GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Seems like no one has any experience with the Cobb turboback? I remember I had just the Cobb downpipe paired with the stock catback and I think it didn't have that much drone. I added the cobb catback the next day (UPS only delivered downpipe) and I remember the drone dramatically increasing. I've had this cobb turboback for a couple of months now.

Should I put my stock catback on to see the difference? I don't think I'd want to cut up my cobb catback.

Thanks

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cobbtuning-parts/mk7-gti-3-turbo-back-exhaust-system/vlk00200tb~cob/

This one? I can build you a 17950 midpipe to bolt on if you’d like. Would just need you to take a measurement and it would simply replace that resonated midpipe they’re using (looks like 4” body vs the 17950 is 5”)

Sesameopen1

Yes that's the one I currently have. That seems very interesting. I'll probably keep it like this for now but if I ever need anything I'll come to you!

Huh. My quote isn't working

Last edited:

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
It’s probably 50/50 that he’s more aware of drone than most/the css muffler is basically a OEM muffler delete

Second part is correct. Remus axleback is much quieter and reduces drone a bit.

Also, there’s no way the UQ drastically reduced volume. Not a chance. So idk where you’re getting these parts but my only logical explanation is that none of these Vibrant parts are genuine & or the correct part number

I’ve never had a UQ, I don’t see where I said I have run anything beside a Vibrant 1119 (muffler) and Vibrant 17950 (resonator). Suggestion that I am using counterfeit parts is rather insulting.

You could try the magneflow I run in my signature, in place of the resonator. I don't have any drone and it is very quiet with the stock muffler. Most people would probably want a CSS or something more open behind it, but I like quiet.

You do seem more sensitive than most though, as like Jake has said many many users have had a positive drone reducing experience with the 17950.

I’m wondering if it’s the IE dp inducing low frequency drone from the thick cast inlet. Other loud droney GTIs I’ve experienced drone around 120-135Hz vs my 93Hz.

It’s frustrating cuz I’ve experienced several stage 2 cars that are loud but do not drone. For ie: neuspeed catted dp + resonator delete + stock R muffler sounds pretty damn perfect.

adnanhossain997

Hey guys. So right now I have just a muffler delete and the sound is perfect for me. I have purchased a CTS Catless Downpipe now and I know the sound will get very loud and bad now. I have the stock resonator still on and I have a vibrant 17930 on the way. How will it sound ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Hey guys. So right now I have just a muffler delete and the sound is perfect for me. I have purchased a CTS Catless Downpipe now and I know the sound will get very loud and bad now. I have the stock resonator still on and I have a vibrant 17930 on the way. How will it sound ?

Loud, but in a good way. Not like a diesel Kubota

adnanhossain997

Would it be possible to have the stock resonator in place and then add the vibrant as well? Would that help?

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Gti jake have you tried different cat's while trying to get the sound you want? Does 200 vs 400 cell make a noticeable difference??

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Would it be possible to have the stock resonator in place and then add the vibrant as well? Would that help?

No, don’t attempt that. Where the vibrant 17950 is located is almost as important as using one. The OEM resonator belongs in the scrap yard lol

FYI I build/sell a bolt on solution for this.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45633

Gti jake have you tried different cat's while trying to get the sound you want? Does 200 vs 400 cell make a noticeable difference??

No. No need.

Plus, the whole point of a downpipe is to make more powerby reducing restrictions.

200 cell is high flow enough to have negligible effects on performance yet still clean well enough to keep smell to a minimum.

I have had zero issue getting the sound I want, regardless of what downpipe is in place (OEM, catless, catted)

jmacGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Can someone assist me in my decision on what mods to do to my exhaust. I can’t decide between getting a full new exhaust system, getting a (stock) resonator delete and Club Sport S muffler (Or another muffler) or getting a downpipe?

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
I am intrigued by your setup and have few questions:

1. What do you mean you had an ultra quiet in place of the 1792? The ultra quiet is the 1141/1142, I don't see you mentioning this.
2. When you added the 1792 to your 17930 setup, did it further reduce volume, or simply eliminate drone?

My biggest issue with the 17950 is that it hasn't done what this thread has promised it will do, which is lower the drone.

2M and is a 93Hz drone that lasts for about 300RPMs in an RPM range I frequently find myself in.A

Yes, I had the 1141 right after the cat with the the 17930 in the OEM location. It's the only place it'll fit. The exhaust was quiet to the point where I wanted more noise, dare I say it was ultra quiet...

So I removed the 1141 for a month but hated that the drone was back. Added in the 1792 and it cut the drone the 17930 alone couldn't. More volume than the 1141. The end result is definitely more refined than just the 17930

Different size resonators will cancel different frequencies, this is why many luxury cars come with more than 1 style resonator.

Idk what to say because nothing you’ve experienced matches my experiences or the other hundred or so people running the 17950 at all.

Also, there’s no way the UQ drastically reduced volume. Not a chance. So idk where you’re getting these parts but my only logical explanation is that none of these Vibrant parts are genuine & or the correct part number

Our parts worked, but your's didn't. I purchased directly from Vibrant. So according to your logic, you should check with your supplier.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yes, I had the 1141 right after the cat with the the 17930 in the OEM location. It's the only place it'll fit. The exhaust was quiet to the point where I wanted more noise, dare I say it was ultra quiet...

So I removed the 1141 for a month but hated that the drone was back. Added in the 1792 and it cut the drone the 17930 alone couldn't. More volume than the 1141. The end result is definitely more refined than just the 17930

Different size resonators will cancel different frequencies, this is why many luxury cars come with more than 1 style resonator.

Our parts worked, but your's didn't. I purchased directly from Vibrant. So according to your logic, you should check with your supplier.

No need, I’ve sold countless 17950 and never once has it “not worked”. Don’t say “your parts” when you didn’t buy anything from me nor did you use the size I recommend (3” 17950).

Need some re assurance hit the back button and look at the thread count...just under 100k views and 750+ comments, and the overwhelming consensus is the Vibrant 17950 works.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Okay experts, infuse me with your wisdom.

My current exhaust setup is just a straight muffler delete. Stock resonator still in place. I like the sound but I want to eliminate some drone and bring the volume down a bit. It's just a little much right now. Would a vibrant UQ resonator be quieter than the stock one? Are there any axle-back solutions? I was thinking a CSS muffler might be a good option but am still on the fence.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Okay experts, infuse me with your wisdom.

My current exhaust setup is just a straight muffler delete. Stock resonator still in place. I like the sound but I want to eliminate some drone and bring the volume down a bit. It's just a little much right now. Would a vibrant UQ resonator be quieter than the stock one? Are there any axle-back solutions? I was thinking a CSS muffler might be a good option but am still on the fence.

If you intend to keep your stock downpipe the css muffler is a fantastic cheap solution