GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Email is best (that’s what any form of contact normally leads to anyway).

As for an intercooler upgrade its by far the most important supporting mod. A stage 1 car with an upgraded intercooler will beat a stage 2 car without one if it’s over 70*F outside.

If you’re hunting power and not additional sound a intercooler is definitely the next logical step for all of those reasons

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Need recommendation if possible - Jake

Depo high flow cat,
Rev9 3" exhaust with the two rear mufflers
Vibrant 17950 swapped in for rev9 res

Im good w/ everything about how it sounds except for the boominess in the usual drone zone. I can avoid said zone most of the time and sometimes it's going on and I don't even notice.

I can live with it, but maybe it can be reduced for small dollars?

Amazon had borla pro xs to try in the left rear empty area but it won't fit with the Rev 9 pipes as is so its being returned. It would fit if it was offset on same side on both ends but it seems like there is no version like that. Is that right or did I somehow miss a version.

Anything worth trying in that spot for around a hundo(ish)? Another big honkin res? Some other muffler?

I might try going to quarter wave pipe, but not sure if they can be bought ready made. I only semi understand the subject.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Need recommendation if possible - Jake

Depo high flow cat,
Rev9 3" exhaust with the two rear mufflers
Vibrant 17950 swapped in for rev9 res

Im good w/ everything about how it sounds except for the boominess in the usual drone zone. I can avoid said zone most of the time and sometimes it's going on and I don't even notice.

I can live with it, but maybe it can be reduced for small dollars?

Amazon had borla pro xs to try in the left rear empty area but it won't fit with the Rev 9 pipes as is so its being returned. It would fit if it was offset on same side on both ends but it seems like there is no version like that. Is that right or did I somehow miss a version.

Anything worth trying in that spot for around a hundo(ish)? Another big honkin res? Some other muffler?

I might try going to quarter wave pipe, but not sure if they can be bought ready made. I only semi understand the subject.

Just add the 2” or so to the Rev 9 piping so the Borla XS pro will fit.

Profit.

It’s not like you’re preserving some fine piece, have a shop make it work and you have the crown jewel of the eBay exhausts

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Just add the 2” or so to the Rev 9 piping so the Borla XS pro will fit.

Profit.

It’s not like you’re preserving some fine piece, have a shop make it work and you have the crown jewel of the eBay exhausts

Oh yeah, prototyping the new Ebay Ghetto trinity system over here.

Buuuuut... Not sure it's worth the extra hassle of taking it to a shop for this - when I don't even know if it will for sure help. When it was looking like I could just slip fit something in there myself, sure - fine, I was willing to risk the $90 bucks and couple of hours to see if it would do anything.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Oh yeah, prototyping the new Ebay Ghetto trinity system over here.

Buuuuut... Not sure it's worth the extra hassle of taking it to a shop for this - when I don't even know if it will for sure help. When it was looking like I could just slip fit something in there myself, sure - fine, I was willing to risk the $90 bucks and couple of hours to see if it would do anything.

This is my Less Aggressive CBE (paired with APR DP)

No guesswork, the 17950 and Borla XS Pro are a great pair. You’ll still have the hollow “mufflers” out back, but for what you’ll have in it all they’re adding is a few lbs anyway

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
^^^ And you really think I will be rid of, or at least have reduced boominess, with the Rev9s default mufflers also attached?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
^^^ And you really think I will be rid of, or at least have reduced boominess, with the Rev9s default mufflers also attached?

Don’t over think it, how could those mufflers add back what the 17950 and XS pro already eliminated?

At that point the remaining Rev 9 mufflers are aesthetic and maybe a insignificant drop in volume above and beyond the video I linked

npx629

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Stage 2
Hi Jake,

I have an 034 downpipe (catted), and the VW TCR exhaust. It's really loud from about 2800 to 3000ish RPM and seems to get less loud above 3500 RPM. Would the Vibrant res help in this case? There is some drone as I cruise around 2200 RPM but it's not particularly objectionable to me.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Hi Jake,

I have an 034 downpipe (catted), and the VW TCR exhaust. It's really loud from about 2800 to 3000ish RPM and seems to get less loud above 3500 RPM. Would the Vibrant res help in this case? There is some drone as I cruise around 2200 RPM but it's not particularly objectionable to me.

17950 will help a lot, but TCR and css are almost completely straight through like a muffler delete so it’ll still be on the rowdy side

npx629

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Stage 2
17950 will help a lot, but TCR and css are almost completely straight through like a muffler delete so it’ll still be on the rowdy side

Cool, thanks Jake. Since I already have the downpipe and exhaust, in order to replicate that setup, all I need is the Vibrant res, right? Your resonated midpipe is utilizing that part?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Cool, thanks Jake. Since I already have the downpipe and exhaust, in order to replicate that setup, all I need is the Vibrant res, right? Your resonated midpipe is utilizing that part?

Either way the 17950 will help, just depends if you wanna have a local shop weld it in or if you want a bolt on solution.

I can’t discuss the stuff I build here, but you can email me if you’d like jlbaun26@gmail.com

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Don’t over think it, how could those mufflers add back what the 17950 and XS pro already eliminated?

At that point the remaining Rev 9 mufflers are aesthetic and maybe a insignificant drop in volume above and beyond the video I linked

So, went and had this done. Shop I used for the vibrant res swap welded in a longer elbow for $50.

Result: Yup, you were right. It's nice and quiet now and I can accelerate lightly past 2700rpm in 6th without so much of that booming subwoofer type sound that was annoying me.

Along with all the sound deadening / insulation I did, it's just what I wanted during freeway driving. I might try disconnecting the rev9 mufflers and test drive to see what that's like. But not any time soon.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
So, went and had this done. Shop I used for the vibrant res swap welded in a longer elbow for $50.

Result: Yup, you were right. It's nice and quiet now and I can accelerate lightly past 2700rpm in 6th without so much of that booming subwoofer type sound that was annoying me.

Along with all the sound deadening / insulation I did, it's just what I wanted during freeway driving. I might try disconnecting the rev9 mufflers and test drive to see what that's like. But not any time soon.
What elbow are you referring to? I have a rev 9 and had the vibrant res swapped in and am still suffering from quite a lot of drone from about 2,500 to 3,000

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
What elbow are you referring to? I have a rev 9 and had the vibrant res swapped in and am still suffering from quite a lot of drone from about 2,500 to 3,000

The elbow in the orange is extended a few inches so a borla proxs muffler
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009RVVEV2
can be swapped in to the spot in blue, in place of whatever that useless thing is.

BTW, I also did the vibrant res swap and it really seemed like there wasn't all that much difference vs the res that comes on there. Do you notice much change before and after?
Maybe people could skip that part and just add the borla for $100whatever bucks and be happy.

Polish_20200921_195022033.jpg

Last edited: