GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
People give away OEM catbacks, ideally you’d want a catted downpipe, 17950 resonated midpipe and the factory suitecase muffler.

I ran that Borla back in 2016/2017 with catted downpipe and 17950, it sounded great but not stealth by any means.

Well, based on everything and especially my desire for a stealth hoon experience at Stage2 and not being able to diy weld, I think it's going to be the Rev9 setup, possibly with the vibrant res swapped in, if need be.

I listened to several sound clips and it seems plenty quiet. The price is right and I can diy it, which is pretty important - i don't have time to work around a shop's hours.

It never rains here so I don't have to worry much about rusting which I know is a big concern for some with the bargain mystery metal bits.

I guess that more or less settles it.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Not fully related to sound, but didn't feel this warranted it's own thread, so asking here since this is a active exhaust thread.

I got a new downpipe and Vibrant J spacer. What do you guys use to install the little C clip on the spacer? I bought these, but the tips are too big to fit in the clip holes to depress it. Figured I'd ask instead of buying pair after pair.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Not fully related to sound, but didn't feel this warranted it's own thread, so asking here since this is a active exhaust thread.

I got a new downpipe and Vibrant J spacer. What do you guys use to install the little C clip on the spacer? I bought these, but the tips are too big to fit in the clip holes to depress it. Figured I'd ask instead of buying pair after pair.

I went to Autozone and got something similar to this- https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...tools-snap-ring-pliers-set-4-piece/532465_0_0

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Well, based on everything and especially my desire for a stealth hoon experience at Stage2 and not being able to diy weld, I think it's going to be the Rev9 setup, possibly with the vibrant res swapped in, if need be.

I listened to several sound clips and it seems plenty quiet. The price is right and I can diy it, which is pretty important - i don't have time to work around a shop's hours.

It never rains here so I don't have to worry much about rusting which I know is a big concern for some with the bargain mystery metal bits.

I guess that more or less settles it.

You said you can’t weld or work around a shops schedule yet you’re planning to swap in a 17950? An exhaust built entirely of clamps is going to be nothing but issues.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Push one side in with your thumb, then use a small screwdriver to push the other in.

I bought snap on snap ring pliers, only after using the above method for about 50 of these spacers. For one installation there’s no reason for special tools

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
You said you can’t weld or work around a shops schedule yet you’re planning to swap in a 17950? An exhaust built entirely of clamps is going to be nothing but issues.
he already took it to a shop and had the big body vibrant welded in last week.

In regards to many clamps I agree as it’s just another area to possibly leak or loosen, but in this scenario if he did indeed cut and clamp a resonator in the system wouldn’t it just be 1 additional clamp VS say a person who bought one of your mid pipes and mated to their stock cat back?

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
he already took it to a shop and had the big body vibrant welded in last week.

In regards to many clamps I agree as it’s just another area to possibly leak or loosen, but in this scenario if he did indeed cut and clamp a resonator in the system wouldn’t it just be 1 additional clamp VS say a person who bought one of your mid pipes and mated to their stock cat back?

No, my midpipe has one additional clamp compared to the OEM catback it installs in. So a total of two, one being the connection to the downpipe.

My AWE Fitment midpipe actually eliminates a clamp and slip fit connection, so less depending on which model you’re referring to.

The Rev 9 system already has several clamps, so adding two more (one on each side of the resonator) in addition to however many it uses would be a real mess. I’m not sure why you posted this, as I never even mentioned my parts (I’m not allowed to here, not a site sponsor).

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Jake, just a reminder, let me know if you need a 7.5 to look at the axle back area and I'll schedule a spartan race down in your neck of the woods and do another Friday drive by lol

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

I did say "possibly, if need be" about the 17950, implying that a shop would have to take over that bit.

I ran for a while with the rev9 alone and had the vibrant sitting around while I considered returning it or not.

The transition from the DP to Rev9 did become a mess due to the various sizes and such. I got it put together well enough and then found a local shop to weld it up right for quite a reasonable price and figured while they were in there, might as well swap in the vibrant too.

For posterity I will say the rev9 alone does a good job and swapping the 17950 in makes a negligible difference.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Jake, just a reminder, let me know if you need a 7.5 to look at the axle back area and I'll schedule a spartan race down in your neck of the woods and do another Friday drive by lol

I’ll text you some pictures of the current project ?

My schedule changed, but I’m still available on Friday mornings

695232269@qq.com

My car has drone at low speed and rev(around 30mph and 2k rev) with stock exhaust, especially when going uphill slowly, which is very often in city driving.
My gf gets sick about it. I was even planning put on a AWE track exhaust on it, lol. Most reviews I heard is no/barely drone so.
why am I having drone even with stock, bit confused.
Any suggestions here?
thank u!

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
My car has drone at low speed and rev(around 30mph and 2k rev) with stock exhaust, especially when going uphill slowly, which is very often in city driving.
My gf gets sick about it. I was even planning put on a AWE track exhaust on it, lol. Most reviews I heard is no/barely drone so.
Any suggestions here?
thank u!
I’m assuming you’re keeping the girlfriend? If so, she’d prefer AWE Touring edition, I am sure.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Any suggestions here?
thank u!
Somethings wrong with it....weld broke or the like. stock exhaust is quiet and non-existent