GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I have been running the Rev9 catback with a vibrant res and downpipe, and its been drone city. I have decided to buy a Borla S Type kit to swap in and see how it sounds. I see many people have good luck with a downpipe + magnaflow setup with a vibrant res, and the borla system doesnt seem that much different. I am hoping it gives me the volume I want without the severe drone I am currently getting.

There is some minor drone on the highway, if you are lugging it in 6th gear. Borla sounds throatier than Magnaflow. Probably because of the rock wool MF uses, instead of fiberglass.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have been running the Rev9 catback with a vibrant res and downpipe, and its been drone city. I have decided to buy a Borla S Type kit to swap in and see how it sounds. I see many people have good luck with a downpipe + magnaflow setup with a vibrant res, and the borla system doesnt seem that much different. I am hoping it gives me the volume I want without the severe drone I am currently getting.

Both Borla and MF drone without a 17950.

The owners first impression was it wasn’t that bad, but after he put some miles on he was setting up an appointment for the 17950 midpipe.

In this second video featuring MF catback the owner skipped the drone phase by installing the 17950 midpipe with the downpipe.

Moral of the story is if you buy Borla or MF you’ll need to mod it, so again tripping over dollars to “save” pennies

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Both Borla and MF drone without a 17950.

The owners first impression was it wasn’t that bad, but after he put some miles on he was setting up an appointment for the 17950 midpipe.

In this second video featuring MF catback the owner skipped the drone phase by installing the 17950 midpipe with the downpipe.

Moral of the story is if you buy Borla or MF you’ll need to mod it, so again tripping over dollars to “save” pennies
I am getting the Borla for a pretty good price, so having to add a Vibrant res to kill the drone isnt a concern. I ordered it expecting to have to mod it to cut drone, but I wouldnt say that im tripping over dollars to save pennies. Instead, I'd say im saving a ton of money going with a borla vs more expensive "drone free" options, and if I need to install an 80 dollar resonator to get it sounding proper its no sweat off my back. If it doesnt work out, its all through amazon prime so I will send it back and end up where I started.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I wouldn't have the balls to send something like that back.
It’s crazy what people try to scam with amazon, I saw a video from this guy Who created and sells car audio tuning meters and he got a amazon return for a product that was $250 and when he opened the box there was a used 8 dollar harbor freight multimeter in it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just make everything a thousand bucks.

On catbacks that wouldn’t cover the materials/consumables.

My labor rate is going up approximately 30% by the first of the year just to catch me up to cover raises I’ve got at my real job over the last few years. I stay booked out over a month there’s absolutely zero excuse for selling myself short on my time.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Titanium is much harder to weld, iirc. I know that from owning a Ti bicycle. All the makers of such frame types always go on and on about how precise and masterful a welder must be.

I really want to learn to weld.

emg

Stock catback is night and day quieter than CSS, CSS is on the loud end of the volume spectrum as it’s basically a OEM muffler delete (slightly less volume than a muffler delete).

CTS is Chinese/ebay garbage...just the most expensive of all the ebay/Chinese garbage available for these cars.

A good basic rule of thumb is whatever volume increase you saw with catback mods (regardless of what they are) the effects will be doubled when you add a downpipe. That’s why people end up running six different exhaust set ups because they over or undershoot their goals several times rather than spending the money once on what they actually want.

I can’t tell you how many hundreds of people ignore my recommendations and say “I’m just gonna run _________ until I get a ___________” and they end of with a stock pile of junk spending 2-3x more money in the long run.

For those new here I started out with a muffler delete way back in December 2015, then got a junk CTS downpipe for free I immediately cut up and fixed which lead to the development of the 17950 and eventually a wealth of knowledge pertaining to what works and what doesn’t on these cars. I’m not picking on people, I’m speaking from experience
Ok, but what would you buy right now?

I bought CSS muffler for stock resonator and stock DP because there was a plan to not cross 400HP but plan has changed 🤣😁 Such a combination of exhaust give nice sound but wasn't loud. Let say maybe 20% louder than stock muffler which was orginaly. Then I ordered resonaror from CSS to try is it better with "flow", but after almost 2 month of waiting I canceled my order because there was no plan of production.

Finally after 70 pages of this theme and YT recomendation I bought 17950 with plan to change dp + cat to 3" in future and keep CSS muffler and OEM look.

That was a plan :)... was... but...right now, stock dp + 17950 + css is to loud under even small boost.

Thats why I'm looking for some option to have 3ich dp with cat and 3 inch mid part but... Something which give me effect - not much louder than stock dp + stock resonator + CSS muffler and much quiet than stock dp + 17950 + CSS.

Option of dp with cat was CTS - ok wrong way. Second option is Leyo Motorsport DP with cat... But I'm still "open" for other better option if someone has better proposirion.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I deleted my comment already because I know it’ll start a shit show. I need to raise my prices to further distance myself from people who would do that kind of thing
I guess sending the entire product back because it did not meet the customer's satisfaction is "scamming amazon" these days 😂

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I guess sending the entire product back because it did not meet the customer's satisfaction is "scamming amazon" these days 😂
If you take the same mindset and apply it to another product, it makes it more interesting:

"I really wanted four oak baseball bats, so I ordered an oak table and cut off the legs. Then after playing with them for awhile, they didn't meet my expectations, so I glued them back onto the table and am sending them back." :ROFLMAO: