GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yes it is. Sounds pretty good though and just has a nice, not loud sound at steady cruising.
Here’s a vid of the god awful sound that my car made for the couple days it was catless and res-less... and this was with two rear mufflers too!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Here’s a vid of the god awful sound that my car made for the couple days it was catless and res-less... and this was with two rear mufflers too!

Fortunately mine doesn't sound like that. What did you end up doing? Mine has a much deeper tone.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Fortunately mine doesn't sound like that. What did you end up doing? Mine has a much deeper tone.
Car has a cat and vibrant resonator, still not what one would call quiet but no where as horrendous. Do you have any outside audio clips of your car? It’s very different from inside for sure. Maybe you can get some during the dyno session soon.

Coryvmcs1

Car(s)
2017 GTI sport
@GTI Jake so since I have apr dp 3 inch to 2.5 do I need to have the old resonator cut out and the 18 inch vibrant it in place of it in same location? Also would I need to go with the 3 inch ?

emg

After 1 months with 17950 I can put few words.

My setup is Stock dp + stock kat + 17950 VB + Clubsport S (muffler).

When you travel below 70mph and ride without "boost" it's OK. Nice sound, little bass from exhaust but.... if you use even press a little bit pedal (gas) or you ride between 2200-3300 RPM and use gas to ride faster (even small boost 3-5psi) exhaust is very loud. The same if you go to highway and cross 80mph it's to loud and you hear only bothersome sound. There is almost no drone but the volume is not for daily use out of the city.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
After 1 months with 17950 I can put few words.

My setup is Stock dp + stock kat + 17950 VB + Clubsport S (muffler).

When you travel below 70mph and ride without "boost" it's OK. Nice sound, little bass from exhaust but.... if you use even press a little bit pedal (gas) or you ride between 2200-3300 RPM and use gas to ride faster (even small boost 3-5psi) exhaust is very loud. The same if you go to highway and cross 80mph it's to loud and you hear only bothersome sound. There is almost no drone but the volume is not for daily use out of the city.

Theres only two ways to explain your experience.

A: Part of the exhaust is touching under the car, making a ton of interior noise as a result.

B: You have an extremely low noise tolerance, because a CSS muffler used even without the 17950 is mild in the spectrum of available options for these cars (it is an OEM part that comes from the factory ROW, and those cars have one less cat and therefore are notably louder).

Either way your results are not typical by and stretch of the term. Not posting this to put you down in any way, just avoiding later confusion by readers of this thread.

emg

Theres only two ways to explain your experience.

A: Part of the exhaust is touching under the car, making a ton of interior noise as a result.

B: You have an extremely low noise tolerance, because a CSS muffler used even without the 17950 is mild in the spectrum of available options for these cars (it is an OEM part that comes from the factory ROW, and those cars have one less cat and therefore are notably louder).

Either way your results are not typical by and stretch of the term. Not posting this to put you down in any way, just avoiding later confusion by readers of this thread.
regarding "A" - I will check it again - but i do not see any place when is possible to "touch" any sugestion?
regarding "B" - it`s not a question about "tolerance"- I measured noise in side of the car and it`s 80dB.
17950 is placed where orginal resonator was placed.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
regarding "A" - I will check it again - but i do not see any place when is possible to "touch" any sugestion?
regarding "B" - it`s not a question about "tolerance"- I measured noise in side of the car and it`s 80dB.
17950 is placed where orginal resonator was placed.

Without seeing it in person no, but generally any gap you can’t fit your finger between the exhaust and any stationary objects can rattle with driveline movement.

Ive never measure cabin dB, but 80 seems extremely excessive even for the entire catback simply removed with the factory downpipe in place.

Don’t shoot the messenger, but something is WAY out of the normal

Reactions: emg

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Got talking with a local exhaust manufacturer and will test fitting their MK7 system for the facelifted MK7 with slighter wider exhaust tips to accommodate the revised valence.

Excited to hear how the system sounds with the Helmholtz resonator.

mbrp-mk7.png

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
I ordered a CTS catted DP.

I'm aware that my setup is gonna be very loud. Looking into a resonator incase I don't like the rasp/ "civic" sound.

I was wondering what type of resonator would be best, Vibrant 17930 or 17950? 100$ budget. (Mid-pipe is 2.5'' atm)

On Page 1 Jake recommends the 3inch Vibrant. How would that work when installing onto a 2.5 pipe?? Any clamps?
SETUP:
CTS CATTED DP + RES DELETE + CSS MUFFLER

Thank you.

Last edited:

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I ordered a CTS catted DP.

I'm aware that my setup is gonna be very loud. Looking into a resonator incase I don't like the rasp/ "civic" sound.

I was wondering what type of resonator would be best, Vibrant 17930 or 17950? 100$ budget. (Mid-pipe is 2.5'' atm)

On Page 1 Jake recommends the 3inch Vibrant. How would that work when installing onto a 2.5 pipe?? Any clamps?
SETUP:
CTS CATTED DP + RES DELETE + CSS MUFFLER

Thank you.
Ideally you'd want two reducers on the 17950 welded to the res delete you have. Then if you ever go 3" just chop the reducers off and you don't have to get a whole new resonator, or go backwards.