole 17930/17950 question is Covered and shown in the 1st and second post.

Pretty much all of us who have done the vibrant resonator have posted in the thread and vouched for the first post. (It’s why it’s got so many pages now)

Short Answer - yes to fix the tone and drone order the 3” unit and have your exhaust shop that deleted the muffler and made you tail pipes weld it in with some reducers.

Or buy an OTS mid pipe with the resonator already installed.

Fair enough.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
If I have the stock DP and a Remus non resonated CBE which is 70mm is the 17950 still recommended or should I go with the 17930? And do I need new clamps?

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
@GTI Jake have you noticed any difference in sound/performance from placing the cat in the two different positions you used on your V1 versus now? I'm going to start ordering the materials to make my downpipe and I am still undecided if I want the cat close to the OEM location, or downstream after the last bend. I guess the main difference is that it will take longer to warm up and have a little better spool downstream, and better working (fume smell) and less drone by the OEM location?

Also, is the GTI turbo T3 flange, or does use a T31? I have a few left over from my previous turbo builds, a PT-T3 and a PT-T4, but no T31.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Closer to the turbo is important for smell/emissions and negligible on all other fronts.

The Gti turbo flange is proprietary, so none of those will work. It has a headifold so the runners are internal and the turbo bolts directly to the cylinder head.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Closer to the turbo is important for smell/emissions and negligible on all other fronts.

The Gti turbo flange is proprietary, so none of those will work. It has a headifold so the runners are internal and the turbo bolts directly to the cylinder head.
My bad, I was talking about the V-band. I used to get V-band instead of bolt-on housings. I think the T31 is slightly larger than the T3. The T4 is close to a 3.5, the PT can use either 3" tube welded inside or 3.5" outside.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
@GTI Jake Are you able to make the resonated center pipe that will mate to an IE downpipe so I can lose the reducer? Also I’d like the muffler side to mate to a TCR muffler. I haven’t heard this combo and may take a gamble. I think it will sound pretty good. Thanks for your time.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
@GTI Jake Are you able to make the resonated center pipe that will mate to an IE downpipe so I can lose the reducer? Also I’d like the muffler side to mate to a TCR muffler. I haven’t heard this combo and may take a gamble. I think it will sound pretty good. Thanks for your time.

Email is preferred, jlbaun26@gmail.com

But yes, & here’s a few sound clips of what you’re looking to do.