GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
As mentioned before the 17950 can’t do it all on it’s own.

The dual mufflers must not have any packing in them at all if it’s that bad. I’d either swap them out, add a cat, or both

The mufflers are definitely packed. Should the system not be droning badly with the 17950? I know there will still be a touch of drone, but I didn't expect it to still be loud enough to drill into my head. I am looking into the quarter wave tube as a way to kill this drone, cause the sound is amazing once the drone is gone.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The mufflers are definitely packed. Should the system not be droning badly with the 17950? I know there will still be a touch of drone, but I didn't expect it to still be loud enough to drill into my head. I am looking into the quarter wave tube as a way to kill this drone, cause the sound is amazing once the drone is gone.

I've used the 17950 on about 200 builds now with not one single report of drone. I realize sound is subjective, but no it shouldn't be as you're describing it at all.

Hopefully the quarter wave works for you, I would've built one by now but there's never been a reason to

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
17950 will deepen the tone and knock the volume down slightly. Email me if you’d like more details on that

It actually makes a pretty drastic difference thanks to the internal design

Email me if you have questions, I’m not 100% sure what you’re asking but id be happy to help

As mentioned before the 17950 can’t do it all on it’s own.

The dual mufflers must not have any packing in them at all if it’s that bad. I’d either swap them out, add a cat, or both

Didn't notice any difference in the sound on mine it just eliminated the drone.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Didn't notice any difference in the sound on mine it just eliminated the drone.

Sound is always subjective, but most notice it deepens the tone.

Recently my left ear has been ringing and degraded pretty significantly so that's made my perception completely different as I'm basically hearing everything from my right ear exclusively (which sucks). I originally had issues with it back in 2015 and after 8 months or so it seemed to fix itself. Hoping that's the case again this time because developing future products will be hard if it remains like this.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Sound is always subjective, but most notice it deepens the tone.

Recently my left ear has been ringing and degraded pretty significantly so that's made my perception completely different as I'm basically hearing everything from my right ear exclusively (which sucks). I originally had issues with it back in 2015 and after 8 months or so it seemed to fix itself. Hoping that's the case again this time because developing future products will be hard if it remains like this.
This could help: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-omnimic-v2-acoustic-measurement-system--390-792

I use it for speaker design, it's very easy to use.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
Just wanted to check back in after a few weeks of letting everything settle in (or let my ears get used to the sound).

Even with my hack-job clamp install of the 17950 to my AWE Track exhaust, I have to say the resonator does a great job! Drone is cut out almost entirely. The exhaust, as a system, maybe be a touch louder than I was bargaining for, but I’m much happier with the 17950 in there!

Overview of my exhaust journey

1. Stock downpipe + AWE Track exhaust: pretty happy. A little loud at 2k and 4K RPM
2. IE downpipe + AWE Track exhaust: hard pass after one drive
3. IE downpipe + OEM exhaust: I actually really like this set up. A little higher pitch than I wanted and one of my exhaust tips is weirdly droopy
4. IE downpipe + AWE Track, round 2: Lasted a few days. Fun for a little, loud and droney though.
5. IE downpipe + Vibrant 17950 clamped onto AWE exhaust: a little loud for me personally at times, but minimal drone and it sounds pretty good!

From quietest to loudest. No surprises here haha:
1. Stock
2. IE dp + stock catback
3. IE dp + 17950 resonator and Track exhaust
4. IE dp + AWE Track

19GTI

Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
To sum up what I've read, if I get a muffler and resonator delete, everything else is stock, and can't stand the drone, get a Vibrant 17950 put in?

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
To sum up what I've read, if I get a muffler and resonator delete, everything else is stock, and can't stand the drone, get a Vibrant 17950 put in?
honestly this might sound crazy, maybe jake could explain the physics behind it, but i did the resonator delete on OEM catback and there was like no drone. This was with catted CTS dp. After I installed the Rev9 CB, there was a bunch of drone from 2500-3000, I got custom hangers from a shop for clearance and now there is no rattles and less drone.

But i really wasn't expecting more drone from the rev9 CB as it has 2 resonators vs OEM no res the whole middle of it.

My thought would be it has something to do with it being 3" vs 2.5", multiple clamps, and louder.

After the shop worked on the car, I really like the setup i'm running but sound is subjective as other said, drone to one may not be bad and another huge headache.

Edit: where im at, i think im just going to add some of that sound stuff to rear seats and spare tire location and call it a day

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I saw a setup on facebook where the guy claimed he has no drone, but the video sounded pretty damn good and decently loud. Louder than the Rev9CB which is honestly surprisingly quiet for me. He had a downpipe, stock resonator, then installed a vibrant 17930 after the stock resonator, then deleted the rear suitcase muffler. The sound wasnt as deep as the Rev9 (maybe just the audio recording was shit) but it was definitely loud enough and sounded good. If that setup really doesnt give any drone, I might need to consider it. From what I have been experiencing, the rev9 system isnt much louder that the stock catback with a downpipe. Its just more boomy.

19GTI

Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
honestly this might sound crazy, maybe jake could explain the physics behind it, but i did the resonator delete on OEM catback and there was like no drone. This was with catted CTS dp. After I installed the Rev9 CB, there was a bunch of drone from 2500-3000, I got custom hangers from a shop for clearance and now there is no rattles and less drone.

But i really wasn't expecting more drone from the rev9 CB as it has 2 resonators vs OEM no res the whole middle of it.

My thought would be it has something to do with it being 3" vs 2.5", multiple clamps, and louder.

I did a resonator delete initially, completely stock otherwise, and no difference in sound. Did a muffler delete as well and the drone is just atrocious. Maybe I'm just not use to a loud exhaust. I don't care how loud it is on the outside I just don't want a hum going on in my car. Jake told me if I still have a stock downpipe that I shouldn't have any drone but I'm finding that not to be true. I already ordered the vibrant resonator. We'll see how it goes.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I did a resonator delete initially, completely stock otherwise, and no difference in sound. Did a muffler delete as well and the drone is just atrocious. Maybe I'm just not use to a loud exhaust. I don't care how loud it is on the outside I just don't want a hum going on in my car. Jake told me if I still have a stock downpipe that I shouldn't have any drone but I'm finding that not to be true. I already ordered the vibrant resonator. We'll see how it goes.
yeah i was thinking do the suitcase delete but figured mine as well just get the rev9, glad i didn't do the suitcase, would have been money wasted. I am the same exact way, idn how loud it is outside, just the humming inside is the worse, gives you a headache. Mine isn't bad now, but I might put the vibrant in and see how it goes