GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

19GTI

Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
yeah i was thinking do the suitcase delete but figured mine as well just get the rev9, glad i didn't do the suitcase, would have been money wasted. I am the same exact way, idn how loud it is outside, just the humming inside is the worse, gives you a headache. Mine isn't bad now, but I might put the vibrant in and see how it goes

Man I wish I could go back in time and just get a rev9. Oh well. You live and you learn.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I've got the Rev9 exhaust, with 17950 resonator attached to the depo racing catted DP.

The sound of the dp when attached to the stock CB w/muffler delete was completely heinous.

The sound now is good, however there's more vibration in the car than I would like, and some minor drone at the usual rpm range. It's not horrible but I really wanted the least noticeable experience possible for Stage 2. Interestingly, the difference before and after swapping Rev9's resonator for the 17950 was almost nothing, imo.

I've been mulling over the idea of trying a different DP, like the one from IE on the theory that the extra weight and material from it being cast plus its flex pipe (no flex on the depo) might help things. But if it doesn't make a big difference, which I can't know until after I install it, then it's an $800 waste. If it does make a big difference, then I only wasted the $340 the depo pipe costs. Though I could always pull the IE pipe back out and sell it for $500 I suppose.

The other part of me says I can live with it and if I want to throw another $800 in at this point, then that might as well go towards Stage 3 new turbski.

WHAT TO DO...

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I've got the Rev9 exhaust, with 17950 resonator attached to the depo racing catted DP.

The sound of the dp when attached to the stock CB w/muffler delete was completely heinous.

The sound now is good, however there's more vibration in the car than I would like, and some minor drone at the usual rpm range. It's not horrible but I really wanted the least noticeable experience possible for Stage 2. Interestingly, the difference before and after swapping Rev9's resonator for the 17950 was almost nothing, imo.

I've been mulling over the idea of trying a different DP, like the one from IE on the theory that the extra weight and material from it being cast plus its flex pipe (no flex on the depo) might help things. But if it doesn't make a big difference, which I can't know until after I install it, then it's an $800 waste. If it does make a big difference, then I only wasted the $340 the depo pipe costs. Though I could always pull the IE pipe back out and sell it for $500 I suppose.

The other part of me says I can live with it and if I want to throw another $800 in at this point, then that might as well go towards Stage 3 new turbski.

WHAT TO DO...

I had the same experience. Swapping the Rev9 resonator for the 17950 lowered some of the drone's intensity and killed the higher RPM drone I was having, but betweek 2.5k to 3.5k there is still drone. I used a spectrum analyzer app and saw the peak was around 105hz, but I will take a recording and look at it on my PC with audacity to see the true loudest frequency. The best way to solve this that I have found is to have a quarter wave tube made for the frequency you have an issue with. I literally only have a problem from exactly when I hit 2.5k till the second it hits 3.5k, outside of that I just hear nice mean exhaust sounds.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I had the same experience. Swapping the Rev9 resonator for the 17950 lowered some of the drone's intensity and killed the higher RPM drone I was having, but betweek 2.5k to 3.5k there is still drone. I used a spectrum analyzer app and saw the peak was around 105hz, but I will take a recording and look at it on my PC with audacity to see the true loudest frequency. The best way to solve this that I have found is to have a quarter wave tube made for the frequency you have an issue with. I literally only have a problem from exactly when I hit 2.5k till the second it hits 3.5k, outside of that I just hear nice mean exhaust sounds.

How much does having one of those things made cost? I saw a few posts about them but I don't recall seeing any prices.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
How much does having one of those things made cost? I saw a few posts about them but I don't recall seeing any prices.
The best shop in my town known for their extreme craftsmanship (thus higher priced) said it would be around $100 to $150 if I want it made out of stainless. Obviously you can get it cheaper if you use standard exhaust tubing.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

WHAT TO DO...

If you think it drones now wait till you go with a bigger turbo, it’s a drastic difference.

All of these Rev9 reviews just confirm the mufflers on that exhaust do next to nothing , because as stated from page 1 the Vibrant 17950 cannot defeat drone by itself. You also need a proper muffler to be drone free.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
If you think it drones now wait till you go with a bigger turbo, it’s a drastic difference.

All of these Rev9 reviews just confirm the mufflers on that exhaust do next to nothing , because as stated from page 1 the Vibrant 17950 cannot defeat drone by itself. You also need a proper muffler to be drone free.
I would think Rev9 has more muffler, than the awe setup, if you look awe just has 1 small box and the rest is a straight pipe. I never rode in the AWE cb so im not sure but I would think it drones more

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I would think Rev9 has more muffler, than the awe setup, if you look awe just has 1 small box and the rest is a straight pipe. I never rode in the AWE cb so im not sure but I would think it drones more
The awe box is actually pretty large, plus the internal packing Plays a bigger role than just the overall external size.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

Yeah... I’m pretty sure my smaller length dual xr1s are easily part the culprit cause with my hybrid and the vibrant, it’s still got noticeable Drone from 2200 to 3800(not crazy)

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
yeah i mean my drone is tolerable, not crazy but like idn for 300$ I still stand by the rev9 well well worth it. But sound is subjective, some might go crazy and hate 1 sound vs another, but all other systems are 2x the price and i dont think its that bad. I can take another sound clip, still wanna do the dynamat or Noico install

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I have a catless DP no muffler and just the Vibrant resonator and have no drone with a TPC20 turbo.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You’re the first I’ve heard say that, but it’s subjective so anything is possible.

I’m sure it sounds absolutely vicious at WOT!

It is pretty loud. Not too loud for me but it draws attention from the wrong people. Cops.