GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
If you have drone with everything stock you have something "loose" somewhere in the drivetrain. I am getting some noise that seems like drone and I noticed that the engine mount is moving a little more than normal. BFI motor mount, insert, and Powerflex Hybrid puck are on the way.
Negative - it happens in 5th and 6th driving uphill anywhere from 2000-3200 on the highway.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Negative - it happens in 5th and 6th driving uphill anywhere from 2000-3200 on the highway.
That where my noise is coming at. Any gear going uphill that ends within 2000-3000 rpm, running all stock exhaust. I had plenty of droning exhaust on 4 and 8 cyl and this one is slightly off which is pushing me to believe it is something vibrating. I was going to swap the mounts anyway as I am getting tired of the slap the engine makes on acel/decel. I'm building a custom exhaust so if that is not it I will take it into account and probably installing a 1/4 wave chamber.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
That where my noise is coming at. Any gear going uphill that ends within 2000-3000 rpm, running all stock exhaust. I had plenty of droning exhaust on 4 and 8 cyl and this one is slightly off which is pushing me to believe it is something vibrating. I was going to swap the mounts anyway as I am getting tired of the slap the engine makes on acel/decel. I'm building a custom exhaust so if that is not it I will take it into account and probably installing a 1/4 wave chamber.
Keep me posted.

Spavel893

Car(s)
2019 GTI
So I currently have a stage 2 GTI with a catted unitronic downpipe with stock catback. I've been watching a hours of videos of how to get a louder, deeper (less tractor sounding) setup than the stock and found Jakes to be the best sounding imo. However, it's out of my price range. Any way to get a similar setup for somewhat cheaper? I was thinking Magnaflow with a vibrant resonator? or Ulitimate racing with the 2 resonators attached?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So I currently have a stage 2 GTI with a catted unitronic downpipe with stock catback. I've been watching a hours of videos of how to get a louder, deeper (less tractor sounding) setup than the stock and found Jakes to be the best sounding imo. However, it's out of my price range. Any way to get a similar setup for somewhat cheaper? I was thinking Magnaflow with a vibrant resonator? or Ulitimate racing with the 2 resonators attached?

Just my OEM Fitment Resonated Midpipe ($475 & bolt on) or a locally fabricated Vibrant 17950 to replace the OEM res is all you need to sound deeper/sportier.

Louder & good is expensive 💸💸💸💸

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I run a full ultimate racing turbo back. 200 cell metal catted and resonated downpipe and then for the catback section I did the resonator with the mufflers as well. Very very deep tone, not tractor-y at all even in the slightest. I did have some issue with boomy resonance but I ended up tracing it to my tips touching/rattling my aerofabb rear diffuser and the heat shield under the trunk being loose. I love the tone of this setup. If you get on it it's fairly loud but still quiet when cruising.

Spavel893

Car(s)
2019 GTI
Just my OEM Fitment Resonated Midpipe ($475 & bolt on) or a locally fabricated Vibrant 17950 to replace the OEM res is all you need to sound deeper/sportier.

Louder & good is expensive 💸💸💸💸

Just curious, what other louder & Good brands out there? I know everyone mentions Remus, but I also saw one of your comments saying Remus isn't actually all that.

I run a full ultimate racing turbo back. 200 cell metal catted and resonated downpipe and then for the catback section I did the resonator with the mufflers as well. Very very deep tone, not tractor-y at all even in the slightest. I did have some issue with boomy resonance but I ended up tracing it to my tips touching/rattling my aerofabb rear diffuser and the heat shield under the trunk being loose. I love the tone of this setup. If you get on it it's fairly loud but still quiet when cruising.
Do you have a video of the setup by any chance?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just curious, what other louder & Good brands out there? I know everyone mentions Remus, but I also saw one of your comments saying Remus isn't actually all that.

I was disappointed enough in what’s offered for this platform that I developed an entire line of products to fill that void.

Not sounding like a tractor or having cabin drone with a aftermarket downpipe has escaped the entire industry as far as loud exhausts go.

This entire thread is here as free advice to bandaid other brands.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I'm one of those that stands by Baun exhaust. I had a borla and couldn't stand it, i got lucky enough to sell it to a buddy at the same price I bought it at. It might be expensive but its worth it

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I'm one of those that stands by Baun exhaust. I had a borla and couldn't stand it, i got lucky enough to sell it to a buddy at the same price I bought it at. It might be expensive but its worth it
Same...but sold my Borla for $100 less than I bought it. It was worth it.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
This is a subjective question because it all depends on what you gauge as a louder and good sounding exhaust... back in the day (mid 80's to early 2000's) I didn't care about drone and I loved the sound of 4 cyl on Flowmaster Super40, they had a weird sound that made them very distinct. Now I puke when I hear that noise. The next muffler that used to sound good (even better than Borla) was Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers, but the sound changed ever since they started producing their welded series on cheap thinner stainless. Their VT Series sounded great on my 2011 Camaro SS, no drone, no rasp with an LT system with no resonators on, as long as you could tolerate the hideous flapper clicking on hard decelerations once the little buffer they install wears off.

Vibrant mufflers look decent and given the results of their 17950 they should sound good as well. Dynomax... what a let down, no 3" oval on the stainless series and the flimsy walls of the welded tend to resonate a bit too much. Magnaflow are built like a tank, but there is something about their sound that I dislike... I also opened two of their large 6" round mufflers for my truck to weld them together into a huge oval and one of them was missing 1/4 of the sound deadening material. Not going there anymore. Remus sound good with OEM downpipe or a decent catted downpipe, catless sounds like crap, just like the GM cars with Corsa.

Reactions: htr

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI

I personally think my AWE track exhaust and 4" catted Trackslag DP sounds good. It gets boomy at low RPMs in high load situations but it's more than bearable when cruising and sounds great wide open.
It's the sound my inner 14yr old ricer wanted, it's loud but it's not buzzy or weird or annoying. It doesn't sound like a tractor. It's a $2k+ turbo-back though.

I don't say that to say Jake doesn't make a great exhaust, I currently run some other stuff he makes, I'm just saying everyone has a price point their shopping and if it's on the low end I don't think you're going to find anything but loud.

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S

I need to get a video of it once the weather around here warms up a little. Haven't had a chance yet.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Magnaflow are built like a tank, but there is something about their sound that I dislike

I have a Magnaflow system with a Vibrant 17950 welded in and an APR downpipe. The Magnaflow sound is deep and muddy - not raspy at all, even without the 17950. But after a few years with this setup, the sound has definitely gotten louder and throatier. Still not raspy, but has more personality to it. Not sure whether the muffler, the resonator or both are the cause of this.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I was disappointed enough in what’s offered for this platform that I developed an entire line of products to fill that void.

Not sounding like a tractor or having cabin drone with a aftermarket downpipe has escaped the entire industry as far as loud exhausts go.

This entire thread is here as free advice to bandaid other brands.
The 17950 is not an option for Rs due to the driveshaft and that need clearance it seems -so I really don’t know what else to do