GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

Jonnyr6

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
You'll gain a little power without going to stage 2 with the catless DP. But with only a resonator and no muffler it will be very loud. And smelly.
Thats what I thought. Appreciate the feedback. I might have to look for a muffler even though I just had mine cut out, heh! I really only want the dp for more raw engine exhaust noises, and also have the choice to go stage 2 whenever I'm ready.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
Sorry I will try and grab one. Need to find the time to try and do a drive by vid clip. My work has been nuts but I'll try to get to it sometime over next week or so
Circling back about this. Would love to hear what this sounds like on your car as it has some components of what I've been planning for my 6MT pre-facelift Golf R.

After weeks of reading about theories behind exhausts, talking with fabricators, and listening to 100's of setups I've finally decided on my approach.

I'm planning on doing a Frankenstein-like setup with: stock DP -> Vibrant 17950 -> BCS Helmholtz res delete -> Remus Valved suitcase muffler

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
Hi Jake Guys.

I have a 2018 MK 7.5 EVO R Line 1.5 TSI DSG. 14000 Miles.

From new this car has had a drone between the Rev Range 2200-2800 which puts me at 75 - 90 MPH 7th Gear motorway speeds.
Above and below these speeds this car sounds nice and normal but this drone ruins long journeys.

I have had a Stage 1 Remap and Fitted a KN Filter this has given this engine a nice boost in performance ans still provides
good economy But did not eliminate the drone at all.

Thought it might be wheel bearing or tires replaced tires and bearing no change it is definitely engine or exhaust related.

It seems my only option left is to try this Vibrant Resonator.

Any thoughts or advice please.

Cheers.

Last edited:

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
Hi Jake Guys.

From new this car has had a drone between the Rev Range 2200-2800 which puts me at 75 - 90 MPH 7th Gear motorway speeds.
Above and below these speeds this car sounds nice and normal but this drone ruins long journeys.

I have had a Stage 1 Remap and Fitted a KN Filter this has given this engine a nice boost in performance ans still provides

Thought it might be wheel bearing or tires replaced tires and bearing no change it is definitely engine or exhaust related.

Cheers.

Well for what its worth..

I have a 6MT, adding the 17950 to my setup eliminated virtually all drone at highspeed speeds in the 2-3K RPM range.

Took an hour long trip with my daughter and she mentioned that it was quieter as well.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Hi Jake Guys.

Cheers.

Good info (y)
Anymore thoughts guys please

You never mentioned having any aftermarket parts in your exhaust, so how can we make recommendations if we don’t know what you have?

If your exhaust is 100% factory original this thread is not for you (see original post, it will answer just about any questions regardless of what aftermarket parts you do have if that’s not the case).

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi Jake Guys.

Cheers.
You must have modified the exhaust because a new car's exhaust doesn't drone.

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
Exhaust is standard from factory.

The drone may not be as bad as some of you guys encounter after your mods but at the rev range i posted my car does develops a drone.
Will this Vibrant resonator help over the standard one, is it worth a try?

I do not know what else to try or check other than this, out of ideas now.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Exhaust is standard from factory.
Then I don't think you're hearing drone from the exhaust. It's possible but not likely the tune caused it. I see that you replaced tires but that doesn't mean the sound isn't coming from a wheel out of alignment or a bent wheel. All I can tell you is that with the stock exhaust VW doesn't sell them if the exhaust drones. Is your car still under warranty? Have you had a dealer drive it for an opinion?

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
Then I don't think you're hearing drone from the exhaust. It's possible but not likely the tune caused it. I see that you replaced tires but that doesn't mean the sound isn't coming from a wheel out of alignment or a bent wheel. All I can tell you is that with the stock exhaust VW doesn't sell them if the exhaust drones. Is your car still under warranty? Have you had a dealer drive it for an opinion?

I just realized he has a 1.5 TSI motor. Not sure if theres something specific about that engine that may produce more "drone" than our 2.0's would?

Either way, I never noticed even the slightest bit of drone with the factory GTI exhaust. Basically couldn't hear it from inside the car at all, at any point.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I just realized he has a 1.5 TSI motor. Not sure if theres something specific about that engine that may produce more "drone" than our 2.0's would?

Either way, I never noticed even the slightest bit of drone with the factory GTI exhaust. Basically couldn't hear it from inside the car at all, at any point.
Engines don't produce drone.

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
i have changed all 4 wheels with a friends Golf and drone still present.
Wheel alignment has been checked also.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
Engines don't produce drone.

Where do you think the sound comes from? Exhausts don't just produce noise on their own :p I imagine the sound harmonics/frequency is different coming from the 1.5, so if the exhaust system is truly the same, that smaller engine could be producing a frequency that isn't as easily suppressed at a given speed/RPM perhaps.. that was my thinking.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Where do you think the sound comes from? Exhausts don't just produce noise on their own :p I imagine the sound harmonics/frequency is different coming from the 1.5, so if the exhaust system is truly the same, that smaller engine could be producing a frequency that isn't as easily suppressed at a given speed/RPM perhaps.. that was my thinking.
Do you think VW would sell cars with droning exhaust to the public?

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
narrowed drone down to exhaust or engine or a combination of both maybe.