GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
Figured I would chime in, just had the vibrant 17950 swapped in. Got the midpipe slightly used and in great condition. FWIW I liked the sound of the stock resonator and IE downpipe. Very little drone but it was there around 80mph, I don't drive cruise that fast usually because NY but actually decided on the midpipe because the stock resonator didn't have enough clearance for my liking between itself and my unibrace UBQ.

They would rattle together on some start ups and idling and introduce a lot of NVH. I had some issues getting the stock clamp off when I did my downpipe and I think my exhaust was hanging a little lower than normal because i kept shaking it to get it loose. Either way I wanted the extra clearance from the bottle style resonator vs the stock triangle and figured it wouldn't hurt to install the midpipe.

The exhaust is now complete and I've driven with it a little. The little bit of drone is gone and the exhaust is overall much quieter. I would say it's a little deeper and louder than stock but if you didn't know it was modified you would probably think its stock. Honestly I am happier with this set up since I do more cruising than anything else and the car is now more of a sleeper and attracts less attention.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I recently finished setting up my exhaust system and need some advice. Orginally I had a catless downpipe going to the stock catback and I had minimal drone. If any was there I barely noticed. I now installed a Rev9 catback in addition to the downpipe and drone is horrible. The entire car vibrates and the low bass tone fills the air around you, getting in your head. This drone was worst at 2.5k to 3k rpm, but there was also drone pretty much everywhere in the rev range until you get past 4.5k. This prompted me to install a Vibrant 17950 in place of the first Rev9 res, after the downpipe. This seemed to help some of the drone, mainly outside of the 2.5-3k rpm range, however theres still some pretty brutal brain-rattling drone right in that range as well as a touch of it down lower near idle as you decelerate.

The vibrant res is sitting near the rear of the exhaust tunnel, and the entire system is held together with clamps. I was told by someone that clamping the system vs welding it can be a root cause of the drone, but that doesn't make sense to me if all the clamps are tight and sealing. Perhaps that in combination with moving the cat closer to the downpipe will help, but I really dont know what to do at this point. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Invidia catless DP and Magniflow cat back with only a Vibrant resonator and no drone.

adgainai95

Car(s)
Golf R wagon
I read 74 pages from last week, I have a R wagon and a catted downpipe atm. I am thinking replace the suitcase resonator to 17950, and those two huge mufflers to 1111 muffler(3inch inlet with dual 2.5inch outlet) with oem valve welded on one of the outlet pipe.

I found some photo on internet, should i place the 17950 where the just close to the cat or in the rear section of the midpipe? Thank you in advance

My mate has 1142 in the middle and dual 1102 in the rear and it sound quite nice.

Attachments

• catback5.jpg
    catback5.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 216
  • catback4.jpg
    catback4.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 230

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The FWD position would be my placement choice for the 17950, and a Borla Pro XS in the further back one (offset outlet makes the turn past the diff easier)

endsz

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Quick question after reading 74 pages... my shop recommended the Vibrant 1792. Have a APR DP to a stock system. Was looking for a little bit more of a sound with out going to cat back.

Whats the difference between the Vibrant 1792 to the 17950 & 17930 models?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Quick question after reading 74 pages... my shop recommended the Vibrant 1792. Have a APR DP to a stock system. Was looking for a little bit more of a sound with out going to cat back.

Whats the difference between the Vibrant 1792 to the 17950 & 17930 models?

None of them will do what you’re looking for

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Perhaps comparing it to a cat back was the wrong choice of words. Not looking to add volume, just deepen the tone by a small margin. Is not that a result from people installing these?

People install a resonator to cancel drone. They are straight through so they won't change the sound much at all.

mayhem_j30

Passed Driver's Ed
Note: Picture stolen from another member here since it's exactly the same setup as mine.

This is an UR catted & resonated DP. Can anyone identify the resonator UR uses? The DP is great and sounds completely stock. However after 2 years I want a little more sound and looking how to get a quality sound without replacing the DP if possible. Sounds like the resonator is key to this puzzle. Interested in more Jake products if this could work.

Attachments

• IMG_1801 (002).jpg
    IMG_1801 (002).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 197

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I installed a Rev9 catback with the dual mufflers and a rev9 downpipe, and drone is horrible. I installed a Vibrant 17950 res and the drone at 2.5k to 3k is still pretty brutal, also when cruising around 85mph. What else can I do to kill this drone? Catted downpipe, special resonators, anything?

Note: Picture stolen from another member here since it's exactly the same setup as mine.

This is an UR catted & resonated DP. Can anyone identify the resonator UR uses? The DP is great and sounds completely stock. However after 2 years I want a little more sound and looking how to get a quality sound without replacing the DP if possible. Sounds like the resonator is key to this puzzle. Interested in more Jake products if this could work.

I am actually trying to buy that from the classifieds, the guy wont respond though.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I installed a Rev9 catback with the dual mufflers and a rev9 downpipe, and drone is horrible. I installed a Vibrant 17950 res and the drone at 2.5k to 3k is still pretty brutal, also when cruising around 85mph. What else can I do to kill this drone? Catted downpipe, special resonators, anything?
1/4 wave resonator, there were details posted here a few days ago.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Perhaps comparing it to a cat back was the wrong choice of words. Not looking to add volume, just deepen the tone by a small margin. Is not that a result from people installing these?

17950 will deepen the tone and knock the volume down slightly. Email me if you’d like more details on that

People install a resonator to cancel drone. They are straight through so they won't change the sound much at all.

It actually makes a pretty drastic difference thanks to the internal design

Email me if you have questions, I’m not 100% sure what you’re asking but id be happy to help

I am actually trying to buy that from the classifieds, the guy wont respond though.

As mentioned before the 17950 can’t do it all on it’s own.

The dual mufflers must not have any packing in them at all if it’s that bad. I’d either swap them out, add a cat, or both