GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Ok, but what would you buy right now?

I bought CSS muffler for stock resonator and stock DP because there was a plan to not cross 400HP but plan has changed šŸ¤£šŸ˜ Such a combination of exhaust give nice sound but wasn't loud. Let say maybe 20% louder than stock muffler which was orginaly. Then I ordered resonaror from CSS to try is it better with "flow", but after almost 2 month of waiting I canceled my order because there was no plan of production.

Finally after 70 pages of this theme and YT recomendation I bought 17950 with plan to change dp + cat to 3" in future and keep CSS muffler and OEM look.

That was a plan :)... was... but...right now, stock dp + 17950 + css is to loud under even small boost.

Thats why I'm looking for some option to have 3ich dp with cat and 3 inch mid part but... Something which give me effect - not much louder than stock dp + stock resonator + CSS muffler and much quiet than stock dp + 17950 + CSS.

Option of dp with cat was CTS - ok wrong way. Second option is Leyo Motorsport DP with cat... But I'm still "open" for other better option if someone has better proposirion.

I canā€™t give my recommendation here as Iā€™m not a site sponsor, but you can shoot me an email if youā€™d like.

jlbaun26@gmail.com

Reactions: emg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I guess sending the entire product back because it did not meet the customer's satisfaction is "scamming amazon" these days šŸ˜‚

Using something then sending it back isnā€™t returning it.

Thatā€™s like buying a SUV to drive on vacation, then giving it back after the trip because your gti is better suited for daily driving

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I guess sending the entire product back because it did not meet the customer's satisfaction is "scamming amazon" these days šŸ˜‚

I just sent back some legal pads because I ordered the wrong size but it fit in the small box that it came in and costs $15 and it wasn't covered in soot. If an exhaust didn't fit that's a different situation but to just be dissatisfied means you didn't do your homework very good. That's abusive IMO and if a lot of people did that it would raise prices for all.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Installed the Borla, it sounds like a broken tractor (which I expected). The weird thing is how despite this sytem being a shit ton louder than the Rev9 catback, the drone is nothing compared to the Rev9 system. It does sound very echoey inside the pipes though vs the nice clean bass tone of the Rev9 catback. I am hoping the 17930 res will clean up the sound enough to make it driveable. I really wish the Rev9 system wouldnt have had so much drone, it would be perfect otherwise.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Installed the Borla, it sounds like a broken tractor (which I expected). The weird thing is how despite this sytem being a shit ton louder than the Rev9 catback, the drone is nothing compared to the Rev9 system. It does sound very echoey inside the pipes though vs the nice clean bass tone of the Rev9 catback. I am hoping the 17930 res will clean up the sound enough to make it driveable. I really wish the Rev9 system wouldnt have had so much drone, it would be perfect otherwise.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could mate the Rev9 tail section to the Borla catback.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Any opinion on the 17930 vs Ultra Quiet for refining the tone of the system?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
UQ will only lower volume slightly, the 17950 takes care of drone.

17930 is 2.5ā€, which is smaller than OEM 2.6ā€...Iā€™m guessing he got the old 2.5ā€ Borla system.

Funny enough, while the exhaust is ungodly loud, it doesnt drone (at least nothing like the quieter Rev9 system I was running). My main goal is to tame and smooth out the sound a bit, and if it gets a little quieter I wouldnt mind. Would the 17930 (I did get the 2.5" system) still be the best choice for this job vs the ultra quiet?

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Funny enough, while the exhaust is ungodly loud, it doesnt drone (at least nothing like the quieter Rev9 system I was running). My main goal is to tame and smooth out the sound a bit, and if it gets a little quieter I wouldnt mind. Would the 17930 (I did get the 2.5" system) still be the best choice for this job vs the ultra quiet?

Absolutely

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Installed the 17930 today in the Borla system. This system now sounds exactly how I wanted it to after months of figuring stuff out. There is absolutely no drone (there wasnt any before the resonator though), but the sound quality is just how I wanted it. The tractory echo sounds of the borla are all gone, and a nice deep grumble is all thats left. When driving around it stays quiet from inside the cabin, and tasteful on the outside. You can tell the car has an exhaust system but thats as far as it goes. That all changes once on the gas though, this thing sounds as good as I ever expected a turbo 4 banger to sound. No harsh rasp, just clean clear exhaust notes. Very happy.

aedwin191

Passed Driver's Ed
Spent the morning reading most of this thread. Props to GTI Jake for all the time he has dedicated here. I was looking to see if this thread had the answer to a question I had, and I may have overlooked it as I skimmed the back half of the thread, so my apologies if this question was already answered. I just ordered a Vibrant 17930, and I have been running a catless dp for almost 3 years now. Starting to get tired of the drone that everyone has discussed from around 2.5-3k so I'm excited to know the 17930 will get rid of that.

What I was looking to do, however, was to add a cutout to the section of piping that curves around the fuel tank, where some aftermarket catbacks have a muffler. There is still heat shield in that area, so I'm thinking this would be the best place for it. I was curious what sound I might expect from this cutout? Of course I'm sure it'll be quite loud, but I'm a young guy and would like to have that option for when I'm going on a spirited drive etc. But I'm curious what difference the 17930 would have on this cutout comparably to something like an open downpipe. If anyone has this kind of setup or some sort of insight that is more informed than mine I would greatly appreciate it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Spent the morning reading most of this thread. Props to GTI Jake for all the time he has dedicated here. I was looking to see if this thread had the answer to a question I had, and I may have overlooked it as I skimmed the back half of the thread, so my apologies if this question was already answered. I just ordered a Vibrant 17930, and I have been running a catless dp for almost 3 years now. Starting to get tired of the drone that everyone has discussed from around 2.5-3k so I'm excited to know the 17930 will get rid of that.

What I was looking to do, however, was to add a cutout to the section of piping that curves around the fuel tank, where some aftermarket catbacks have a muffler. There is still heat shield in that area, so I'm thinking this would be the best place for it. I was curious what sound I might expect from this cutout? Of course I'm sure it'll be quite loud, but I'm a young guy and would like to have that option for when I'm going on a spirited drive etc. But I'm curious what difference the 17930 would have on this cutout comparably to something like an open downpipe. If anyone has this kind of setup or some sort of insight that is more informed than mine I would greatly appreciate it.

Cancel that order, then buy a 17950. Assuming you can weld or know someone you trust with your car (muffler shops are overwhelmingly hack jobs).

The most important information in this thread is the original post on page 1.

Itā€™ll sound awful in the car but loud/aggressive outside of you do a valve/open dump like youā€™re talking about. Any time exhaust dumps under the car itā€™ll cause ridiculous cabin noise from the sound bouncing off the ground back up against the bottom of the car

aedwin191

Passed Driver's Ed
Cancel that order, then buy a 17950. Assuming you can weld or know someone you trust with your car (muffler shops are overwhelmingly hack jobs).

The most important information in this thread is the original post on page 1.

Itā€™ll sound awful in the car but loud/aggressive outside of you do a valve/open dump like youā€™re talking about. Any time exhaust dumps under the car itā€™ll cause ridiculous cabin noise from the sound bouncing off the ground back up against the bottom of the car

Good to know. Thanks for the quick reply. The reason I bought the 17930 is because my mid pipe is part of the stock cat back 2.5 inch piping. Isnā€™t the 17950 3 inch piping?

edit: just read your first page thread that says the 2.5 inch resonator does not slip over the stock piping. I will shoot for the 17950. Is there any difference in sound between these two resonators? I would assume the 3 inch piping would make for a slightly louder exhaust noise?