GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
If not, I may sell the whole lot and rock the stock setup with the CS-S muffler. It sounds really nice, just a little tame for me.

I know a of a good home... ;)

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
You could start your own experiment with multiple resonators & mufflers burning through time & money hacking your exhaust over and over, or you could take advantage of people who've done all that already and go with the end result of their experiments.

Anywho.. if you decide the former let us know what you find. There's a chance it will be entertaining ;)

I have and would love to share my findings:

So I started w Stock DP+res+css muffler.

I installed IE DP and shortly after installed the Vibrant 1119 unit instead of stock resonator. Car became way too quiet with a bad drone around 3k.. I replaced that unit 24h later (mind you, as far forward in the exhaust system as possible) with the vibrant 17950. Much better and louder, but surprisingly still quiet. I’m quite upset because there is still a very bad drone around 3k RPM under load in high gear.

I feel the 17950 has done nothing for drone as it sounds the same as 1119 and stock resonator, it’s just a middle ground between those two where the only difference has been overall volume.

The drone is becoming frustrating and I’m running out of ideas. I like the sound level of IE DP+Vibrant 17950+CSS Muffler otherwise

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
I just wanna know what people were experiencing before they put 17930/17950 because the only difference I’ve noticed between that and stock resonator is overall volume and no improvement in mitigating the drone.

My last resort will be a capped resonance pipe.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
I just wanna know what people were experiencing before they put 17930/17950 because the only difference I’ve noticed between that and stock resonator is overall volume and no improvement in mitigating the drone.

I ran my EC catted DP with the stock CBE for a few weeks, had horrible drone from about 2700 RPM. It was also quite loud, but with a garbage sound, nothing like say, an Abarth exhaust. More like a slightly muffled ricey sound.

As soon as I put the 17930 on, all drone was gone. It is just a tad bit louder than stock if you step on it, and I like quiet, so I might replace the suitcase muffler down the line, but as it is right now I'm quite happy.

I'm really intrigued your 17950 didn't get rid of the drone. I placed my 17930 towards the back, with the add-on pipe at the front.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
I ran my EC catted DP with the stock CBE for a few weeks, had horrible drone from about 2700 RPM. It was also quite loud, but with a garbage sound, nothing like say, an Abarth exhaust. More like a slightly muffled ricey sound.

As soon as I put the 17930 on, all drone was gone. It is just a tad bit louder than stock if you step on it, and I like quiet, so I might replace the suitcase muffler down the line, but as it is right now I'm quite happy.

I'm really intrigued your 17950 didn't get rid of the drone. I placed my 17930 towards the back, with the add-on pipe at the front.

I placed my 17950 right up against the downpipe, I thought that was gtijake recommendation. I have given several car people rides over the last few days and each has complained about the drone. It’s ruining the driving experience as I always want to hang around 3k rpm. IE DP+17950+CSS Muffler

I think I will move forward with that “side branch resonator”

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
I placed my 17950 right up against the downpipe, I thought that was gtijake recommendation. I have given several car people rides over the last few days and each has complained about the drone. It’s ruining the driving experience as I always want to hang around 3k rpm. IE DP+17950+CSS Muffler

I had my resonator welded close to the bend/hanger because my DP is ceramic coated and the cat is at the end of it, so I didn't want the heat to shorten the res' lifespan by having it right after the cat.

Is your DP catless?

Last edited:

mk717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 A3 Quattro
Looking for some insight on my exhaust. Running a MAP catted DP, 17950 res, and Magnaflow CBE. Things sounded fine until I upgraded my turbo to the ihx475 now I get horrible drone at 2k. I always had a little hump there since I got the MF CBE but it's so much louder now. Thinking about going back to stock CBE and 17930 res. Just curious if anyone might have any ideas or opinions.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Looking for some insight on my exhaust. Running a MAP catted DP, 17950 res, and Magnaflow CBE. Things sounded fine until I upgraded my turbo to the ihx475 now I get horrible drone at 2k. I always had a little hump there since I got the MF CBE but it's so much louder now. Thinking about going back to stock CBE and 17930 res. Just curious if anyone might have any ideas or opinions.

Kind of uncharted territory with a turbo that big, but with that said I’d suggest trying a more tame muffler(s) on your current set up to retain the 3” you could definitely use in the 400+ whp range (aka, you’d feel it stepping back down to 2.5”).

With a larger turbo you’re fighting NA noise longer (slower spool, basically allowing the louder range to last longer).

Maybe dual mufflers in the axle back portion or something like this to help keep that low end bass tamed down a bit

https://vibrantperformance.com/cata...=1837&osCsid=473ed29157afe80bd7cc902e309a6fb5

Again, haven’t personally messed with a BT set up but this is where I’d start. Probably remove the MF muffler and add this.

mk717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 A3 Quattro
Awesome. Will look into that. Thanks Jake!

Loadblaster17

Passed Driver's Ed
Just wanted to add my experience to the thread in hopes that it may help somebody. I installed a CTS catted downpipe on my car which already had an AWE track exhaust. The drone was way too much for my taste! I came across this thread and purchased the Vibrant 17950 resonator. Took my car to a muffler shop and had them make me a new midpipe with the Vibrant resonator and add an extra hanger to the exhaust where it would sag tremendously. All I can say is that FINALLY I am super happy with the results! Jake I can’t thank you enough for the advice and pointing out that there was an extra hanger on the car.
For those of you who will question why I didn’t go the touring to track conversion, well I didn’t want to pay $400 for a midpipe and also this route allowed me to eliminate any chance of sagging with the exhaust. Cheaper and better results in my case!

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
No problem, let me know what you come up with. Now that more BT & hybrids are available I’m sure this will become a more frequent question

Jake - do you have a recommendation for a mid-muffler that would fit in the bend before the axle-back? I am struggling with the same issue, now having an EQT turbo in the car. The volume increased at least 30% over the IS38. It is a freaking animal now, and I would like to tame the volume down a bit.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Jake - do you have a recommendation for a mid-muffler that would fit in the bend before the axle-back? I am struggling with the same issue, now having an EQT turbo in the car. The volume increased at least 30% over the IS38. It is a freaking animal now, and I would like to tame the volume down a bit.

Just sent you an FB message before I saw this - how is your drone at 2800RPM? Options are limited for small mufflers.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Not sure what your setup is, but for that location I’ve used Borla XS Pro on my personal car paired with a 17950 and it was very tame, but good sound and high quality 304L construction. I actually sold that setup to build something more aggressive, so 30% louder from the BT would probably put it in a good spot on the aggressive side of the spectrum